CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lab coon hunting?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. My husband has been talking of getting a coon hound pup but hasn't decided what kind and if he wants that kind of comitment. I was offered a 1 yr old lab female and I love labs. So, I'm going to pick her up tomorrow. I've heard of labs coon hunting, but wanted to know how difficult it would be to train her. We do have a friend that we coon hunt with and he just got a Walker pup he's ganna start working with this summer, so the dogs would be trained together and with his older Walker male. The lab will be a pet, but I was hoping she could do double duty and make him happy too.
I guess, if not, he could take up duck hunting:) :mrgreen:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Lab coon hunting?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You can almost always teach a lab to hunt something because they are good all around hunters. Will it be ideal or a wonder dog? Maybe not but if you and he both like a lab it might fit your house and life better. Have fun, hope it works out. He may still prefer a coon hound so what if you each have a dog? LOL, glad I am not in that spot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If he wants a coon hound, he can have one. I don't like dogs living on chains though, personal opinion, even though I understand why hounds are chained or kennelled. But, I don't really know if I want 2 big dogs in the house, lol! If he tought mine to hunt and later got a blue-tick, then they could hunt together and possibly be a heck of a good pair!

I'm ganna be fighting pregidouses on this! (sorry about spelling)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I went and visited the lab last night, she's very bashful and not very confadent. Actually, the way she acts is almost like she's been aggresively handled. Anyway, I'm hoping, giving her a job would improve her confadence, I dought very mutch if she will ever be a coon killer, I don't think its in her. In a few weeks, I'll introduce her to Jeff, our friends Walker, maybe his confadence and the new pup will incourage her.

Maybe we could teach her to retreave the coon and cart them back? Maybe get her to wear a back pack?

She's a nice dog and noses right to my kids and seems happy for the attention. So, I'm ganna go pick her up this morning. Getting some toys and coon scent!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds good, I wouldn't worry what folks think of trying to hunt coon with a lab. And the lab doesn't have to do anything other than follow scent and show you all where the coon is. The coon hunt is all about 'show me where they are' and the hunter decides if it is a coon to take or leave for the next chase. Some like to have a dog that loves to kill a coon and that's fine but that's not the only way to hunt with a dog. Anyhow, hard to go to far wrong with a lab unless it has structural problems or was really mis-trained by a nut. Seems like many labs are soft hearted and need a gentler training approach.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I found a free walker pup in the paper, and told my husband. He told me that were ganna try the lab first, lol! I offer him best of both worlds and he wont take the hound, can you believe it? LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got very interesting and good news. Daisy Mae, we thought was a mix lab, isn't a lab at all. She's 3 inches shorter than a friends 5 month old lab pup, and is way to small and her head is small, she's just to refined. Anyway, I'm out, trying to teach her to lead today and an older fellow pulls over and tells me he wants to see my dog. He got down on his knees and looked into her mouth and started laughing. He says she's a Black Mouth Curr Dog. He said he used to hunt with them when he was younger along with his Blueticks. He had me turn her loose, and she stuck her nose to the ground and starting weaving her way across the yard, stopping a few times to sniff good. He told me she can hunt anything, and most Currs are tougher than nails. He asked what her temperment was like, I told her she was nervous. He told me to just keep socializing her and she will come out of it and as soon as I can, take her out to a timber in the day and see if she will tree any squearls. I, think I should teach her about guns first! lol!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

A black mouth cur is going to teach you all how to hunt is about how they work. Excellent name also, that my mom's name. This dog sounds like a God directed blessing for you folks. Hope it gets you out and makes some memories.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I couldn't believe my luck and the fellow couldn't believe she was never hunted. She was origionaly caught and stuck in a shelter and unadoptable because she was to nervous.Some folks adopted her when she was 6months old and have had her for 5 months. she doesn't know a thing, I don't know if they didn't try or if her stubborness got the best of them. I hate to admit it, but I'm more stubborn than she is, lol! She's not near as bashful now either, we don't spend our day on the couch. Were off visiting everyone and every dog (non aggressive) that we can. I'm trully hoping that working with her will turn her around and she will be automatic on the coon. If not, I've got me a very nice house dog:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:23 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A hound can hang around the house and be your bestest freind. However they have a 6th sense to know when the time is right for a good hunt. If not tied or penned there will be a hunt whether there is someone along or not!!! This can get them in places they are not suposed to be and in a lot of danger.

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wouldn't get a lab for coon hunting no offense, but usually hounds like walker, bluetick, or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive got a friend who use to hunt frequently. Every time he would load up his hounds, his labs would go crazy. Finally the lab broke loose one night. So he decided to just start taking her. Sure enough with in two weeks the lab treed her first coon. It was the best coon dog he ever had, so he claimed. Id give it a shot, labs are smart working dogs and the fact you have hounds to train it with is a big plus toward its training.