CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: blueticks are fighters?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is it in the nature of a bluetick to want to fight? I have a male that turned 3 years old last night and very possesive of a dead coon. He is an outstanding coondog, he's never fought while treeing but after the coon is dead he doesn't want another dog around the coon. Last night when he treed the other hound didn't tree but milled around the tree and when i shot the coon out he grabbed the coon and ran over just a little way, dropped the coon and stood over it watching the other dog. A good friend won't hunt his young hounds with my hound because he says he face barks (intimadates) the other hounds on the tree, so is it blueticks in general or just different bloodlines of blueticks that are bad about fighting and what can I do to fix the problem because i would like to start comp-hunting with him.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You have a hound with a bad personality characteristic that needs dealt with! It can be found in any breed and I don't think any one breed is worse for it. Like your freind I don't like to hunt with such hounds either.
Neutering young males when they show the tendancy can help but yours is already to old. I would keep a good shock collar on him and teach him some serious manners unless you want to hunt him alone.

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You need to kick his ##*%* good and teach him that YOU own that coon and tree,not him.I wouldn't hunt with your dog either because that kind of behavior can be taught to other dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:25 pm 
IP:
TrueBlue wrote:
You need to kick his ##*%* good and teach him that YOU own that coon and tree,not him.I wouldn't hunt with your dog either because that kind of behavior can be taught to other dogs.

I guess i kind of have to agree with him!! Thats probably what i'd do!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Definatly something you need to work on but if you are comp hunting him you might be ok if he is a good dog. You dont shoot the coon in a comp. hunt.It is hard to be 100 % if the dog is mean sometimes if he will decide to fight on the tree which would get you scratched and people wouldnt want to be in a hunt you are in with any dog just cause it can leave a sour taste. I have seen dogs that only act posessive over coon that I think could comp hunt. I would even hunt with someone with a dog like that if they agreed to tie their dog up when we shoot the coon. But I would probably not let any dog chew on it just to not take the chance of jelousy and fighting later. I hate ill dogs myself and dont know if you can change a 3 year old but if you like your dog and it is good for you just some things to think about.TrueBlue has a pretty good idea to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

its not blueticks nature to be mean alot is what hes allowed to get away with [trainer].

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for your input guys. he's really a great dog' I got him when he was about 6 weeks old and hes been running and treeing on his own since he was about 5 months old without the help of older dogs. I hadn't coonhunted since I was a kid and had never seen this problem before. The face barking had to be shown to me because unless you were paying attention instead of shining the coon it wasn't that obvious. He has not fought while treeing but he did have a dog jump on him when he was younger over a coon. I guess i'll just have start tearing his tail up when he acts aggressive. Again thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

HEY I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I HAD TWO BLUE DOGS THE SAME WAY AND I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY YOU DONT WANT TO SHOCK THAT DOG WITH ANOTHER AROUND I DID IT AND STARTED A FIGHT I GUESS ONE DOG THOUGHT THE OTHER WAS HURTIN HIM ID TAKE THE COON WITH HIM TO ANOTHER DOG AND SLOWLY SOCIALIZE ALITTLE AT A TIME IT WORKED WITH MINE I GUESS HE FIGURED OUT HE CAN SHARE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:58 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have seen a lot of dogs that were posessive of a dead coon that were not aggressive, mean or face bark on a tree. If you think that you have a problem with a dog that is overly aggressive on the tree, I would not keep him/her. In my opinion, this is exactly what is wrong with some many folks breeding for the hard treeing characteristic. If you read the ads in the magazines, we act as though that is the only thing that matters in a hound. We should not be suprised when face barking and fights occur at the tree for it is merely a product of years of breeding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

any dog can be a fighter, just depends on how there raised and treated, if i were you i would carry a paitball gun with me and when i get to the tree ide shoot the coon out, with a normal gun of coarse, and then let another dog loose and as soon as yer dog snaps or growls POW! blow the hell out of his ##*%*, every time he growls or snarls or acts aggressive in anyway over that dead coon, blow the crap out of him with that paintball gun, he'll understand eventually. oh and for the paint, just hose him off with the water hose, it should get it right off, and it shouldnt hurt him that bad, just bad enough he knows not to do it again, we shoot each other with paintball guns all the time and the worst thing weve ever got was a big bruise.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Being aggresive over dead coon, food, tree's, in the box etc. etc. is not predominate in any specific breed. It is however becoming more and more of a problem with hounds in general. This is one thing I do not spend much time trying to fix. Often times a young highly excited dog can switch to aggression out of excitement, but with a good harsh correction that is remembered and well timed, these young dogs can be fixed. BUT, if a good lesson does not fix the dog, and the behavior is seen many more times the dog goes to heaven where it belongs. It can be the best track running, most accurate hard treeing game catching machine in my pack. If it fights, face barks and does not learn not to in very short order, it gets a bullet, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

looks like lack is on the same page as me, if a dog fights, he gets a dirt knapp, dont matter if hes dual grand 20 time world champion, the first time he gets mean with me over anything, or mean to another dog over anything, hes dead,i aint gonna pass him on to somebody else and give them a mean dog, im gonna kill him, and aint nobody gonna stop me, if im out hunting and somebody elses dog gets mean, ill shoot it too. i could care less. aint no mean dog gonna be around me, period.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My personal suggestion is to first get the dog neutered.....a lil brain surgery might fix this problem. This will lower the testerosterone in the dog, and should make him less aggressive. It will not happen over night though, after the testicles are removed, it takes a couple weeks before the dog is effected. The dog is not to old that it won't fix the problem, but the longer you wait, the less likely if will be a dominance problem but a learned behavioral problem. But along with him being neutered you must reenforce the behavior problem as well. Either with a big stick or a lil electric. Don't give up on him right away. But if the issue continues....the he might have to reside in the big dog house in the sky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:42 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I had a mean bluedog once. The first nite I ever took him with another dog I caught him face barking and trying to jump on her. When I went to the tree that S.O.B. bit me. I cocked back and hit that big ole joker in the eye like he was a grown man. I choked the dog till he almost passed out. 3 nites later I took him alone. he treed the coon and when I walked by him, he turned around and grabbed my jacket and starting shaking my arm like a rag doll. Needless to say, that dog isn't around anymore. But I learned 2 things from that dog,don't let them claim a dead coon, and don't turn your back on a bluedog.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I've had Blueticks my whole life and I am 46 years old.I've seen a few mean Blueticks and only owned one.Billy started getting rough with other dogs when he turned about 9 years old.He was never mean towards people,if he was he would have got lead poisoning.I've hunted with all the coonhound breeds and crosses and most of the mean dogs I've had dealings with were Walkers.I'm not picking on any 1 breed because I've seen good and bad in all of them.The best way to deal with a mean dog is a 22 long rifle hollow point.In my kennel there are NO SECOND CHANCES

Glynn