CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I am looking for advice on seeking the lord to come into my heart and bless me. I feel like I need to meet him half way by doing some positives for folks but my wife says that I need to accept him first. I feel wrong in not righting some of my negatives before asking. Please give me your advice.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

no need in writing your negs. we don't judge you. GOD does. if you got a king James bible go to john 3:16. and read some of it. the only thing I know to tell you is pray to GOD, ask him to save your soul. and accept JESUS CHRIST into your heart. remember good deeds don't get you into heaven, accepting the LORD does. once you get saved all the good deeds you want to do will come natural. I am sure some others will be able to tell you some other verses. we will be praying for you and your family. GOD Bless and good luck.

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Your heart wanting to make right for all you did wrong is a sign of repentance and your heart wanting to be made clean. There's no halfway in this, Jesus has to be invited to meet you where you are at, sin and all. Ask Jesus to forgive you for all of it, what you can remember and what you can't. Ask Jesus to be the King of your life and turn off from living for your self.
God's word says you will be forgiven then Jesus will be with you as you go about to whoever you feel needs to hear you confess anything that might be hanging in the air between you. If it is financial sins, personal matters, family hurts or whatever ask Jesus to help you know what to do in each case to bring those relationships back to what God wants. Don't rush into this, ask Jesus to help you do this and the Holy Spirit and what you learn from reading the Bible will help you through it. You also need to find or go back to a church that preaches out of the Bible with Jesus as your Savior, Sanctifier(which means the one who makes you holy as you yield control of your life), Healer and Coming King. If there is a Bible teaching pastor who can pray with you about these things you will be wise to let him shepherd you. It sounds like your wife is telling you good things, thank God for her.

If you want a good movie to help you figure some of these things out there's one called FLYWHEEL that I would recommend. The story is not to far off from what you have told us so it might hit close to home. There's a whole series of movies made by a church in Georgia that touches on some of the real issues that keep us from being who God made us to be. Check out FIREPROOF and REMEMBERING THE TITANS among others. Lots of good scripture in these to steer you right. I will pray for you, you keep asking God to show you from the Bible what you need to know. Keep us updated and we will pray.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You have been given some good advice so far. You must believe or have faith in the Lord Jesus. And then you will recieve his mercy and forgiveness for your past present and future sins. The Holy Spirit will also come to reside in you and guide you. The truest form of worship for a Christian is "in the spirit" because that is your closest relationship to God while you are on this earth. The Holy Spirit will also convict you of sins you are unaware of from time to time. One that came to me was watching violent movies which I quit doing. No you are not saved at all by works but as you are guided by the Holy Spirit it will become more and more obvious to others that the Lord is doing a work in your life.
Another book I would truly recomend is"Cleansing Your Heart of Anger and bitterness" by Ernie Greun.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 10:13, Romans 10:9-10, Revelation 3:20. Cant realy give you any more advice that hasn't already been given but look up these verses and it may help you in your choice to follow Christ. But the main thing is that you believe that Jesus was crucified so that your sins would be forgiven and ask him into your heart. Just find you a good church that preaches what the bible teaches us so you can grow in your walk with the Lord. Would love for you to keep us posted, praying for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:57 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Thank you all dearly for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I only wish some of you were closer to florida so that we could possibly hunt and have some more conversations. I want to be a better man and know this is the path I should have never strayed. Thank you from all of my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:19 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

feel free to ask anything you want. if you don't want to post it, pm or email me. I will be glad to try and help you. GOD Bless

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Pirate; it is normal for one to feel a need to make some effort to amend for his shortcomings. However that often leads one in the wrong direction and starts a lifelong attempt to "work ones way into The Kingdom of God". That will never work as we are saved by Grace "THROUGH" Faith, not of works least any man boast. Grace was presented in our stead on Calvary and is procured through faith is that completed sacrifice. We are cleansed and made whole by the sinless blood of The Lamb of God, NO OTHER WAY.
Now look at Faith, it is a belief in, trust in, reliance in God. That "Faith" will produce a life of good works in the believer, BUT not works unto salvation, but works resulting from a conversion and relationship with God.
Don't get the cart before the horse. Rejoice in your salvation!! Enjoy Jesus and his abiding presence daily. Don't question God, just except him as your Lord and Savior, then walk with him. He works in a demention that mortals cannot comprehend, therefore we walk by faith and not by sight. Its all in his capable hands. Trying to "work" things out makes one miserable, letting God work them out results in fulness of joy and pleasures forever more.

Are you in Florida? I was raised 90 miles north of Tampa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Pirate209:

Titus 3:5-6 (KJV) states, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;"

I took this from a post I made a while back:

It doesn't matter if you try to be a good person, because you're still a sinner, as we ALL are. The Bible tells us all our good deeds are filthy rags compared to God: Isaiah 64:6, "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

Have you ever told a lie? That's the 9th commandment. Have you ever taken anything that was not yours, even something small, like a pen from work? That is stealing, which is the 8th commandment. Have you ever used God's/Jesus' name to express disgust or as a cuss word? That's blasphemy, which is the 3rd commandment. None of us have, nor can we ever, keep the Ten Commandments. They are there to show us our sin. The Bible tells us if we have broken one we have broken them all: James 2:10, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all."

