CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: is drinking a sin?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've heard all my life how drinking was a sin!My opion doesn't matter but I like to here what you all think.Mattew chapter11 verse 19

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: is drinking a sin?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We as Christians are to strive to live a life like Jesus! In the old days wine was nothing more than our grape juice of today, and Jesus directly called drunkards fools. Now I don't know how anyone else would take that but I surely wouldn't wanna be called a fool by our Savior! If you read on further in Matthew 11 you see where Jesus says that it would have been easier for Sodom and Gamorra to have entered into the kingdom of Heaven than for the sinners and publicans referenced in verse 19. Answer this question: Would it be better to be drunk off of the Spirit or to be drunk off of worldly substances?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Backwoods Blue Boy wrote:
We as Christians are to strive to live a life like Jesus! In the old days wine was nothing more than our grape juice of today, and Jesus directly called drunkards fools. Now I don't know how anyone else would take that but I surely wouldn't wanna be called a fool by our Savior! If you read on further in Matthew 11 you see where Jesus says that it would have been easier for Sodom and Gamorra to have entered into the kingdom of Heaven than for the sinners and publicans referenced in verse 19. Answer this question: Would it be better to be drunk off of the Spirit or to be drunk off of worldly substances?

I agree with you, it amaze me how you see things, I am glad to see a young person getting involve and having a great strive to work for our lord. keep the faith, and GOD bless

p.s. I do think it is wrong to drink, but know several that does.

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It is not a sin to drink no more than it is a sin to have sex or enjoy a fire but all of those things need to be enjoyed in the way God intended. To much to drink before enjoying either of the other two will lead to problems just as an example. God gives us lots of freedom to enjoy our lives but there are also limits and boundaries in scripture that help us to enjoy these gifts without them destroying us. Drinking as long as it does not lead to drunkenness or dependence, which is equal to worshiping it, is not sinful. Some will wisely set aside all use of alcohol to avoid the chance of it taking over their lives, others are not led to live that way. Sex between a husband and wife is another blessing not to be played with outside of that arrangement. I don't actually think the Bible teaches about enjoying a campfire but you can see it is similar in that it can be a nice way to stay warm or cook or it can ruin a lot of lives if turned out to run on its own. Point being that God gave us these as gifts to bless our lives and our enemy, not worth mentioning the name, wants to see us wreck ourselves, our kids and families by letting gifts used sinfully become curses. Ain't that one a stinker? Amen he's been beat at the cross.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would have to totally agree with backwoods.99 percent of the people i know that drink, drink to get a buzz or to get drunk and both is a sin.Alot of people see it differant but thats between them and god. When i got saved god took away those desires.Sounds like you fellas a very wise.Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I believe if you drink to get a buzz or get drunk then it would be considered a sin but to have a glass of wine or a beer with supper and not for the feeling then I think it is O.K..JMO

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 pm 
IP:
I heard a preacher preach on this one time a good man of god.If you listen to this it makes good sense.How many times you have to steal before your called a theif(1)How many times you have to lie before your called a lier(1)God says neither shall enter the kingdom of heaven.He did not say this for no reason He says im not the author of confusion but of peace.So how many beers you have to drink before you a drunk(1).God says a drunkard shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.If you truly get god in your heart and soul you will not have the desire to drink anymore not even one with your supper.Take it from someone who use to be a drunk for years will be 3 years in july since i have drunk anything GOD fixed that problem sincerly Greg.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:52 pm 
IP:
I haven't had a drink in 10 years so take this with a grain of salt.

