CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

coon hunters from all around-- we all have it in common that we love the outdoors, we love to see dogs working, and we love to brag.... one thing that differs from that equasion is the breed of hound we hunt. now you can talk abt how sry somebody is, you can talk abt his woman, you can talk abt his truck, but heaven forbid you put down the breed hound he hunts... now i am serious as i can ever be and maybe by a shot in the dark someone that reads this on this forum was present when this took place but i was on my first ever comp hunt (i was not entered, i was a spectator) in leeds, alabama in 2004. the group consisted of my cousin, 2 gentlemen in their mid 30s, a lady in her early 30s, ...... and a 12 yr old kid whos father was the judge for the night. my cousin hunted is black and tan, 1 gentleman an english, the 12 yr old a blue, the lady a black and tan, and the remaining gentleman a walker.. as god as my witness, that 12 yr old boy stayed on the gentleman with the walker like stank on s***! he would not leave that guy alone to save his life because he hunted a walker dog. he made that guy so mad and bein the boys dad was judging, he loaded himself and the dog up and cut a trail!!!

now that was jus a little insight on my perspective of the importance and the determination of a coon hunters beleif in his particular breed of hound. my question is WHY is that? what brings that bond between hunter and his breed of hound and do i even have that special something? i ask because i favor redbones. i dont know why they just spark an interst, but i like blk an tans, walkers and plotts... your avg everyday coon hunter (from my experinces), thats a big no-no. now i dont want anyone to try and sell a particular breed... i just wanna know why you favor that breed of dog so that i can fulfill that long lost something that keeping me from "hooking up" with the greatest hunting companion i could ever ask for. looking for lots of feed back. thanks and happy hunting

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have tried other breeds and it did not feel right for some reason. but you will never hear me knock another mans breed of choice for any reason. with that being said i think i am a walker man because thats what the men hunted that got me into coon hunting. if they hunted black blue red etc thats most likely what would be in the back yard now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think Style has a lot to do with how a hunter chooses his breed.. Of course your gonna have OddBall dogs that hunt just like another breed. But each one is known for a specific trait. whether it be a Red with a beautiful voice, a Blue to be a Pleasure hunters, Walkers as a B-line dog, you could literally list strong traits in each one that the others usually don't have. As for those who talk trash about another mans dog. well that usually is just a simple minded fellow with not much else in his head.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i hunt walkers. I wouldnt mind have either of any other breed. expe. redbones there down right good looking hounds in my mind. But i no the walker genetics so i can stick to em. Idnt what id down that cast. Might of lost it. The easiest way to make me mad is to down my hounds. Just makes me mad. Look at the rules though if he was on him so hard might of be able to scrath him. If you got him to say certain things. lol

In my mind some kid should of got whipped for not respecting someone older then them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the breed dont matter to me its how they will hunt....but when u raise a dog it becomes part of your family or it does here, now if someone talked about your kid when there to young to defend there self your going to get pissed and want to whoop some ##*%* now your dog can be the same way... i really dont think its the bred in general it just happens to be the bred that they hunt so u talk bad about that breed your just running there dog down... i cut up about walkers all the time but i got 2 myself my female is the best tree dog we got and just got a 8 week pup and got 3 black n tans but i get raged all the time by my buddies and we just go to the woods an settle if my dogs do better i rag him and if his do better i get raged its all in good fun but some people take it to the extreme and thats when you need to stop and chill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have 2 walkers, i dont really care what breed i hunt, or hunt with, i have had a plot and a redbone before, i think its just the way a walker dog looks, thats why i prefer to have a walker..

Tennessee Slick

Pr Mountain Top Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 pm 
IP:
Did I read you correct? 1 blue dog 1 english 2 black dogs & a walker?

I don't recall any reg hunting 5 dogs in a cast. Was this a buddy hunt or what?

I don't care what breed you hunt if it suits you that's fine by me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i noticed that same thing brian? Maybe the dad was a non hunting judge.

Idont care if i know someone that gives me crap about my dogs. But here latly ive had a guy talking to people talking bad on my dog. Ive called him twice and invited him to settle the score dog to dog. he wont ever.I dont care what the breed is everyone favors and rags a little bit. Long as dog goes in and does his job i see no reason to look at color.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A dogs breed don't matter to me but I prefer blue dogs because of the cold nose I don't care how far they hunt as long as they have the
meat when i get there.

If your not armed your a victim.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hunt walkers because that is what I stumbled into coon hunting with and that's just what I've stuck with over the years. I like big bodied, long eared blueticks too. I think they look cool, but I've never owned one. I want to add an english dog to the kennel later this winter. I just like the way they look. No red or black dogs. Nothing against them, I've never hunted with one, they just don't do it for me. I keep walkers just because that's where I started. Maybe one day I'll change. I would never down a guy's dog because of its breed. If it runs and trees and isn't mean I say it's a good dog. Who cares what color.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

As for me when i got into coon hunting i looked at servel dogs. Fell in love with long black ears brown muzzle and little brown pumpiken seeds over the eyes.I have two bnts and one walker not by choice for the walker but my wifes. I hunted with all breds have seen good and bad in all. To me it seems like everybody has a walker.I just really like my black dogs.Will own other breeds as long as they can do what they are breed for.Coon hunting is no diffent from any other sport you gonna have people talk about stuff that bothers you just settle it in a sportmans like coduct.As for the young boy and man i hope the walker spanked his dogs rump just to shut him up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Color don't matter one bit . I've owned or hunted with every breed there is. I had a beagle that i would've put up against any coonhound in the world. It don't matter. Isn't it about enjoying the dogs and the hunt anyways?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sorry abt the details before. i didnt know i had to be specific of the whole hunt and the reason the numbers arent adding up to all of you readig my post but to answer you gentlemens question, the lady was on her first comp hunt with a enetered dog and a 20 yr old female who was a lil distracting if you catch my drift, spectating... she was in a completely dif cast from the other side of the mountain. her dog picked up a cold trail and ran it an treed with our cast. how a dog tracks and ends up miles away, ill never know (from deer hunting with redbones, we spent more time hunting our dogs). the judge called the nearest cast and she spoke up, drove around, and the hunters in our cast agreed to let her "get a lil work in" off the books... it was late and i dont think anybody had any concern abt her dog interfering... haha. so there you go. thats how you end up with 5 dogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:01 pm 
IP:
coreyb205 wrote:
sorry abt the details before. i didnt know i had to be specific of the whole hunt and the reason the numbers arent adding up to all of you readig my post but to answer you gentlemens question, the lady was on her first comp hunt with a enetered dog and a 20 yr old female who was a lil distracting if you catch my drift, spectating... she was in a completely dif cast from the other side of the mountain. her dog picked up a cold trail and ran it an treed with our cast. how a dog tracks and ends up miles away, ill never know (from deer hunting with redbones, we spent more time hunting our dogs). the judge called the nearest cast and she spoke up, drove around, and the hunters in our cast agreed to let her "get a lil work in" off the books... it was late and i dont think anybody had any concern abt her dog interfering... haha. so there you go. thats how you end up with 5 dogs

This makes less since than the 1st post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i mean you have seriously gotta be kidding me. first off the subject of this post dont have anything to do with some of the questions being asked.. its about the specific breed of a coon dog. sorry that you guys are lost on something as simple as her dog run off, ended up with our dogs and since the hunt was almost over, they let her hunt her dog without being scored... you know hunters helping hunters... not hunters badgerring enthusiasts about petty details in a post that are completely out of context. however i appreciate it in a way so that next time i have a ? and want an opinion of a true coon hunter, to jus leave out what i have seen. wow. thanks anyway guys