CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Best Big Game Hounds?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:14 pm 
IP:
In everyone's opinion what are the best breed big game hounds out there? Breed and breeder? I'm talking cat and/or bear hounds.
Thanks Jim

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i bear hunt with plotts..not sayin there the best but ive had really good luck with plotts..i also have some blueticks and walkers. my plotts are starmnt. / weems bred..i dont know of a specific breeder..up here in the north theres not alot of plott breeders.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Boy this right here can get some folks fired up.I always hunted with people and they hunt black and tans.And that is what i got now.And that is what i am going to hunt her on.i would say black and tan or plott or a red dogbone.my hunting parntner used to have swampland breed plotts and he swears they were far better than the ones he has now.He wants to get a couple more of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 am 
IP:
i hunt 2 walkers and a plott walkers are by far my fav out of all breeds of bear hounds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Do think plots have more endurance than the other breeds? I have always used walkers, but i have people telling me plots can go longer. I have always wanted a plot and i think i will get one to go with the walkers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the best breed of dog in the world.............is the one that catches your eye..............why that is the one you will hunt harder,take better care of,train harder, and have better results with than a dog that you personally don1t like

Post subject: big game bred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm 
IP:
The plott is the only hound that was bred specificly for big game.All other hound breeds have come from fox dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Many old time plott owners including some of the Plott family never called their plotts, "hounds" but rather plott curs. There is two types of plotts available today, the old time bear bred plotts, and the newer, long eared, bawl mouthed, loose skinned, large, heavy coondog plott. It is very hard to beat a bear bred plott on big game although there are some good dogs in every breed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:51 pm 
IP:
Looks like I'm gonna try an English here real soon on cat. Still thinking about a Plott. What lines of blues are good on big game? Womack, Sebastian, Vaughn? And what about Redbones and B&T's?
Jim

Post subject: big game bred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:13 pm 
IP:
I am biased in opinion but i've hunted with all types of dogs from all over the country and maybe it's just the strains of some dogs but, for big game blueticks are too slow. They are some of the best nose to the ground dogs i've seen but can't keep up to plotts on a jumped bear. Walkers are fast, can trail, but seems to me they lack the grit needed to make a tuff bear climb. Only seen a couple black and tans but don't think they can run full out with their head up. It all comes down to what works in the end and what makes you PROUD, because thats why WE DO WHAT WE DO as houndsmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Every breed can produce great bear hounds. Yes plots do have a tendancy to run with their head up more than blues do but the question asks about cat and bear not just bear and when on cats sometimes you need that dog that knows how to slow it down and put his nose down when the going gets tough. And if blues are to slow to run bear, then you havent ran with enough blues and are still wet behind the ears, no offense. Me I like walkers, but own plotts and blues and am looking into a cur. The biggest thing one needs to remember when talking about hounds and breeds is how the dog was trained and whose hands they were in. anyone can make a bad hound but it takes time to produce a great one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:48 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I think you touched on the real core of the matter jumpin bear while mentioning "The biggest thing one needs to remember when talking about hounds and breeds is how the dog was trained and whose hands they were in." I don't believe any more accurate words have ever been spoken by a houndsmen, as the man comes closer to making the great dogs than almost any other factor. It does help to have good genetics to start with, but the handler either makes or breaks the finished product.

I had the opportunity to run a bear years ago with a local hounddogger that had run hounds his whole life. He had treed one of the largest tom lions for a client that has ever been taken from this area. He and I talked hounds some while our dogs were out after a bear, and he stated, "you can often measure the size of a hound's heart for the hunt by looking at the man who trained him." I'm not saying that is a true and correct statement that always holds true, but it is food for thought.

Keep'em treed,
ike

Last edited by Ike on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:10 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree with Jumpin Bear and Ike. Every so often some one starts a post trying to find a magic line or breed of hound that just does it. I have news for you though. Generally when you find top hounds, you also find a top houndsman who has trained them, handled them and hunted them. Not much for magic lines or breeds but a lot of hard work and dedication of the houndsman!!

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

WEll said Mel, top dogs are made by top handlers by using lots of boot leather and gasoline!

ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I also have to agree with Mel's post...we have used a lot of boot leather and diesel.... We have a variety of dogs here. Two walkers, a walker/blutick mix and a bluetick... I have an English pup that I am will be running next year. All three of the first mentioned three dogs above are related. They all have the same Walker sire. They aren't anything special, just what a group of houndsmen have been linebreeding and trying to horde over the years and worked well where we are. We were very lucky to get our hands on three of them and hope to continue the hard work for these line of dogs. But I am almost always game to try something new... Just because I think it is fun.. But the 3 above will never never leave our kennel.

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW