CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: interesting day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well, i bought a pup from twist last spring and have been very happy with him. not sure we will get out again but he has really started to turn on. last race was bobcat track 17 for the season. we have only caught 2 but the lessons have really paid off. we have run this same track 4 times now, very big track and long stride. real rough country with alot of cliffs.

that day we cut it about 9:30, an hour or so from the truck, i only walk hunt, no roading. dogs started out slow like he has been and then the rocks and ledges started, have been walking him around when some when he looses the track, he has been learning, just slower without another dog. so we get in this nasty little section where he needs a hand to get down, its a nasty area and i had trouble, and he wont "here", kinda pissed me off so i left him and kept on the track. i have done this when he decided to be a deer hound as well, think wee are done with that stuff.

well, hes ledged up and he sees me on the other side of the draw and looses it, finds his way over, picks up the track and bam, off on the track like a pro. stays downwind just off the track and checks it about every 50 yards. when he lost it in the rocks he started to circle like i've shown him, he picks it back up and off he goes. not a peep out of him. wont speak until its a hot hot track or he jumps. we still didn't catch that cat but he sure has turned a big corner. already can't wait until next year, the daughter wants in on more of the action, a ski wreck kept her out this year.

thanks twist, toppers line is strong on the hunt with a healthy dose of brains thrown in.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: interesting day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That sounds like a great day! Loved the story, thanks for putting it up. Been hearing/reading good things about the Topper breeding. Keep us posted on the progress.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm 
IP:
Mack, sounds like you are putting him in the mountains. I have had a chance to hunt with 2 of his brothers and a sister they are all making nice young hounds, have been to lion trees with older hounds the one brother has made all the bobcat races he has been put on with older dogs and is treeing super. Glad he is working for you its hard starting a pup without older dogs on bobcat! How many lions has he put up for you? I've had a great cat season this year also. thanks for the kind words. later Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

was in a hurry and didn't reread my post. on the way to catching up with the dog i almost jumped on a bear coming out of his den. scared the bejesus out of me. it was in some ledges rocks and was hurrying along and bam, about 7 feet under me, looked at me and ran, well drunk stumbled off. he would stop every few feet and give me dirty looks. he was about 200lbs and a beautiful red cinnamon color. seems me and the bear have an encounter of this caliber every couple of years. keeps me alert to say the least.

andy, did only 2 lion tracks, one fresh, one 2 days old. caught the fresh track after about a 3.5 miler. she was a beauty. wouldn't climb a tree for nothin. finally caught up to her in the rocks were she wasn't too pleased. have really put the focuse on the bobcats. figure if and when he can get them half figured then the lions won't be much more trouble, and i am only running one hound and would like to keep him for a couple more years before he sings his last song.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:29 am 
IP:
Mac, if you ever want to jump in your rig and make a bobcat hunt with me next season just let me know we'll put a cat in the tree, would be great for your young hound and would like to see him hunt anyway. later Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

andy
be honored to come over and run with the big dogs. i look forward to it, im sure i'd learn a few things as well. thanks for the opportunity.
mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mac just wondering how the hound is doing? I havent been on here in so long they kicked me off and had to sign on again. later Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

sure is neat to see when the light bulb goes on or gets a bit brighter- kinda validates your faith in the your hound, and the time and work your putting in. enjoy Keystonepaul