CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Family
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got saved almost 2 years 8 months ago, and my family and I tried attending church together for a little bit, but then my wife and daughters (8, 16 & 20 y/o) went back to Assemblies of God. I am a Baptist, but the wife and kids do not care for the Baptist faith. They were going to AOG for a few months before I got saved, tried to go with me to the Baptist church, but then decided to go back to AOG. A number of months back they saw why I didn't agree with AOG, and stopped going there. Now they do not attend any church. This comes mostly from my wife, who said she tried Christianity, but it's not really for her. She says she believes in Jesus, but does not need to go to church, and will not label herself as anything (a Christian) as far as faith is concerned. My youngest follows her lead, my middle one never really seemed interested, and my oldest never really talks about it. They are fine with me going to church, but do not want me "forcing" my faith on them. I tried to be a leader in our family's walk with Jesus, but they took it as being overbearing. I just wanted to be sure they understood the truths of the Bible.

I have offered to find a church we can all attend, and we have tried many in the past, but we can't come to an agreement on any one church. I am very fundamentalist, and they are more liberal. They now have no interest in even trying to find a different church, and I am at home at the one I attend. They very rarely attend with me, and if they do it's not because they want to know Jesus better, but for other reasons. For example, they (except my oldest daughter) are coming tonight because they don't want to be at home with the bluetick puppy because of her barking, and there's nothing better to do. My oldest is going by her new boyfriend's house. Originally only my middle daugher was going to go, but my wife just called to say they are all coming (PRAISE GOD), though she said "this doesn't mean we're coming back to church regularily". It is my hope that even though they are going for the wrong reasons, maybe something will "click". What can I do, other than pray, to try to get our family to worship together?

Even when we all were attending church together, they were very uncomfortable about talking about the Bible or praying together. My transformation was somwhat of a shock for them, as I was a very nasty person before I got saved. Either they are all back-slidden, at best, or I am the only saved person in my house, at worst. The latter being my biggest fear. All I want to do is have a "normal" Christian family, but they have no interest in it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Family
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

just keep praying about it, and going to church, if you try to force it. all you will do is cause a big fight. they will come around. lead by example. good luck and GOD Bless.

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with tnridgerunner, you just lead by example. I think to many times in life we try to chang people and dont let God chang there hearts. I think if you keep living a life that is pleasing to the Lord then they will see the heart transplant the Lord gave you and they will come around. The main thing is to trust in the Lord and keep praying.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Good advice.
Nothing makes a drink of water taste better than plenty of salt first.
Ye are the salt of the earth. Salt seasons, preserves, and man does it create a thrist for water! Let your life be seasoned with the salt of Gods grace, and your family will soon be dying for a good, cool, drink of The Water of Life!
Sheep must be led, not driven.
God called us to be fishers of men, you catch em, and he will clean em.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:57 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You are probably right about them being in shock about what God has done in your heart. They might be holding out cause they don't believe it will last. Ask your pastor and deacons or elders to covenant to pray and fast for you all. You can't break down the strongholds of our enemy without getting serious in the battle. Keep being the gentle leader of your family, love them, work through the hurts and pain you have given them as you can through the grace and power of Jesus and His shed blood. Believe God is going to do a work in your family brother and don't give up.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:06 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree with the advice you aloready have received. I decern though a lot of dissagrement over denominations and possibly personallities within the denominations. Have you considered a nondenominational Bible study, possibly in your own home?
We have such Bible studies. I honestly do not know the claimed denominations of some of our members. Anyway the truth of Gods Word should supercede any church doctrine or constitution. A few years ago my wife, our yougest daughter who was still at home, and myself individually came to believe we must leave the church we attendded. We didn't just rush to another either. Instead we waited until we were "guided" to where we are now! It has been a wonderful journey!!!!!!!!

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you everyone. Pretty much everything that has been said here was what the Pastor and Assistant Pastor have told me. The Pastors have not had this experience in their own lives, so I thought maybe someone here would have additional insight due to having gone through it themselves.

