CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bear track question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:28 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

well here the stories first, tonight I went coonhunting, on the second drop they went out like they always do and come back, so I started to road hunt them, well the walker came back and the redbone was gone. so I stop at all the mud holes checking for tracks, and there it was a bear track.

now here the question, it was about 6 inches wide and about that long. went in the ground about 1.5 inches, and between tracks was about 4.5 to 5 feet track to track, I took pictures of it on my phone, but it was at night, I step behind it and dint make that big of a indent in the mud, so how big do you think this bear is and weight. I weigh about 240. and yes I found the redbone about 3 miles or so. thanks for any info

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: bear track question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TNRidgerunner. I have always been told and read it in many books (written from professional guides) that to estimate the LENGTH or HIGHT of a bear you take a GOOD track and measure the width. From that measurement you add 1 inch and that will give you in feet how long or tall your bear is. Now a 6 inch wide track would mean you have a 7 foot bear. Highly unlikely (thou I killed one that measured 6'7" nose to tail and broke my scales at 284 lbs) So you could have a large footed bear or a true monster bear. I know there is no open season on bear in your county so you very may well have one. As far as weight goes the only certifiable way to get even remotely close to the weight of a bear is to measure the circumfence (or girth) of the chest. A bear with a 30 inch girth will weigh close to 100#. A bear with a 42 inch girth will weigh around 250 # and the 55 inches mark is where you start talking monster bear size and will weigh over 500#. Now, these are estimates and can vary according to how much fat that they have packed on or burt off. As far as the depth of the track in the ground. I wouldn't even start to guess. It could be a 500# bear or a 100 # bear.

BTW. I saw a VERY nice bear in Scott county two years ago while turkey hunting. He was more interested in my seductive hen talk than the gobblers and came with in 10 feet of me. Then I said "BOO" and he about turned inside out leaving there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:09 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks, I don't know, that is the first time I have seen anything like that in that area. and I been hunting there over 3 yrs. all I know is it is in some thick country

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would say anywhere from 3oo to 350 see that size print all the time