CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: is drinking a sin?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bluedogpastor wrote:
Is drinking a sin?
It depends on who you talk to.
I have seen people preach against drinking one beer or glass of wine. I've heard them condemn people to Hell for it. Then I've seen those same people gossip about and judge people behind their backs. Jesus said that the things that come out of a mans mouth are what defiles him. Not the things that go into the mouth. Am I condoning drunkenness? Not at all! I'm simply saying that most "church people" will condemn folks for drinking, smoking, dipping snuff etc yet they themselves have tongues so long that they can sit in their living room and lick a spoon that's in the kitchen.
Jesus had A LOT to say about the way that we treat each other and the words that we use. The truth is that we're all human. We all have problems and issues. None of us should attempt to fix anybody until we get our own lives fixed.
I am a pastor and I have no use for folks that want everyone to be EXACTLY the way that they are. We have people in our church that wear suits, ties and dresses and we have others who wear tank tops, shorts and flip flops. They all love each other and we all enjoy fellowshipping together. Some of us drink an occasional beer or glass of wine and some of us never touch alcohol. We focus our attention on the Scriptures and on our personal relationship with God rather than upon man made traditions or the denominational doctrines of religious organizations. It works! We have Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarenes, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses and a few bikers who spent time in the penitentiary. We all get along. We all love one another. We all work together to share the Gospel with everyone that we come in contact with.
I said all that to say this......if you can't back it up with the Bible you had better not attempt to make it a "Heaven or Hell" issue.

A Servant of God,
Pastor James D. Lacey
New Covenant Bible Church
Tulsa Oklahoma

AMEN! Preach on!!I have a mental block that keeps me from putting my thoughts into words.Thank you.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ashley Coe wrote:
I heard a preacher preach on this one time a good man of god.If you listen to this it makes good sense.How many times you have to steal before your called a theif(1)How many times you have to lie before your called a lier(1)God says neither shall enter the kingdom of heaven.He did not say this for no reason He says im not the author of confusion but of peace.So how many beers you have to drink before you a drunk(1).God says a drunkard shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.If you truly get god in your heart and soul you will not have the desire to drink anymore not even one with your supper.Take it from someone who use to be a drunk for years will be 3 years in july since i have drunk anything GOD fixed that problem sincerly Greg.

I am with you brother.I think if a person drink they might not think the right thoughts in their minds and might do the rong thing like drink and drive.that person might have had one beer but just think if they go out and hit some one or cause a accident and have to take a breath test,all kind of things could happen with that one drink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So people use the excuse of one doesn't get you drunk..... Ok..so let's say ten is the number it takes, if you just drink one doesnt that mean u are 1/10th drunk???? It is a sin!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't drink nor do I bash people who do. Do I want my kids to drink no. Do i want my kids to be healthy, yes. That being said people are such hypocrites. people are going on and on about drinking is a sin. So what, isn't it just getting at the principal of hurting yourself. Gluttony. Gluttony= to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over consumption of FOOD, DRINK, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. How many fat Christians you see walking around nowadays. People just pick and choose what sins they think is worse than others. I thought sin was sin. I don't know, I don't go to church every time the door is open nor do I know much about the bible.
~proverbs 23:20-2~ be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You can spend years debating this question with no certified winner, Isaiah 5:11 tells us : Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. Isaiah 5:22 Woe to those who are heros at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks. On the other hand 1 Tim 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine for your stomach and your frequent illiness. these are just a few of the scriptures in the complete Bible. Most will agree, It's not necessarly if you drink (or EAT, REST, ECT) but how much?? the thing that I think is as big a concern as this, is the fact that, if I read it right, one of the previous replies seemed to state " You can do anything you want, Your sins are compleatly gone." I hope I read this wrong ,because I know that A: Yes my sins are gone. B: It is Only when I approach the Throne and ask to have my sins erased. I still, even then can't do whatever I want to do, unless, of course,God's will is what I want to do. I am afraid that this teaching is prevelant and it concerns me. I pray: LORD give us wisdom on this drinking question and PLEASE LORD don't allow this "I can do anything I want" teaching to catch on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you read on further in Matthew 11 you see where Jesus says that it would have been easier for Sodom and Gamorra to have entered into the kingdom of Heaven than for the sinners and publicans referenced in verse 19...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Cool hand Luke wrote:
I don't drink nor do I bash people who do. Do I want my kids to drink no. Do i want my kids to be healthy, yes. That being said people are such hypocrites. people are going on and on about drinking is a sin. So what, isn't it just getting at the principal of hurting yourself. Gluttony. Gluttony= to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over consumption of FOOD, DRINK, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. How many fat Christians you see walking around nowadays. People just pick and choose what sins they think is worse than others. I thought sin was sin. I don't know, I don't go to church every time the door is open nor do I know much about the bible.
~proverbs 23:20-2~ be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

