CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: whats the deal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

why do 99% of the people on here that sell dogs use the reason that they just have too many? that doesn't make any sense to me you say it's a good dog but you just have too many if you have too many why would you have gotten it in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: whats the deal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah and if you really needed to get rid of that dog because you have too many, why would you be getting rid of that one if it is a "good" dog.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

cooner921 wrote:
why do 99% of the people on here that sell dogs use the reason that they just have too many? that doesn't make any sense to me you say it's a good dog but you just have too many if you have too many why would you have gotten it in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

That is a true statement my friend they dont have time for a good one because a lot of them are to busy trying to help you lose weight by lightening your wallet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

why would you care why they want to sell it, if they had a better reason would it make you want the dog more.
finding a dog you like has nothing to do with why a person wants to sell it.
most people that buy a dog and get burned is because of their lack of knowledge on how to find one and not get burned.
buying dogs is just like buying used cars boys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:08 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:

finding a dog you like has nothing to do with why a person wants to sell it.
most people that buy a dog and get burned is because of their lack of knowledge on how to find one and not get burned.
buying dogs is just like buying used cars boys.

This is a true statement unfortunately :( And this is the reason so many newcomer's quit because they got burned by someone dishonest I think that every one selling a dog should show it in neutral woods and any one buying a dog be fair to an honest seller

Last edited by NSK on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

there are so many ways to get burned buying a dog.
and with that being said, even a veteran that's been in the hunt and search for a dog many many times gets their share of being burned too.
my reference to hounds and used cars,
just like a used car, when you go to look and shop for a dog,
FIND SOMEONE THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS COON DOGS AND GET THEM TO HELP YOU. hopefully it will be someone that you know and they are actually there to help and not as soon as they know you want a dog try to unload "their own" counterfeit on you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

one of the red flags on buying a dog is the seller that IS very willing to let you have a trial.
I have seen so many people give someone their money after being told if you don't like him just bring him back. only to never be able to find the guy again or if they do find him actually get their money back.
go hunting with the dog and go a few times. only believe what you see your self. if a dog is too far away and has to be shipped, pass on it.
if you have the patience you should be able to find a decent dog close enough to you to go hunt with it.
its a long row of hard learned lessons for most of us on how to find a dog and get it bought without getting burned.
as far as the red flag on the guy so willing to give you a trial. here is the tip on that.
most sellers that do have a decent dog will not let some one they don't know take the dog home to be cross threaded and then brought back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That subject can go both ways. I've only ever sold one coonhound so I'm not a dog jockey.
I was givin a young unstarted grade hound a few years ago. I only took it as a favor to a sick older gentleman that wished it to be started & I could do as I chose after, keep/sell.
I took it, got all shots upto date & had it well started( Treeing her own coon), I wouldn't called her finished.
I gave her for free to a youth hunter, a month passed and the boys Dad called & said please come get this dog, the boy hasn't done a thing with it, he just wants to say he owns a coonhound.
I got her back, I would say I finished her to a coonhound, got her single registered then gave her for free to another youth.
Same story again!....
Sold her for money to another man on trial.. He brought me the money 3 days later & couldn't believe I'd sell her so cheap. I told him the only thing wrong with her was she wasn't my breed of choice.
He only hunted her a few times then she sat in a pen for 6 months.
That man ended up selling her to the original Youth hunter that I had giving the dog to for free!!! And that kid paid good money together the dog back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
That subject can go both ways.

I will agree with this statement there some honest people out there but most are dog jockeys and this is very unfortunate for the inexperienced hunter . Some times even people with experience make poor choices :oops:
that's is apart of life and hopefully you learn from it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The main thing dog /hound people need to remember is culling the bad and sell/give away/or what ever you chose to do with the good ones but if the young dog/hound has faults shyness,mean, health problems then give that hound a hollow point 22 behind the ear. Some people think it's better to give away or sell a fault than to rid the world of it. I had a young hound at the age of 10 months old could tree an easy coon by himself . As I begain to hunt him with my older hounds I soon found out he was a gator in the making. instead of tring to shock it out or lying about it to sell him I gave him a hollow point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Personally, I wouldn't buy a dog/hound off anyone. My first beagle & first coonhounds were bought/given to me when I was young and they were good hounds.
As I got older I realized I don't always agree with the way some people train there dogs. I'm talking style not about people being harsh or abusive.
It also seems to me that the younger I got a pup and was the only master it ever knew, they seem to bond and listen much better.
I understand the cost and how much you can get into training a pup to a finished dog.
I just would prefer the time/money & sweat be my own.. Much more satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
I got a pup and was the only master it ever knew, they seem to bond and listen much better.
I understand the cost and how much you can get into training a pup to a finished dog.
I just would prefer the time/money & sweat be my own.. Much more satisfying.

You are rite, but not every knows how to train a hound there are a lot of veterans that know how to but there are a lot of new comers to the sport that dont have any idea what to do if you take a uneducated trainer and an uneducated hound what do you end up with ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it takes as much or more learned knowledge to know how to buy a dog as it does to train one.
if a person does not listen to people that have been through the hard lessons learned phase on either one, they will fail 99% of the time trying to do either one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

this is just the tip of the iceburg.. some of it I agree with and some I don't, but here are some tips compiled here that should help a guy out some at least.
http://www.coondawgs.com/dogbuying.html