CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Crossing Property Lines
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Friend of mine hound struck on land he had a permit to hunt. Cold track that wandered around until it turned hot. Trouble was the hound was headed for posted property. Friend tried to call his hound off the track but nothing doing. Long story short, ended up treed on posted land. About 20 yards inside. Man that owned the property "just happened" to be "checking fences". (That was his statement in court.) Friend got to the fence and tried calling his dog off the tree. After a few minutes he laid his 22 rifle down, climbed through to get his hound. Land owned met him at the tree. weapon in hand, and detained him until the law came. All they could stick him with was hunting on posted, without written permission. (Which is required here in Tn) $286.00

Most would agree was B S, But the land owner stated in court that hunters at night had been cutting his fences, and running on property with 4-wheelers. Had photos to prove it. My friend just happened to be the unlucky one that got caught, trying to do the right thing. Left his rifle, so wasn't going to shoot the coon out. All he wanted was retrieve his hound. Raw deal, but the result of others ruining our places to hunt.

If this keeps up guys we are not going to have woods to hunt in.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree 100% that all people should respect other people's land. Here in Missouri the law reads that any hound hunter has the right to retrieve his or her dog on any property posted or not, although if you don't have permission to hunt you don't have the right to shoot the coon. With that said I have had friends that have lost hunting ground because of either them or them people with them disrespecting people's land.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am 100 % with you on the respect of the land and land owner. down here in east tx where I live you have to get on a lease to hunt. I used to hog hunt a lot. and had lots of places to hunt for free. but the fence breakers and theves have took care of that. instead of going and asking a landowner to hunt these outlaws had rather slip in there and take a chance and that's why landowners are always fixen fence. But I know and understand both sides me and my brothers owen about 650 acres and we donot have it posted I would like to leave it that way but I nore my brothers would ever trun a person in for going and getting there dogs. I run lots of squirrel and coon dogs start a lot of pups. im glad I stay in good with the landowners. I will tell you thise I drove up in my woods one day got out of the truck seen some hog hunters there did not no them walked down to where they were asked if they had any luck. one big burly guy stepped up and said who are you I told him my name and he said That I needed to leave because I did not have permission I told them have a good hunt but when you leave do not ever come back. ????????? What would you have done as a land owner. this is why the good old days or over and its just going to get worse. and a lot of people are going to get prosecuted even the good old boys that on any given day would have help that same land owner get a cow or a horse back in the pasture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

in oklahoma we lost are right to retrieve. when we had the right I had a similiar situation. The land owner had a rifle and called the sherrif. i knew the law and wasnt to worried but it was great when the sherriff asked me if I wanted to press charges on the land owner for kidnapping/holding hostage with a deadly weapon. your buddy should have looked into that as Im sure the land owner would have dropped his charges

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Well how do u suppose to get ur dog back after if trees cross property line cause a good dog ain't gone leave that tree if it knows that coon is there and as I've always been told a dog can't read no property line ner can they understand em I'm a young guy and I respect land and all I have actually called my neighbor and told em my dog had treed on their land and was told to shoot the damn coon down they didn't want em there anyway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Over the years I had positive experiences with land owners, yet there's always that one who has been taken advantage of or was just born ##*%* first and stayed that way. Different laws for states and we all need to aware of the one's that apply to us. Like everyone else my biggest clashes have been with deer hunters.

Lived in Arkansas for awhile and I had farmers calling me to hunt their land. Not so here in part Tn I live in now. Hard to find places to hunt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

MObigE wrote:
I agree 100% that all people should respect other people's land. Here in Missouri the law reads that any hound hunter has the right to retrieve his or her dog on any property posted or not, although if you don't have permission to hunt you don't have the right to shoot the coon. With that said I have had friends that have lost hunting ground because of either them or them people with them disrespecting people's land.

Mo, I believe you still have to have the landowners permission, or you are trespassing. You DO have the right to retrieve your hound, but you need permission from the landowner to cross that fence. If they wont give permission, you should call the sheriff. Otherwise, all anyone would have to do is state they were just "getting my (their) hound". and go where they will. I'll admit up front Im not 100% positive on this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We are supposed to call the game warden if we cant get ahold of the landowner and he is supposed to retrieve dogs with us haven't done it yet but might be fun to give him a call at 2 am sometime haha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Bayoulee, you are right I didn't realize I didn't say that in my first post, but yes you have to try and get the owners permission first and if you can't then I guess you'd call the sheriff or conservation agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a good suspicion that deer dogs are Jackn coon hunters in the game with new retrieval laws coming into play....Dam deer dog running JACKASSES

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

See just gon to get ur dog shouldn't b a problem and hell findin the landowner within 6hours is a job in itself and hell most of the time all u can get is the name of the person an no number for them and the sheriffs around my county ain't gone help u with that they more than likely won't even come and our game warden would find a reason to give u a ticket cause u called him that's if u can even get his number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here in Texas we cant run deer dogs I think our problem is hog hunters they will just cut your fence and go in on your place. we have lots of theif as far as game cameras and feeder timers. I was told buy two hog hunters that called the game warden at 1:00 am in the morning that the land owner would not let them go and retive there dogs that they could be fined if the land owner wanted to prosecuit for there dogs being on his place trespassing. The owner made them waite till there dogs finally came out the game warden said he did not have the right to let them retrieve it is up to the land owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ive never known a good coonhunter to cut a fence..BUT I know of poachers that shoot deer and other game cut the fences to get them out..Coonhunters usually get blamed...Around here theres hardly any good fences left.Its mostly hot wire and barbwire. Dogs have little if any trouble getting through that...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In Indiana we have a right to retrieve our hound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

NY doesn't have the right to retrieve. You're supposed to call the law if you can't reach the land owner or they refuse permission to retrieve it. We've been having a lot of hounds shot out here by land owners that they can't do. Thing is they can call the dog control officer but the dog trespassing is not a crime so they have to give the dog back. Personally I just don't get caught. And you'd never catch me anywhere without my gun. Some land owner does catch you and things get out of hand I'll have my protection even if I was wrong.

Profile  WWW