CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I am working through the doctrine of hell and there's the one teaching that a person whose soul goes to hell suffers an eternal and non stop separation from God and is tortured non stop. Lots of solid churches teach this. The other is that a soul that is lost goes to hell and is burned up in the lake of fire and their soul is eternally lost but not eternally tortured, their soul is annihilated in other words. There's lots of solid churches that follow this as well as some not so solid.

Now each is an eternal situation, there's no 'do-overs' in either case but both have scriptures that can be read to mean one or the other. I think this is in my head because I am reading and praying over the lostness of those who don't know Jesus and I want to fully grasp what it means to be lost eternally. I am sure that lost means lost forever apart from the grace of Jesus. The only do-overs are this side of the grave and in the death and res. of Jesus alone. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 pm 
IP:
The way i understand the soul will burn eternaly never knowing anything but the torture of the burning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Yeah, I hear that but you didn't just wake up one morning and come to that conclusion. I am looking for the solid scripture passage that I can know what the answer is. For sure I believe that there will be an eternal separation from God for those whose sins are not redeemed by grace. I am going to listen to some R.C. Sproul teaching and see what he says on this. Keep the input coming. I think that having a clear understanding of what hell is and means will change how we see our world and the need for salvation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:12 pm 
IP:
I will try to look it up in the bible.Remember in the bible where the rich man lifted up his eyes in hell all he ask for was just a finger tip dipped in water.That lets me know that it will be torture.You are right people need salvation before its to late.They need to here salvation preached and not religion if you know what i mean.If we are truly saved we are brother's and sister's in CHRST JESUS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Matthew 25:41
"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:"

Matthew 25:46
"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Theses two verses clearly indicate that the lost will be tormented for all eternity. If a soul is simply annihilated, I don't see how it could go into everlasting punishment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have been looking at those Adam and it is clear and not so clear to me. Be patient but I see that the lost do go to hell and fire sure seems to be the experience but in Matt.25:41 that fire is prepared for the devil and his angels as if they will be there for eternity and the lost sinners sent there but is the fire forever or the punishment. The forever part is for sure forever apart from God but does their soul get held in the flame or burnt like a bug in a bug zapper? Sorry for making it sound so simple. Either way it goes is a horrible tragedy compared to an eternity in God's presence.

C.S. Lewis wrote in one of his books that hell may be as much as an eternal condition or place where you are left with no contact of any sort...no God..no family...no anyone except your own regrets, sins and loss. Not sure that it is that but remember if you ever got lost when you were a little kid. Five minutes tops and most of us were in a panic and crying. Then think of that for eternity. Not the same as sitting in flames and being cussed at by the devil but I sure wouldn't like to see anyone go to hell however it works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm 
IP:
Me either i would like to see the whole world saved.People need to wake up the LORD is coming read the bible and you can see it being fulfilled.The bride is to soon come and get his bridegroom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Well, I have cogitated this one enough. There's some things I won't ever understand about hell because I won't be there but if I work with those scriptures that could steer you toward understanding the lost souls last forever in torment a person of mercy and grace will hopefully reflect Jesus even more to everyone you bump into. My pastor says that a true follower of Jesus should 'bleed Jesus' anytime you are poked with a pin meaning if you are full up and overflowing with the presence of Jesus in your life it will come out without hesitation. That's how I want to be. I am encouraged with these younger folks on here who are asking and praying for friends to find the Savior. Everything else is important but that is the most important issue for anyone to lift up in prayer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm 
IP:
I will say amen to that we need to tell everyone we run in to about our loving savior (JESUS CHRIST)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

God told Adam that he would DIE if he chose to sin. The scriptures declare that the wages of sin is DEATH and that the soul that sins will DIE.
We all have our opinions. We believe what grandma taught us or what our denomination taught us. Everyone CAN'T be correct. Everyone believes that THEIR opinion is the correct one but that is impossible. The Bible is TRUE! The problem lies in the fact that we all want to interpret the Bible and then force our interpretation upon everybody else.
Perhaps we should focus our time and attention on loving God and loving people. If we could do that then we wouldn't have to worry about where we'll spend eternity. If we live a life that is pleasing to God then I'm certain that He will take care of the details of eternity.

Pastor James D. Lacey
New Covenant Bible Church
Tulsa Oklahoma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try looking at Rev which i think is the largest account of what will happen tothose who r not saved.

And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea. And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them, and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:7-15 ESV)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 am 
IP:
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
If the Bible says it I beleve it!!!!! KJV BIBLE IS GODS PERFECT WORD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some (not I) say that the story of Lazarus and the rich man is only a parable. The reason I believe Jesus was talking about 2 actual people is that this is the ONLY example of Him naming a person He was talking about. Every other time He named a person, they were either alive, or historically known to have been real people. i.e. Abraham, Adam, Joseph, Peter, John.......... His parables were always about "a certain man, or two people" or something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Gasnmyveins wrote:
Some (not I) say that the story of Lazarus and the rich man is only a parable. The reason I believe Jesus was talking about 2 actual people is that this is the ONLY example of Him naming a person He was talking about. Every other time He named a person, they were either alive, or historically known to have been real people. i.e. Abraham, Adam, Joseph, Peter, John.......... His parables were always about "a certain man, or two people" or something similar.

It does make you wonder if the Lazarus in this is the same one who Jesus raised from the dead. Or if the rich man is the same as the rich young ruler who came to Jesus to ask what he needed to do to be saved. I wonder if Jesus was speaking of real people in what their future would be. Maybe Lazarus would live as a penniless beggar in later days after being raised from the dead. We already knew that the rich young ruler was not ready to give everything away to let go of his security in the "things" he had. We can't know but I wonder if he was speaking of things yet to come from that moment to use that as a teaching lesson.