CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hes 13 weeks old now and has been treein cats for a week or 2 now but only barks at them about 20 times then starts playin around again hes not scared of anything i had him loose in our back yard and went in side for about 10 mins and heard him barkin went outside and he had a possum bayed up between the house and a trash can

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:05 pm 
IP:
My grand pa, he had a pack of july's...he usually didn't have it, but sometimes they would tree a coon, but he would always cull them/give them away cause he was a fox/yote hunter. He always like julys better, for there speed, that what he looked for in a hound, some people look for mouths, determination, he looked for speed! and jumping!! and he would always out run people with his dogs, from what i was told by him/other people who hunted with him, that he never got out raned, by any dog, when he had his pack of julys, But i hope your dog works out for you, looks good! *just makin some convo* thank you, god bless, and safe hunting.

Post subject: july and goodman hounds
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:44 am 
IP:
anybody hunt one of these breeds on fox or coyotes? if so. how are they? opinions please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hunt July Hounds on deer...they suit me just fine. I know a few people around here use them on fox as well, but I don't know them personally. From what I know about mine they can either be real hard running dogs or not, it all depends on what kind of dogs you start them with.

UKC CH AKC CCH'PR' Moss Blue Carolina Rain
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
AKC CCH UKC CH 'PR' Cruses PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk
AKC CCH 'PR' PoisonWhiskey Son of the South
'PR' PoisonWhiskey Hello Darlin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:54 pm 
IP:
I dont personally have any in my pack of foxhounds that I own, but I have some buddies who have a few I hunt with from time to time. The julys have decent speed, one is a half july/walker and he has a good nose and runs good, tight mouthed unless he is up in the front, the full blooded julys my buddy had seemed to be more hot nosed, still were tight mouthed. Another fellow I go on occasion with has some goodman blood, he likes them, the times Ive hunted with them they ran fine. Are you looking to run them in the pen or on the outside. The julys I have been around have good speed, but tend to be hot nosed, tight mouthed, and if ran in the pen (i dont do, but have another buddy who has a july or 2 and does) seem to be a little more short houred. It depends on what type of hunting your doing whether they will suit, most the ones Ive seen have been okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Gramps spoke highly of julys but he was referring more to the ones that quit running and started treeing coon.
I had one a few years ago where dogs were legal for running deer,and she was a fireball.
But like the other guy mentioned kind of a tight mouth dog I guess.
If you heard her open,best get your gun up and ready.
She would flat smoke a deer.
Never hunted yotes with dogs,but if I had to have another habit,Id probably be looking for a july.
That being said,I dont know exactly what Im talking about.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'd have to say I agree about the July's being a little tight mouthed. Like hickish mentioned if you hear our best one open up you know there is going to be a deer in front of her. Her two litter mates will open up pretty good if they jump one up, but they're pretty quiet while running one. In fact, we ended up putting a bell on one because she was running so many without barking a whole lot. I had to laugh at them once though....my fiance and I had split up in the woods trying to get ahead of them so I'd hopefully get a shot at the deer, and I caught my whole pack coming by. The deer had already crossed where I was, and they didn't see me at first-every one of them was running silent at the time. Finally as they were going by one noticed me and started opening up and running a little harder, and the rest followed suit. They think they're sneaky, but they never know where their mama might pop up :wink: Another thing about our July's is that they have a pretty distinctive bark...it's actually almost a squall, especially when they jump something. They'll even screech and squall like that in the pen during feeding time. Has anybody else noticed that in July's? Nobody else at my club runs pure July's, so I haven't had the chance to hear someone else's run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:03 pm 
IP:
The julys I have hunted with were tightmouthed, but not to a fault that they didnt open on a track, if they had a decent track they would open and run fine, but they didnt bark alot unless they were up in the drivers seat. Most (not all) Julys have a squeaky high pitch or squalling voice, it isnt one of their finer points, but they can run something, and they can catch something. I personally wouldnt own a dog that ran silent, but thats just me, ive never seen any of the julys Im around do it.

Post subject: xx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:17 pm 
IP:
I hunted coyotes for 40 years with Julys & caught many coyotes.
Julys being tight lipped is not true with the ones I had. They were all open mouthed.
Julys are my pick of any breed & they make great crosses.
I crossed mine with Plotts.
I ran coyotes, bobcats & Bears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've had all the foxhounds when i started years ago and found myself breeding and raising all goodmans now for the last 15years. They seem to handle alot better for me and also seem a little smarter.JMO I hunt mostly outside the wire and have had great success killing alot of yotes and fox with them. There's good and bad in all remember don't let anyone tell ya different. Give goodmans a try and i'm shure you won't be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Personally never cared for full blooded July's for hunting on the outside. The best Coyote kill dog pack i ever owned 1 was a lemon and white hound bought from David Hellums of Pearl, MS 2 were 3/4 Running Walker 1/4 July, and the other was a 1/2 Running Walker 1/2 Treeing Walker.

Most July's i have seen were good at running but not so good at having anything in front of them. Of course, thats what i see in alot of pen-hunted dogs, and the main reason i quit is how hard it was to find a dog that could actually run on the outside.

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject: JULY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dose anyone run July hounds?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my best friend has been running fox and yotes with julys for 20 yrs. they are by no means tight lipped and they run to catch in the woods. some of the best dogs i have ever deer hunted were with julys.we stopped hunting them on deer a few years back because they pushed too fast but ready to start back with. anyone know where some good july deer dogs are for sale? my buddies are strictly comp yote dogs. try and turn themout on deer and all the run are yotes. would love toget 3 or 4 if any one knows where some might be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've hunted with alot of julys.. there FAST FAST FAST.. and most of them are tight mouthed cause they run to catch, and there smart enough to sneak up on the fox before they open, cause if they start openin before they get close it'll be a loooooooooooooooooong run and they know it. .i've seen many july hounds put it all over running walkers, i've hunted with top fox hounds and the lower fox hounds, and i like julys better, they may not run all night, but the reason they don't run all night cause it don't take them all night to catch it :lol: anywho, i like julys if you get a good line, there like anything, theres good and bad in all breeds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hill_Top wrote:
I've hunted with alot of julys.. there FAST FAST FAST.. and most of them are tight mouthed cause they run to catch, and there smart enough to sneak up on the fox before they open, cause if they start openin before they get close it'll be a loooooooooooooooooong run and they know it. .i've seen many july hounds put it all over running walkers, i've hunted with top fox hounds and the lower fox hounds, and i like julys better, they may not run all night, but the reason they don't run all night cause it don't take them all night to catch it :lol: anywho, i like julys if you get a good line, there like anything, theres good and bad in all breeds

you no of some good line?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next