CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coon Feeder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm 
IP:
Any thought on how to make a junk free corn feeder for coons? (Deer/Turkey proof)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Take a 5 gallon bucket and at the bottom of it on the side , put a piece of 1" pvc about 4 inches long , cut on a 45 degree angle on one end and then slide the 1" pvc in the hole on the 5 gallon bucket ( the end cut on a 45 goes inside the bucket) . Nail it to a tree just high enough off the ground so a coon can reach inside the pipe and pull out the dog food or corn

Post subject: a little easier way
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Iv seen several made the way described above, and they work great, but there is a simpler and more effective way. Take that 5 gallon bucket and drill a 1 1/4 inch hole in it about 6 in from the bottom. Take the top off an empty paint can and drill the same size hole in the middle of it. Bolt the paint lid over the other hole in the bucket so that the holes match up. The paint can keeps the coons from eating up your buckets so you dont have to keep making new ones. They will chew right through that PVC pipe. The 1 1/4 inch part is important because it is just big enough for the coon to reach in and pull out a couple of pieces at a time, if he tries to grab a handfull, then his hand wont fit back out the hole.

and cowboy is his name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:30 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charles, if you go up to the search link above and type coon feeders, you'll find plenty of threads on this subject already posted on the forum.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just take an old tire and tie it about four feet off the ground on the side of a tree. fill the bottom of it with corn and add some water. Deer turkey and everything else cant get to it, I dont think they like the soured corn anyway. Coon will get right up there and feed on it. Set these not far off the road or where it is convenient for you to check. If you see water on the tire and tree you know youve had one feeding recently and you can turn the pups out. Great way to get pups started on the right track,coon. Dont do this too much to pups and dont only hunt them this way, they will learn real quick where these feeders are and will go straight to them if you do. You want em to go hunting good.

Post subject: feeder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

best type of feeder ive used is i took a 5 gallon bucket and dig a hole in the ground leavin just alittle sticken up out of the ground (few inches) fill it up 2/3 with corn and the rest with water. the water will keep anything other then coon from eating out of it since the coon is the only one gona go under water to eat once it gets stinkin the coon will find it and its almost impossible to keep it full after that

Post subject: coon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ive always used the bucket feeder with the pvc and had great luck and it really is a great way to start pups

Maycumber's Back Creek Bourban Kennels
Home of Neosho River Macey Joe
Back creek babe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

slider wrote:
Just take an old tire and tie it about four feet off the ground on the side of a tree. fill the bottom of it with corn and add some water. Deer turkey and everything else cant get to it, I dont think they like the soured corn anyway. Coon will get right up there and feed on it. Set these not far off the road or where it is convenient for you to check. If you see water on the tire and tree you know youve had one feeding recently and you can turn the pups out. Great way to get pups started on the right track,coon. Dont do this too much to pups and dont only hunt them this way, they will learn real quick where these feeders are and will go straight to them if you do. You want em to go hunting good.

We've done it this way for years, with real good success. I've got some out now, working with some young cur dogs.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:21 am 
IP:
once you've put up your feeder and put the corn in it about how long does it take for the corn to sour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

We use the tire on a rim, Drill about six holes in the side of a tire, I use the size of a door knob bit, its like 1 3/4 inch. Fill it up with corn and then fill with water. If you go fishing to start coons coming in just put your fish waste inside of rim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:30 am 
IP:
btt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It usually takes like 2-4 days for the corn to sour & for the corn to soak up the water.... but I think it depends on the weather too. :idea:

I have read that putting a packet of "grape" coolaid in that water really brings em running, so I am gonna try that later this year!!!
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:25 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

What I use is 1/3 of a 55 gal. plastic barrel. (top and bottom parts) Place it near a creek and fill it 2/3 full of corn and the rest with water. This method has worked great for me. I used the 5 gal buckets at first, but had so many coons coming in that they were going through a bucket in 3 days. now they will go through 50lbs every 2 weeks. Grape kool aid works wonders, too. Make sure you keep an eye on the water level as the corn starts to sour though. As long as the corn is under water you don't have to worry about deer, turkey, etc. I also, will pour some up and down the creek to draw them in.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

country-girl-coonin' wrote:
What I use is 1/3 of a 55 gal. plastic barrel. (top and bottom parts) Place it near a creek and fill it 2/3 full of corn and the rest with water. This method has worked great for me. I used the 5 gal buckets at first, but had so many coons coming in that they were going through a bucket in 3 days. now they will go through 50lbs every 2 weeks. Grape kool aid works wonders, too. Make sure you keep an eye on the water level as the corn starts to sour though. As long as the corn is under water you don't have to worry about deer, turkey, etc. I also, will pour some up and down the creek to draw them in.

So do you cut the barrel in half and put the corn and water in that way or do you cut holes in it somehow so nothing else will get in there?

Post subject: Re: Coon Feeder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:40 am 
IP:
we took some buckets and took the top off. then we used wire and tied them to the trees about 3 or 4 foot high. then we put some corn in and filled it up with water. they been out about 2 weeks and smeel bad but it don't look like nothings been in them. we put all 3 of them out up in the holler behind the house. we took our dog out 2 nights agho and turned her out on all the buckts she didn do much but dad said nothings been in the buckets anyway. we need to go hunting where more coons are but dad siad we have to wait cause our dog is in her heat.