CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wanting to start hunting cougars in my area. Any advice on where and how to get started. I'd like already trained dogs to start.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

what area are you in you left that out

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

DaleG wrote:
Wanting to start hunting cougars in my area. Any advice on where and how to get started. I'd like already trained dogs to start.

If your willing to spend the right kind of money, you can find trained lion dogs. They are not cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm in Washington State but have a cabin up the B.C. coast in Canada where I'll be hunting. I'm a bow hunter but the cougar and wolf population up there has exploded, with such little deer around now the cougars are coming into the yard attacking dogs, chickens... I was hoping to find a couple of older dogs that might not be getting enough time out there to get me started. I've been lookin around but mostly pups for sale it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 pm 
IP:
Unless the laws have changed recently. If you're not a resident of bc, you have to have a guide to lion hunt. I doubt owning a cabin qualifies as a resident unless you're a canadian with a place in washington. The second step is to find someone in that area CATCHING lions. Get a dog from them that way you know the dog will do it in THAT area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yah, I was actually born in Canada, so no problem there. Am a trapper up there too. I haven't had much luck in finding any other cougar hunters up there either. But thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Keep looking. There are a good many hardcore lion hunters in BC. I sure wouldn't tell them your on a mission to thin out the lion population though. We don't take to kindly to folks who get on a mission to just kill lions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh I understand. I'm living in the bush because I enjoy living with the wildlife. I want to see bears and wolves, know there's cougars out there. I hunt for meat, not sport. I trap to study and learn from an ol timer out there. But when cougars are stalking people and pets in yards and showing no fear of people they are crossing unacceptable boundaries. I've always wanted to have a couple of hounds since I was a kid and now have time and a home for them. And yah, thanks to y'all out there I have a number of a fella not too far from me. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you want to start lion Hunting anywhere in the country I suggest that you give Waylon Bryant a call, He is training and selling some darn good Lion Hounds he has sold me and several of my Hunting Partners and several more of my Kin some absolutley AWESOME hounds. Let me know and I will Give you his information.