CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Broke dog gone bad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I bought a broke dog from a man in NM came to me highly recommended from a trainer out there.The dog had over 100 bear kills i was told. sounded like it would improve my pack. well what a surprise he ran deer on our first hunt.the second hunt a month later the same thing is there any chance this dog will ever be a good bear dog again????

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Broke dog gone bad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

a hound with over 100 kills under his belt should no not 2 messs with trash,sounds like u gottt beat on this one got gritt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Well it sure doesn't sound good to me. Did any of the other dogs go with it on the deer race? I'll agree with Lead and say it sounds like you were probably mislead about that dog. Can you ever make a bear dog out of it? I'd say yes, but it doesn't correct the wrong that was done to you.

I wish I could say that a mule deer smelled different than a whitetail and that was the problem, but I have not first hand knowledge of that. There was a guy once told me that you (we) have to break a big game hound off every non-game animal in the area we hunt--meaning, just cause it's broken off a mule deer does not mean it wouldn't run elk, or sheep, or antelope. If he is correct, then maybe it just needs corrected on whitetails???????

Good luck,
ike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How often are you hunting this dog? I may have read your info wrong, but it sounds like you hunted him twice a month apart? Or did he just run deer twice with decent runs inbetween?

If this dog is only eing hunted once a month, there's your problem. You gotta get those dogs out and moving a lot. A hot blooded bear dog being penned up a month at a time is going to be a bit too wound up to think straight. Let me know what his hunt schedule is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK wrote:
How often are you hunting this dog? I may have read your info wrong, but it sounds like you hunted him twice a month apart? Or did he just run deer twice with decent runs inbetween?

If this dog is only eing hunted once a month, there's your problem. You gotta get those dogs out and moving a lot. A hot blooded bear dog being penned up a month at a time is going to be a bit too wound up to think straight. Let me know what his hunt schedule is.

I am working with him now i road him 8 miles twice a week and take him out to the woods at least once to e-collar him on the deer and let him think about it the rest. The dog has not ran deer on me the last month.The dog handles very well.Can not wait to get him to NC to see what happens when he is on the bear.The person that sold the dog is not returning phone calls but the trainer and other guide's have seen this dog do it soup to nuts.They are not happy with the way the man is treating this issue.The trainer said last time he saw the dog was in Utah bear pursuit.Now when i got him he did not want to do nothing but run and hunt.He would not handle well but you new he was hunted a lot after 2 trips with the e-collar he knows who's the boss and handle's well and has not ran deer hoping when we put him on bear and he is way out he does not do it again anything you think may help please bring it on.I think he just needed to be straighten out with the e-collar off the deer he is one heck of a dog if all goes well.He came from NM in November to NJ he was taken to NC all with in 48 hrs and hunted 5days brought him back to NJ for 3 weeks thought maybe needed time to adjust went back and he ran the deer took him back to NJ and e-collar him and thats were we are getting ready to go back to run him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

OH YEAH YOU GUYS OUT WEST IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHO SOLD THE THE DOG PM ME AND I WILL BACK IT WAS AN OUTFITTER.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds to me like you have it well under control. Was this dog put on hot tracks while in NM, or was he free cast? Do you free cast? Did the dog switch off of a bear, or jump one while coldtrailing or freecasting? Just curious, for conversation sake more than anything. I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well i just did what i told you do not know until we go back down to NC the dog handles like he has an owner again.he was a rig dog out their.We have not put him on a hot track. Yet he took a 6hr track once and we sent 2 dogs with him they were baying the bear kept moving took 3 hrs to get a boat to cross and got dark it was over picked them up the next morning on a back road.Have you ever seen this with a dog with this much experience.Just trying to figure what happened to him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we found an fresh slick where the bear crossed the road early in the mornin,i started walkin the dog in the woods and seen fresh bear sign he started hollerin soo we threw a couple more in with him they were on em hard by the time we got the boat ,the two other dogs stuck together and where deeeep and this problem dog was walkin along the edge of the swamp letting out a few yelps here and there soooo he did split away

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Boots wrote:
Well i just did what i told you do not know until we go back down to NC the dog handles like he has an owner again.he was a rig dog out their.We have not put him on a hot track. Yet he took a 6hr track once and we sent 2 dogs with him they were baying the bear kept moving took 3 hrs to get a boat to cross and got dark it was over picked them up the next morning on a back road.Have you ever seen this with a dog with this much experience.Just trying to figure what happened to him.

Yes I have seen it before. Especially when the dog has been moved a long ways from home. My buddy sent back east for a HIGH, HIGH, dollar Bobcat dog once. The dog was supposed to be straight on cats and could do it all from start to finish.
He got the dog out here, and spent time with it for a couple weeks, then came a fresh snow and we took him out. Cut a nice Bobcat track. It was snowing pretty good and this track was still crisp, only half hour old if that.

The dog would not go down the track at all. Tried everything, he would not go down the track. Found an older lion track, no go.

Called the seller, he said no idea why.

Sent the dog with other dogs on good track, he went but did nothing but follow and would not tree at all.

Long story short. The seller convinced him to keep trying for a good month. I wasn't there the day the dog switched on, but after that, he was a dang good cat dog again. I always figured he just needed some time to get used to all the new stuff in his life?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this is definatly good 2 hear lck,its the same deal whats going on with us.paid a pretty penny and got nothing but made fun of this whole bear season it was a disgrace,now we got all year to work with him and his faults!!!hopefully hell snap out of the bs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This topic brings up something I think people should know. I am going to start a new post on it.