CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: pup wont bay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I put a post on here earlier but it disapeared. my 13 month old redtick wont bay but it will fallow a drag and go to the tree that i hung his toy. I got some bobcat sent from north dakota that works pretty dam good but he just wont bay. im afraid when i take him out to go cat hunting im not going to be able to find him when he hits. he does bar every ones in a wile but ones at tree he stops and stands there.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: pup wont bay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

chain him up put it front of his face play with it until he dose bay then give it to him but remember to put him up hot

AND YOU CAN KEEP THE ''CHANGE''

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A lot of dogs won't bay on a drag or a cage coon. Neither of mine will, but they will track and tree with bawl and chop. I wouldn't worry about it, get him in the woods and see what happens.

'PR' Crooked Creek E's "Dangit" Anyhow
'PR' Crooked Creek E's "Slippery" WW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i cant go cat hunting until next winter but i will take him out coon hunting here this weekend and see what he does. thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had/have the same problem with an older dog(3yrs old). He wont bay unless its really hot(right in front of him) its very frustrating. One thing that has helped, was working his training aids close, so he gets a good look, wiff and so on. I let him foam at the mouth, then I bring in rest of my pack, and they go ape *&^# and this really works him up, then when its time to trail, I chain him off just like at a tree, set the training aid free, it's like the 4th of july until I start releasing the dogs one at a time, but he goes first, then my lead dog, then whom ever I brought out with him. I was told he may or may not ever bay good. Either way, he has the best nose of my entire pack, and has never trashed as an adult dog. But he only bays when other dogs are there, or I am tapping the tree for him. Maybe this will help. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello,
I used to have a male dog that use to not do that also. He did not start doing that until he was about oh fifteen months. He barked and everything else but no bay. So what I did to inspire him was I went to a ranch that I hunt out in the country and I cought a barn cat. I worked him on the live trap and then I let the door stay open. He quickly figured it out and tried to get in with the cat. Well he and the cat got in a big fight his nose got tore up but not real serious just enough for him to remember it. And the cat ended up losing that day. After that he wanted to jump on everything else everytime I had him on cats or coon. One thing to consider is he is still young for a male and although there are those that start young he may not go hard till he gets a little more mature. Maybe he might just need a coon to bite him square on the head, I have seen this teqnique turn some pups around three hundred and sixty degrees. But I have to say that the most important thing to do is to get too carried away with these things becuase he may not ever do what he wants because of a bad experience. Other than that you should be ok just be cautious but not too cautious if you know what I mean. Good luck, let me know how it goes or have any other questions.