CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a new young blue tick dog that I just got don't any thing about him because the man I got him from had only had him three weeks and had never hunted him. So I started working with him and he's doing very well treeing on tracks and tree's I've set up for him. Best I can tell all he needs is hunted gonna take him tonite. Now. For the question if he trees a coon I will want to shoot it out but kill season is over is wrong for me to let him have a coon. I am a Christian ment to start with that I've only really got into coon hunting here recently and have had hard time finding a dog that has any potential like this one so I need good Christian advice everyone around here tells u have kill young dogs out a coon in season or not

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 am 
IP:
Just by asking you know the right answer what is the right thing to do?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

young started dogs need coons shot out...i dunno what the law is where u live but in michigan you can shoot coon all year but after hide season its called damage control so its just like live trapping a coon in your barn and shooting it. To have a young dog and showing potential and not shooting coon out could make him bored and confused and ive lost a few dogs due to loss of interest so the question is what do you want to shoot a coon or your dog...id shoot the coon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Is your dog a christian? Let him shoot it.

No, don't start bending your standards on this. That dog will be a better reminder to you of doing what's right by honoring the authorities who set up the hunt rules in our states. Sure, we don't always agree with them but once you start where do you stop when you toss aside one rule here and another there. If you do break your standards that dog will always remind you of a compromise here and a compromise there. We all have enough of those reminders in our lives as it is, no need to fill the house with them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im not disagreeing with you, im just saying I dont think that It's illegal. Coons are considered a nuisance animal and actually, call it whatever you want, but coon control is a big problem for agriculture im a 2nd year officer of my FFA chapter and coons cause almost more damage than deer so our county DNR officer is a friend to alot of out local farmers and as long as the farmers are ok with us being on there property he says shoot em...yes you are right SOME people might start with breaking the rule on seasons and take it to far but some people can smoke one cigarette and move on to smoking meth but thats not saying everyone who has smoked 1 cigarette will move 2 drugs, shooting coons shouldn't be that big of a moral decision, they carry disease, damage crops, and destroy property if either of you had an opposom eating your garbage and dog food would you shoot it even though there out of season? or try and catch it and release it back into the wild 5 miles away from home? like i said I would check your states rules on nuisience animal removal but im sure its pretty close the Michigans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Those are good points Cooter, check the regs in your state. Some states have thin coon numbers so they have more protective rules. Michigan is probably a lot like MN, to many coons so we wouldn't think twice about taking one more out if they are being a nuisance. Not sure where Farmer Tom lives, could be this would be a big violation for his area. Anyhow, not to spit and sputter over it, whatever the regs say is what a man of honor ought to do otherwise just toss your honor in the air and watch it sail away.

ps. One cigarette will make a person into a crazy mass murderer. Charles Manson liked to smoke so there's the proof. leg pulling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the opinions guys I'm located in KY. I'm not sure about our coon population I think its pretty high we have had some problems with sick coon here even talked to a vet the other day said had a client have two dogs die of destemper after owner shot a coon out to them. It seems to be the most of u say and think its not right to shoot them out not in season which is how I felt. So if that's right how do I need to go about keeping my dog from losing interest. Love to hear more opinions on both questions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 am 
IP:
Coons are breed into that dog just praise him up good at the tree. He will just want them more. He is doing what he loves and was breed for he can wait til next season can you. I have started alot of pups in the summer on cat & fox with no kills til season opened. more times I think the kill is for the man then the dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

haha charles manson NICE lol yes if ur dog takes praise well then patting em up n not shooting out the coon can DEFF keep them interested and actually if you train a dog like that then everytime u do shoot the coon out it makes it all the more important to the dog i have a GRNITE female that has to look REALLY good b4 i shoot the coon out to her cuz i hide hunt so id just assume leave em 2 get big n make me money but my pup dont like to be patted up much he could care less so if he makes 10 trees he might see one coon... KY has coons under nuisence control on private property so as long as the land owner knows your shooting em ur ok but there is a 2 week quite time where your not even allowed to run dogs like we have in MI so that rule is strictly inforced and respected by most coon hunters like myself but a caged coon once in a while during off season should b more than enough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Cooter hunter tell me more about this nusinece control thing I have my own farm if that's right then I could let him have one from here every once in a while. But I called the KY depth of fish and wildlife help line that Guy said that wasn't right but give me my game wardens number haven't called him yet. I'm just worried that my dog will think I'm crazy if I take him out let him work his rear off and don't ever let him have him has reward that he's worked for. I personally don't care nothing about killing one for my self I like for there to be lots of them out there to tree. So I'm gonna check with the game warden but any info would be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The way i think it works is its like if you live trap a coon you can shoot it...if you let it go and your dog beats you to the tree and you shoot it out n he gets there first then he attacks the coon b4 u can get it then the warden says well what can you do ya know? i just know that im not sure the EXACT rules but as long as your on private property you can do whatever you want..if you get caught running dogs WITHOUT a gun after hide season you can go to jail for TRAINING dogs without intent to control coon populations for damage control on PRIVATE land..so if you boys wanna hunt in the summer you best make sure you have permission and at least look like your intending to kill the coons is how our DNR officer explained it to me and my buddy...do ya see what he means cuz it IS illeagal just to run dogs for TRAINING but if your trying to get rid of em you can do it however you want but thats in MI talking to your C.O. is ALLWAYS the best way to go to play it on the safe side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I talked to a friend of mine who is a retired game warden he said the nusince law law was for when u had a coon tearing up ur stuff u can step out the back door and shoot him. He said it didn't matter weather it was private property or not out of season was out of season. Now that being said I don't know if you can get permission to hunt them if they are causing crop damage or not. Also this year they have changed the law where u are allowed to carry a pistol year round in the woods for protection. And we have always been allowed to train our dogs without carrying a gun.
Thanks for all the help

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

oh im sorry it wasnt really that helpfull there a bug prob where i live so it must just get overlooked by the CO but thats why i said ALLWAYS TALK WITH YOUR DNR OFFICER!!! different states even diff counties can have completley different rules sorry i could have been more helpfull lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah my that's the retired CO said to call the current CO who happens to live just down the road from me and see what he said. Said he might tell you to kill em.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have not killed a coon in years, just let them go. where in ky do you live, if not to far might get together and hunt some time. down here where I live we have a thin population of coons because every body shot them out all year round. your dog can use one or two a year but they just want to please you. pet them up and give them some treats. good luck

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW