CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: why such high prices
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

in most states its coon hunting season now. lots of people are looking to buy a dog right now. supply and demand. come spring time you will find some of the same dogs will be for sale for less and less money. a top coon dog will always be higher priced any time of the year. I have seen many many people look for and buy low priced dogs only to find out after they have lost $300 on this one and $250 on this one and so on, that by the time its all said and done they could of paid that combined amount and actually got a dog that didn't run deer, leave trees and everything most low dollar dogs do. that's why they are cheap. my best advice is to find you an older dog that is still a decent coon treer. that dog will teach you and your son more about hunting coon and how a dog is supposed to perform than any book or man will. if you do not know what a coon dog is suppose to be and no knowledge of training a pup, you don't need a pup. you get a pup and if it don't make it your son will still be attached to it.. you will feed it till the day it dies of old age. once you find an older dog that is still a good dog you will learn what a decent dog is and why the good ones cost more.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Very good point TC. That's very good advice.
Again the crossbred hounds will be cheaper than reg. So if you take both opinions expressed then you should be a little closer to your number. But hunt the dog first. Take out on trial if possible. But remember the dog isn't going to hunt the same with you as he would with owner before you. The dog just won't be used to you. And prolly ain't gonna trust ya for a couple weeks.
But if the dog is a COON dog then it will still hunt.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

And your son should earn the dog. It will make him appreciate the dog more. He'll learn to respect the fact it costs $$$$$.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Kids should have to work damn hard to get a dog to prove they really deserve one. These people that get things handed to them for little to nothing just dont have the same appreciation for things as people to work hard to get them. A truly consistent coon treeing dogs selling price should start at $1000 unless its old or something like that. That simply is not a lot of money these days. Especially for the time and effort it takes to turn something into a nice dog, not even considering the money it takes. If you had a dog and were offered $500 for it then someone else offered $1000 why would that dog not be worth $1000?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Most people who complain about not being able to afford something, are the ones who drink beer and smoke cigarettes like they are going out of style. I am not saying that this is the case here, but people need to get their priorities right. I have a high paying job, which i got by paying my own way through college, my wife stays at home, and we have three kids. I find extra work on the weekends to pay for my coonhunting addiction. it is all about priorities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use to feel the same way about dogs being to high priced. I sold all mine about 8 years ago and pretty much gave everything I had away. When my son turned three I took him with a guy I had sold my dogs too and while we were driving home that night he said he wanted a coondog. That got my fire going for coon hunting again and its more of an obsession as my wife describes it. I started looking around for dogs and thought people were crazy to pay these prices for dogs or equiptment. It took a while but I found a young dog for free to start with played with him til hunting season and found an old dog. She was slow,old and was spayed because she had problems with having pups. Traded a shotgun and a chainsaw for her to the old man with a week's trial. Treed 2 coons the first night in the woods. Got real lucky on that deal cause I had less than 300 in the gun and saw. Trained my young dog the next kill season hunting with a used 22 from a buddy and a $15 dollar mag light from Walmart. Didn't take much to get started and had a million dollars worth of fun,my son enjoyed it even more cause he got to stay out late with dad. In the last 3 years since then I have bought a Garmin,collars, 2 coon lights couple pair of hunting boots and god only knows how much gas and dog food. But I have worked my tail off to hunt and train these dogs I have now and there is no way I would give them away for dirt cheap for any reason. It was hard for me starting out all over again with 2 kids a wife and bills up to my eyeballs but I did it. Like my dad always told me when u shut your mouth and put your head down the work gets done a lot faster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can understand your point on price and I understand everyone else's but it is what it is your not comp hunting papers don't tree coons (they help) maybe you should consider a bmc or mountain cur get a pup they have all sorts of price ranges you'll. I've had hounds and curs I love b&ts and English and I love Ladner bmc. The reason I recommend a cur is (my personal opinion) they are multi use coon,squirrel for me but a hell of a family pet at the same time and the ones I dealt with kinda trained them selfs. You could also trap in the winter take profits put on dog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:18 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

oldbluboy706 wrote:
I use to feel the same way about dogs being to high priced. I sold all mine about 8 years ago and pretty much gave everything I had away. When my son turned three I took him with a guy I had sold my dogs too and while we were driving home that night he said he wanted a coondog. That got my fire going for coon hunting again and its more of an obsession as my wife describes it. I started looking around for dogs and thought people were crazy to pay these prices for dogs or equiptment. It took a while but I found a young dog for free to start with played with him til hunting season and found an old dog. She was slow,old and was spayed because she had problems with having pups. Traded a shotgun and a chainsaw for her to the old man with a week's trial. Treed 2 coons the first night in the woods. Got real lucky on that deal cause I had less than 300 in the gun and saw. Trained my young dog the next kill season hunting with a used 22 from a buddy and a $15 dollar mag light from Walmart. Didn't take much to get started and had a million dollars worth of fun,my son enjoyed it even more cause he got to stay out late with dad. In the last 3 years since then I have bought a Garmin,collars, 2 coon lights couple pair of hunting boots and god only knows how much gas and dog food. But I have worked my tail off to hunt and train these dogs I have now and there is no way I would give them away for dirt cheap for any reason. It was hard for me starting out all over again with 2 kids a wife and bills up to my eyeballs but I did it. Like my dad always told me when u shut your mouth and put your head down the work gets done a lot faster.

Great Post!

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got lucky and got a 5 year old female for free and already had a guy give me a light that I just had to buy a battery for it so far I m happy with the dog she might not tree every time we go but she does tree and my younguns enjoy goin with here

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank the lord

Maybe he is done whining

Sent from my LG-L38C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The bottom line is a dog is worth what someone will pay for it. For some people 1000 dollars is chump change for some it's life savings. It doesn't change the fact that if someone will give 1000 or 10000 that's what the dog is worth to that person. Don't get me wrong I've payed for dogs I thought were worth the money and figured out later they were not but at the time I bought them they were worth what I payed. I have no sympathy for the I want something for nothing just because I have a kid or am new to the sport . The sense of entitlement in our society today makes me wanna puke. I'm sorry I know that sounds bad and I will help anybody out that I can but I have my own kids and problems.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Amen meathunter.

Sent from my C5155 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Meat hunter I get what you mean about being worth what someone will pay but its been a while since I've looked at this post cause I figured out what I need to do and for the ones who think I'm whining like I've said before don't read it if you don't like it I just asked the question trying to figure it out I took a chance on the free dog and didn't hu t her when I got her but she turned out fine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We'll I'm happy for you and your son. Good luck and maybe he can pass down to his son like it has been to me and like I'm doing with my son

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm a senior in high school and I got my first hound when I was 12 but I worked a whole summer away baling hay and doing other jobs to buy her. I have made many sacrifices like not playing sports so I could work just so I can pay for gas and dog food but I believe that dogs are not outrageously priced because somebody has put lots if time in genetics and training to get them there. Although it's frustrating at times that's life and to be completely honest I don't even come close to breaking even at the end of the year but I hunt hounds because I love it not for the money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next