CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Head Scratcher
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Recently got back into big hounds after getting rid of the beagles. I got my hands on a 4yr old black n tan that trees squirrels in the day and coons at night. Has treed 1 coon in one trip and couldnt find the meat(maybe had it, maybe didnt) the next trip. Thinking i could use her to get this young walker going that i got for my daughter, i live trapped a coon. So i turned both of the dogs loose on this caged coon, black n tan didnt make a sound, just sniffed it a bit like it was no big deal, the walker, after getting over the shock of the growling coon, started bawling like crazy, never put teeth in the cage but definetly bawled enough that she is an intersted 8 month old pup. But it shocked me that my running dog did not show much interest in the caged coon, i figured she would tear into it and help get this pup excited and in fact it was the walker that showed all the excitement. The original plan was to go out tonight and release the coon with a head start in front of the dogs but since the walker didn't actually tree it when i hoisted it up a tree i thought i would wait a few more sessions. Anyways, THOUGHTS?????

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Head Scratcher
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

some hounds, even some finished hounds and some Grand Nite Champions wont bark at a cage coon. It isn't necessarily indicative whether or not the hound will make it or not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My 6 year old english wont pay any attention to a trapped coon and never has. She just looks at me like im stupid. Shes a coondog for sure though, shes treed me alot of coons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If he keeps treeing coon don't worry.I have a little B&T female that does the same thing. When she was about 18 months old a friend had a young hound and a caged coon,ask me if I would turn my female in with his on the caged coon.She wouldn't even bark at it,turned the coon loose and down the hill it went,cut the dogs loose and my female went in the other direction got a coon going on the creek behind us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You said in one trip the dog treed one maybe coon. Unless you've hunted with the dog more than that or know for sure it trees coon from others who hunted with it you should not use it to train a younger dog.