CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think that I think opposite on the "a good cat dog makes a good coon dog", I think of it as the other way around, at least thats what Ive been taught by my buddies and guys before me. Sometimes they look for straight coon dogs to buy and bring up our way to run bear, cats, and coons. They say that if they can run a semi-old track or run a coon then they can run just about anything. Not saying either way is right or wrong, thats just what Ive been taught, thats why we start our dogs on coons first, after that its just a matter of putting them on some game and running them.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've had plenty of Good Coondogs that couldn't catch Cats. One time I had Three Coon dogs That I was trying to start a Cat which crossed the road in front of me. I Left One dog in the box, because she was chasing Elk all night and I was still pissed at her!

For 45 Minutes I tried to start that cat track with 3 "coon" dogs.. Finally after 45 minutes I went and Let the "elk Chaser" out of the box.. She went up there with all the other dogs just the same, Made a Circle and opened up and Moved the track out, Jumped it, and had it caught 20 minutes later.. And made it look effortless.

If Catching a Coon was qualification for catching a Cat, I'd be catching a hell of a lot more cats.. ;)

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I also feel that it is a lot easier to catch coons than bobcats. There a lot of dogs that can catch coons but not many of them can catch a cat. There are even a much smaller amount of dogs that can catch dry land bobcats. Your chances of catching a dry land bobcat with one of the hot nosed competition hounds that are winning the big hunts are about as good as Obama straightening out the economy.
Adios,
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:57 pm 
IP:
BuckNAze wrote:
I think that I think opposite on the "a good cat dog makes a good coon dog", I think of it as the other way around, at least thats what Ive been taught by my buddies and guys before me. Sometimes they look for straight coon dogs to buy and bring up our way to run bear, cats, and coons. They say that if they can run a semi-old track or run a coon then they can run just about anything. Not saying either way is right or wrong, thats just what Ive been taught, thats why we start our dogs on coons first, after that its just a matter of putting them on some game and running them.

I'd find new buddies or "guys before you" to talk to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Haha