Because of our sin against God we deserve eternal punishment in hell. However, because God loves us, He became a man, born of a virgin, in the Person of Jesus Christ. He died on the cross as payment for our sins so we could be reconciled to God. Prior to Jesus, the Jews had to sacrifice a perfect lamb to atone for their sins. However, Jesus became the perfect sinless sacrifice (The Lamb of God), once and for all. Where the blood of lambs covered sin, Jesus' blood washed away our sins.

Our correct understanding of God can only come from the Bible. It is not what we do that gets us to Heaven, it's what Jesus did. We can only be saved by God's grace (unmerited favor) through faith in Jesus Christ: Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

It doesn't matter how good you are, or how hard you try, you can't earn Salvation. The only way to be saved is to understand you are a sinner, hopelessly lost and bound for hell, and then realize that Jesus paid your sin debt on the cross-a free gift from God. All you have to do is accept it. However, this is not just repeating some words. You do really need to "repent", or turn away from, your sins, and let God be in control of your life.

That's when going to church and reading the Bible come in. We don't do these things because we have to, we do them because we want to. When God begins to change your life, you will thirst for more. Fellowship with other Christians, and reading God's Word are refreshments for us, not a burden. When I don't go to church, or neglect reading the Bible or praying, I just don't feel complete. There is a definite change in my state of peacefulness that is directly related to how close my walk with Jesus is.

In Christ

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have heard a couple of you mention asking Jesus to come into your heart. Where does that come from, I don't read anything about that in the Bible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Good point RR. Go to Romans 10:9 and look at what's there. You will find a verse talking about if you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, then you will be saved. Look at it in the various english versions, what I wrote is not a guote but my best memory of it.
Now we know that a heart is not a brain but Paul the apostle was saying our hearts are part of the deal in believing. We find it easy to tag off that with the idea that what our heart is set on or full of is the same as what our soul is given to. So if I give my 'heart' to something, good or bad, it is a full commitment of my soul. The idea of asking Jesus to come into our heart or for us to give our hearts to Jesus certainly paints a picture of someone who is wanting to trust Jesus to cleanse their soul of sin and be Savior and Lord of their soul. They are wanting it to be that their life and ways are set to doing what Jesus wants. This idea of soul and heart being about the same goes back into the old Testament. Maybe Billy Ray Cyrus and the Ackey Breakey Heart song is part of that way of thinking. The idea figures into our way of thinking and talking or understanding deeper issues, don't you agree? You hear folks talk about deeper things of the heart when they mean the stuff that really matters to them. We also talk about things we really need to understand need to go into our brain but sit and stay in our hearts. Anyhow, not to overwork the point. First guy posting on this one was looking to get things right in his soul and family. Good stuff. It takes a real man to know he needs help getting his soul right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

BUDDY I have something to tell you brother my pastor always tells us " YOU DON'T GET GOOD TO GET GOD, YOU GET GOD TO GET GOOD!" Get him and let him work and he will change you. I want to tell you he is awesome we are NOTHING we have to rely on him and to will do the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey Pirate:
You asked for advice. Friend, you have been given the best advice anyone could ever ask for, right from the pages of God's Word. Now it is up to you to make the decision to either accept, put off or deny accepting salvation from God. I pray that you will ask Jesus to be your Saviour. When you do this, then all these things you are wanting to do for others will be possible.
I too was in your position at one time. You call them negatives, but they are just plain sin. I thought I , like the Apostle Paul, was the chiefest of sinners. I thought I had done so much wrong in my life that I could not be forgiven. I praise God that when he saves us, He wipes the slate clean. Scripture tells us that all this baggage (sin) we tote around is gone. It is as far as the East is from the West. When Christ was on the cross, he asked that God The Father forgive those who nailed Him to the cross and were torturing Him. Friend, that is forgiveness in the fullest form.
Yes, I still have flashbacks from the past from time to time, but I know the blood of Christ covers me and that when He looks through the blood and He sees me as righteous. This is called grace. Grace is receiving something that is not earned. Praise God for His redeeming grace. We don't deserve heaven but thru Jesus we can have it.
Also, I praise God for your wife. I feel she is a real help-mate
Keep all of us that are praying for you informed about your walk with Jesus.

In Christ
"Pops"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

pirate209 wrote:
I am looking for advice on seeking the lord to come into my heart and bless me. I feel like I need to meet him half way by doing some positives for folks but my wife says that I need to accept him first. I feel wrong in not righting some of my negatives before asking. Please give me your advice.

Read the post I just posted and see if that helps: Moses showed his works in the eyes of

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I accepted Christ into my heart and life on January 16 of this year. Thanks to all of you and the support of my wife I am a saved man. I did not plan to ask the Lord into my heart on that particular day but, I strongly believe that the Lord sent the Pastor(never met the man before) to my home that night. We prayed together and that is when I knew the time was right. God bless each of you who provided me with advice and know that I have read each scripture passage you have reccomended. Thank you all for your love and fellowship, I pray our paths cross somewhere in the future. If I can ever help any of you please PM me and leave me your number I am always willing to listen and help.