CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: whats your opinion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what is everybodys opinion on plott dogs. i am going to use them for cat and coon hunting. are they hard to train i have two pups 4months old. let me know what u think

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: whats your opinion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm 
IP:
YOU ARE GOING TO OPEN A CAN OF WORM WITH THAT! IF YOU LIKE PLOTT THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS IF THEY ARE OUT OF GOOD BLOOD YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRAIN THEM I NEVER OWN A PLOTT THEIR IS GOOD ONE'S IN ALL BREEDS. ONLY OPINION THAT COUNTS IS THE GUY FEEDING THEM.

JEFF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

plots are good most likely to have grit good choice for starting.i have 3 in my kennel, 2 walkers for speed ,4 blueticks for the loud bawl ,1 mix breed he's my best rig dog and faster than the walkers and 2 redbone pups im working with now to see if i can get a real real cold nose dog.as time goes on you will see what you need for the way you hunt good luck with those pups

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:10 pm 
IP:
In my opinion plotts are smart, gritty, and overall very great dogs. The only negative that I have personally seen is the breed seams to be a little too aggresive in the box and at the tree. I hate to see dogs get bet up before they get in the woods. Im not saying all plotts are this way. Ive seen dogs from different breeding and different owners all overly agressive. Im not a plott guy but Im also not a plott hater. Ive seen some darn good plotts in the bear woods.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A good Plott is a great all round hunting dog. Shoot the box and tree fighters and keep the good ones. I have a little female here now that no amount of money could touch. I can't imagine ever being without at least one good Plott in my string. Good luck with your prospects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Good as any. Just get'em out there.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

plotts have the most gritt and when it comes to bear they will fight to the death and wont back down. the only bad thing i have is shyness ive had some that only i can catch witch is sometimes a good thing, but both the plotts i have now, no amount of money could buy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:14 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I like boots answer best, and that is if a man is looking for the best of several breeds of hounds. If a guy is running a large pack on bears and lions, then boots has mentioned the color of hounds that will most likely do what he mentioned.........

I have a mixed pack of lion and bear hounds, and did bring a plott dog into the pack nearly two years ago. He is not a mean dog and will handle, tree, bay and fight a bear with the best of them. In the first year he missed alot of trees, and I think that was a combination of trying to run or move his own track, not honoring the older dogs and a few trash problems, as that dog is pretty gamey....

The jury is still out on whether he has the nose my English and Redbones have, but he is now off trash and finishing to the tree. This spring I've found them pilled up on an old lion track and that plott is working the ground and cold trailing pretty well. I think by late fall it'll be hard to tell him from the others except by color.......

But I believe LCK is right in saying if you get a good one they are a plus, and if you get a bad one then cut your loses.........

ike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ike, I just love that pic! You know I am rooting for the Plott, have been sense you got him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks LCK, and I 'll tell Maverick that you're in his corner so he better not let you down...

Seriously, I believe sitting on the chain last summer during bear pursuit with infections from a porky fight probably gave him a little time to think about whether he wanted to share the hunt with me and my dogs or not.........and since that time it appears he wants to be part of the gang!

keep'em treed LCK, and spring is acomin!
ike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i know plottttts are a bad bad bay doggg hopefullly uve got good ones and not suicidal plottts,they want the bloood but theyll get u on the game thats 4 sure