I've heard preachers preach alot of things based on VERY loose interpretations. It takes more than one drink to be a drunk, unless it were a small child maybe. That's a fact. So it doesn't matter what analogy that preacher used, it's wrong. The problem is this. It alienates people based on a false pretense. I believe that the wine Jesus drank wasn't grape juice but actual wine. There is plenty of research to show that there are many health benefits from lite drinking. So to scorn people for drinking is just as bad of a sin. Life is hard enough with out making up extra rules. All of that said, VERY few people can handle drinking with out being a drunk. Myself included. So I don't drink. Preachers that stray from the bible and get caught up in cliches` and stories are doing themselves and their congregation a disservice. Stick with what the bible says and it'll be ok. BTW, how many of those preachers who condemn all drinking are overweight from GLUTONY? A sin specifically mentioned in the bible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm 
IP:
If you search more in the bible you will also see where it says don't let you wine age which means if you don't let it age there is no alcohol in it because it has to ferment to make alcohol.So people just believe what you want to but i took it the way the bible says a drunkard will not enter into the kingdom of heaven also in the bible.That is why i don't drank.JESUS is our BLESSED SAVIOR andwhen he takes off the old coat and puts on the new you won't worry about drinking he will fix that.If you still worry about dranking then you truly did not get saved anyway is my point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if you were at home drinking and a siner came in for you to pray with him that god would save him. would you hide the drink ????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm 
IP:
Ashley Coe wrote:
If you search more in the bible you will also see where it says don't let you wine age which means if you don't let it age there is no alcohol in it because it has to ferment to make alcohol.So people just believe what you want to but i took it the way the bible says a drunkard will not enter into the kingdom of heaven also in the bible.That is why i don't drank.JESUS is our BLESSED SAVIOR andwhen he takes off the old coat and puts on the new you won't worry about drinking he will fix that.If you still worry about dranking then you truly did not get saved anyway is my point of view.

Where's the verse and the context? BTW, the idea that any sin will keep you from heaven is the same idea that good works get you into heaven. While I agree that people change after being saved it doesn't stop you from sinning. Every person sins and whether or not drinking is a sin is pretty irrelevant at this point. The whole point is that being a slave to anything besides God is a sin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This topic is one that many in the church are wrecking their lives on. For those who want to make it a simple issue and say that it is always a sin you won't find scripture to prop up that house of cards. You will find plenty in the Bible saying that being a drunkard is a sin and leads to being separated from God. A strong parallel is our sexuality. No where in scripture does it say that having sex with your spouse is a sin, far from it in fact if you read the Song of Solomon in context, but it is overwhelmingly clear that sex outside of God's plan is a path to death for the soul and body. And while we are at it let's not forget to look at our appetite for food, lots of teaching in scripture on that as well. Food is another path of blessing or death depending on if we master it or it masters us. Overeating and being food addicted, meaning food is our method of covering up depression and manipulating our sense of well being, is a way to place God off to the side and food becomes an idol to worship. So these things need strong boundaries set for us and the Bible gives us those to follow, adding to scripture does not make the struggles any easier. If you chose to drink be aware that lots of lives are ruined by it and we have so many other options without alcohol, if you are married or hope to marry love your spouse and grow old together enjoying God's blessing of your love, if you are hungry eat a good meal and maybe have dessert but get up before you have trouble breathing and once in a while skip some meals to focus on depending on God. Take that time of fasting to pray for hearts to be made hungry for salvation. Now that I got preachy I need to go rub my toes because these are all issues I am preaching to myself on as much as to anyone. God loves you all and wants all of our hearts set on loving Him. Easter is the day we celebrate the Only Way(Jesus) we can do that. That's about as simple as I can say it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Paul discusses these types of situations in Romans chapters 14 and 15. I will not recommend any versus so that you will have benefit of his full message.
Personally I am not opposed to a casual drink however I am a diabetic now and it would mess up my blood sugar! Alcoholic beverages have never been significant in my life but one time I took a very sinful drink. One hot afternoon years ago I popped a top on a cold one in front of a alcoholic trying to quit. From the look in his eyes it is a wonder he didn't take it away from me. If you read the versus I mentioned earlier it was a obvious sin....

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It is not a sin to have a few drinks, drinking to get drunk or to lose inhibitions is a sin. The wine in the bible absolutely had alcohol in it, it wasn't just grape juice! They had no refridgeration in those days so how do you think they kept food fresh? Excess grains and fruits were fermented. The sugars and starches in them were converted to alcohol to preserve them. In those days if they weren't drinking water or fresh milk they would be drinking something with alcohol in it and this would include Jesus also.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Please read these verses of scripture they will explain.Matthew 24:44-51,and 27:34,Micah 6:15,Numbers 6:3,Ephesians 5:17&18, Deuteronomy 32:33,Mark 15:23,Proverbs:20:1,Romans 14:21, Isaiah 5:11,28:3,29:9,Leviticus 10:9,1st Corinthians 6:10,10:31,Ecclesiastes 2:24,Nahum 1:10 Just to name a few.Glory be to the name of JESUS CHRIST.