CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: decoy dogs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

could someone please explain how decoy dogs work, and how to start them?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: decoy dogs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:07 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive heard of people using blackmouth curs for decoy dogs. good luck finding someone who knows how to train a dog to do something like that........

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I am a poor source of imformation to but the idea is to have the dog in front of you while using a predator call. This works particularily well during mating season and when the coyotes have pups. The idea is that the coyotes are far more territorial then and when they see the dogs they will come in and try to drive them away. I've been told that you want to shoot the back coyote first because that is usually the timid one. As long as they see the dogs they are less apt to think about you.

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i hunt hogs here in northeast texas, we use curs to strike and bay and bulldogs to catch. one time we had a yote follow our 90 lb american bulldog right up to us, within 50 feet. he saw us and split, but he did come back to get a second look. lucky for him, the bulldog never saw him.

"shoot the back one first". - (some folks have kill dogs waiting right?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:56 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Like I said what I have seen was having the dogs in front of riflemen with predator calls. They were using airdales and white mountain curs for decoys. See if you can locate a video called "Doggin Coyotes".

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Contact Devin, I believe he's on the biggamehoundsmen. He goes by Mr.Pacojack. He uses, raises and trains decoy dogs. He's also on this site but you will probably have better luck contacting him on the Biggamehoundsmen.
http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/forum/

HUNT,FISH,TRAP!!!!!!!! Is there anything else???

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm 
IP:
Mel theres a guy from your part of the country, think you may even know him, Calvin Taylor, that has a video out "Coyote hunting is going to the Dogs" from what I hear its pretty, good Ive been trying to get a hand on a copy for some time now.

Devin also goes by Chaos over on the UKC board.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Waterway-56 wrote:
I am a poor source of imformation to but the idea is to have the dog in front of you while using a predator call. This works particularily well during mating season and when the coyotes have pups. The idea is that the coyotes are far more territorial then and when they see the dogs they will come in and try to drive them away. I've been told that you want to shoot the back coyote first because that is usually the timid one. As long as they see the dogs they are less apt to think about you.

Mel

Very well Said. Best time to train a decoy dog too. A decoy dog must have a handle on them so start them out using a e collar with the tone button and when they have engaged the coyote then you can start to tone them into you. Once they have done a few they hopfully will learn that this is a game and they will want to play it.
Doogie that is a very good video.
As far as breeds go. I have used Kemmers,Airedales,Bordercollies,Blackmouths,Leopards,Jagd's, and a bunch of crosses. I am currantly playing with a O'Gorman/Dorn dog. It takes a special dog to learn this and it is much easier if you can have another seasoned dog show the new dog the ropes.
Good luck and if you have any questions along the way give me a call I would be happy to help you out if I can. Devin 801-910-1501
Hey Budd, :D How are you :D doing ? Doogie you still in the Big Sky?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 am 
IP:
yeah off and on, when we get a little down time I go back. Im working in the Dakotas these days,not to far from Budd actually.

and no I dident give up my residency, Ill gladly buy a $40 outastate fishing licence lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey Devin :D , doing good. Just seen this post. Got some pictures of Jack to send ya.