I like this. Drinking is alot easier to point your finger at. If I don't drink then same on you for drinking.If I'm in good shape then shame on you for being fat. It so easy to point and over look yourself.I think drinking is such a small thing to pick at.But if you really think it wrong then preach on.God blessed America with the freedom of speech.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION FOR EVERYONE. Ask yourself this.....would Jesus come to a gathering to preach a sermon up on a mound...and after all that talking feel thirsty...and decide to pop the top on a cold Budweiser?? It says in thehe word to be Christlike in all ways. So do you really believe Jesus or God our father is going to be sucking back on a cold beer? And as far as that goes..the same goes for smoking dipping and chewing. Do you think Jesus would light up a Marlboro? Or put in a dip of Copenhagen? Or a chew of Levi? So when you are thinking whether its right or wrong..think what would my father in heaven do?? That will give you your answer. God Bless Everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

their somthing about beer sittin on ice after a hard days work makes it taste just right ya aint nothin better than beer settin on ice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

NGA Coon Hunter wrote:
I HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION FOR EVERYONE. Ask yourself this.....would Jesus come to a gathering to preach a sermon up on a mound...and after all that talking feel thirsty...and decide to pop the top on a cold Budweiser?? It says in thehe word to be Christlike in all ways. So do you really believe Jesus or God our father is going to be sucking back on a cold beer? And as far as that goes..the same goes for smoking dipping and chewing. Do you think Jesus would light up a Marlboro? Or put in a dip of Copenhagen? Or a chew of Levi? So when you are thinking whether its right or wrong..think what would my father in heaven do?? That will give you your answer. God Bless Everyone.

I think you bring up a good point to think about. Jesus was known for being in homes of 'sinners' and tax collectors. I imagine they put on some sort of big meal with wine. My guess is that Jesus would have been "in but not of" the excesses of the sinners he was with. In today's world I can't see him hitting back long necks with the boys but I can see him there with those boys talking to them and teaching them about the things of God. He chose a bunch of fishermen, tax men, a terrorist and a greedy power grabber to be his disciples. My guess is that Peter, if there had been beer, would have put a hurt on a case after a day out fishing. I also imagine that after Peter's life and heart were transformed by grace he had a hunger and thirst to be holy and self controlled. Peter especially looking at his lack of self control saying things like "Lord, I would never betray you" and chopping that guys ear off in the garden then cursing and denying Jesus a few hours later 3X's. I think Jesus taught us who call him Lord to be light and salt to a lost world which I think also means not being a sour, glum depressing person. I don't think alcohol in all the beverage forms it is consumed adds a whole lot more and it certainly takes much away from a lot of people in broken homes, wasted lives and broken promises. As for me and my house I would rather be known for being drunk or full of the Holy Spirit and all the fruits of the Spirit..love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, self control. Life can be better then just good living for the Lord. If drinking is a hill to die on then your eyes may be getting away from the hill of Calvary and the one who died for us there but then rose again three days later to conquer sin...our sins if we just ask Him to forgive us. This Easter as you take communion in your church remember that the real problem men have to deal with is not wine or beer but what have you decided to do about the blood of Jesus? Settle that and you won't be confused about the rest of it all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some good reading on this issue.

Genesis 9:20--25 Genesis 19:30---38 Habakkuk 2:15--17
Romans 14:16--23

Ministers of the Gospel are not given the latitude to preach or even have an opinion. They are held accountable to the full council of God.

Our current religious society is tossed to and fro because of opinions and shallowness and very few are taught to truly seek "God's Will" in every aspect of their lives, even though we each are commissioned to do so in the Word.

Despite our individual perspective on drinking, scripture bears-out a principle which cannot be overlooked. From Genesis to Revelation, strong drink is a "doorway" for generational chaos.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i believe that it is a sin. yes it says in the bible to not get drunk. but who is the one that sets the line of being drunk.to god the smell of it could be drunk or just one lil sip of it. it also goes on to say in the bible that anything you do unto your body is a sin. an beer and other thangs in that nature cause harm unto your body in which is a useful vessel to god. and if you harm your body you are no longer useful to serve god in the way he originaly intended on you being.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Backwoods Blue Boy wrote:
We as Christians are to strive to live a life like Jesus! In the old days wine was nothing more than our grape juice of today...
This is incorrect. If it had been grape juice, all those cautions against drinking too much of it wuld not be in the bible. Wine was wine.

In fact, sin is violation of your own conscience. But you must be honest with yourself. Many activities are not wrong in themselves but offend others. Within reason, we should defer to the conscience of another.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ashley Coe wrote:
If you search more in the bible you will also see where it says don't let you wine age ...
Where is this in the bible?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Drinking is NOT a sin !!!!!!!!!!

A lot of What you do While your DRINKING is a SIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

============================================

The Swamp Guide

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next