CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

​I just read an article that summarizes a great recent study performed by North Carolina State University. The article explains that "the six-state study, part of the eMammal project, used citizen science camera traps to determine whether recreation activity disrupted wildlife in 32 protected forests. Researchers did side-by-side comparisons of protected areas with similar habitats but different hunting regulations, and compared sites on and off hiking trails."

This reinforces the findings in the ​​South Carolina Department of Natural Resourc​es study done twenty years ago that found Raccoon Hunting has no effect on Deer movement. I would like to find the actual study data and see if they involved any parks near me.

One interesting finding was that while hunted species were found slightly less frequently, predators were found more frequently. Especially Coyotes! What I derive from this is that it is not the activity that impacts the animals. It is changes in activity that impacts them. Suddenly flooding the woods on opening day of Deer season has an impact. Consistently hound hunting the property does not.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-06-hiking-minor-effects...

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Coonhound Bloodlines had an article detailing the findings about the South Carolina study. And you are right, that was around 20 years ago, or a little longer. I used the data and information from that article to get the USFW to allow coonhunting with hounds on the Little River National Wildlife Refuge in southeast Oklahoma.

I wish that I could find a copy of that article and study now, because I have another fight that is getting ramped up here in Wyoming. If anyone has any links, or the original copy of the Coonhounds Bloodlines Magazine they might sell me, I would sure appreciate it.

Tex

Treeing Walker and Trigg Hounds
Gillette, Wyoming

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BAR BAR 2 wrote:
Coonhound Bloodlines had an article detailing the findings about the South Carolina study. And you are right, that was around 20 years ago, or a little longer. I used the data and information from that article to get the USFW to allow coonhunting with hounds on the Little River National Wildlife Refuge in southeast Oklahoma.

I wish that I could find a copy of that article and study now, because I have another fight that is getting ramped up here in Wyoming. If anyone has any links, or the original copy of the Coonhounds Bloodlines Magazine they might sell me, I would sure appreciate it.

Tex

Nice Job! Love it when someone can actually get something done using logic. Here is a copy of that study.

http://huntingtactical.com/blog/deer-movement-myth-dispelled/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you very much. Houndsmen in this state have been catching grief from deer hunters, elk hunters and outfitters on several fronts. They keep saying they would like to work together, but it is sounding like they want houndsmen to make all of the efforts and concessions. Having the data from this study available will help dispute several of their points.

Thanks again.
Tex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BAR BAR 2 wrote:
Thank you very much. Houndsmen in this state have been catching grief from deer hunters, elk hunters and outfitters on several fronts. They keep saying they would like to work together, but it is sounding like they want houndsmen to make all of the efforts and concessions. Having the data from this study available will help dispute several of their points.

Thanks again.
Tex

You're welcome and good luck!

Profile  WWW