We looked for non-denominational churches, but, believe it or not, there's not a whole lot of them around here. The ones we did look into just weren't for either one of us. The reason I chose the Baptist faith is because the Bible is our sole authority. It is an Independent Fundamental Baptist church. We have no constitution or church doctrine. We only go by what the Bible teaches, and ultimately will individually have to answer to God for our understanding, or lack thereof, of the truths of the Bible, and for what we did with those truths.

They aren't interested in family Bible study, and would not participate in a group study if I chose to host one at my home. I'll just keep living for the Lord, praying, and trust that God will change their hearts.

Thanks again to all who have offered your advice.

In Christ Jesus,

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 am 
IP:
Im not tryin to judge or be rude but it sounds like they need to be saved.Either that or there so far away from god that they have forgotin that theve been purged.I feel for you i got a father and mother who were saved many years ago and are way out there now.I cant drag them to church.Not even on freinds and family days.They know what will happen if gods brings them to there knees.They will have no choice but to get there life straighted out.We all know the only real happiness is in the lord, thats why most backslidders are so mean and bitter.Just keep lovin them and prayin for them.God will work it out sooner or later but it will be right on time either way.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bsczar1 I have been in this situation in a way, but I was not in your shoes I was in your family's shoes. I went to church every sunday as a child with my mom but never accepted christ as my saviour. And when I got a little older I got away from going to church, didnt realy want anything to do with it. And about a year and a half after me and my wife got married she kept saying we needed to get into church but I didnt realy care if we did or not. So after a while she started going without me. I didnt pay much attention to it untill she started taking our little girl with her and i was staying at home by myself. It was then the Lord started working on me. After a while I started going with them some and it wasnt long before I realized I was lost and on my way to hell. I wresteled with God for some time before I finaly accepted Christ as my Lord and saviour. So just keep praying it may take a while but it works, I know i was the one who was being prayed for at one time and im so thankful that some body cared enough about me to keep praying.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

VACoonhunter:

We have much in common. I went to a non-denominational born-again Bible-believing church until I was 12, but then I turned my back on the Lord for 25 years, and towards the end was an atheist and was VERY anti-Christian.

About 3 1/2 years ago my wife started taking the kids to church, and about 6~8 months later I got saved. Although I was saved as a child, (I believe the Biblical doctrine of once saved/always saved), I use my return to the Lord as my salvation date: 9-23-07. However, now they have lost interest, and I question if they were ever really saved in the first place. They will not discuss it with me, so all I can do is lead by example and pray for them. Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement. Please continue to pray for my family.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you everyone for your prayers. The Lord has done a mighty work in our lives. We are now going to church as a family. Out of the blue, my wife decided to come with me two weeks ago, and they have been coming for every service and Bible study/prayer meeting since. My wife has done a 180 degree turn around; and we went out last week and got her a new Bible. It's the same one as mine. We talked about Jesus, God, salvation, eternal security, and a bunch of other stuff for about 5 hours after church last night: from 9:00 pm to 02:00 am. I opened the Bible, and read from the Word to explain the answers to her questions/concerns. In the past we could never sit and have a conversation like that (about God), and at that length. Please continue to pray for our family: for strength, guidance, and growth in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Thanks again for your prayers. May all the glory be to Him who is faithful, and Whom has answered those prayers!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I am glad to hear that your family is going to church with you. we will keep praying for you and family. GOD work in mysterious ways. I know that for a fact, keep up the faith and GOD bless.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for sharing the good news!!!!! Its great to here when prayers are answerd. I hope things will keep going the way they are, but i know they will if you guys just keep the Lord first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hallelujah, keep doing your part and praying for your family to grow and thrive. If you have an older christian couple in your church that would be willing to hold you all close in prayer and friendship that would be so good for you and if you all could be a blessing in their lives how much the better. I am glad for where God has led you all so far. Follow in the little things and the big ones tend to work out also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i kn0w what you are going through my wife is the same way. Im an indepented baptist. My wife doesnt attend church now she`s disabled serious health problems. She would attend if i went to her church but no more. She says she is saved but i dont know.I cant judge that only the lord can. A verse of scripture comes to mind .I can do all things through christ which strengthen me phil. 4.13. my prayers are with you an your family May god bless you an keeps your heart an eyes on him