CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: what do yall think?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am 
IP:
Hi I'm a coonhunter from north ga I want to buy a pup out of big game stock and make a coonhound out of it .I hate this new independant breeding bunch of slick treeing idiots that can't even run adeer out of hearing .I wonder if a pup out of lion or bear dog stock would have more tracking ability than what I'nm finding in the coondogs. And would lion or bear stock be best.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: what do yall think?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You may find a very good coon dog out of big game dogs.A lot of big game guys out west breed for a lot of nose and trail drive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You can buy a dog out of coon hound stock and get a coon dog. You just have to be very particular about what you buy, hunt the parents if possible first. I don't know what breed you're looking for but I know a lot of bluetick breeders here are doin it the right way, breeding for track driving ability with the brain to figure out the tough tracks and put meat at the end of it. Some of our coon hounds are even turning into very fine bear hounds. My advice whatever you decide though is to do your homework and if at all possible, make sure the parents are doin what the people say they are.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm 
IP:
Thanks for the input. I hunted 20 years ago and had the privilege of owning a real nice hound. Starting back it seems like most of the dogs I've hunted with would probably look real good in the mid west. Where I hunt this independant style of dog wont do. If they don't tree with another dog they might have to go another mile to strike another one.