CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I got a dog that I took on because the guy thought she was allergic to hay or something but I knew she had mange, I have treated her with Nustock 3 times now and she is on a very balanced diet, but seems it keeps coming back, she lost all her hair and has most of it back but it keeps doing the same thing. She has a foul Oder to her and her skiing in spots gets a gritty look to it. It's not red mange just seems odd it won't go away. Anyone else had one like this? Or any advice on cure. I'm considering putting her down but she has a lot of potential and is healthy as far as worm free and weight.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Take her to a vet and get a skin scrape done. Probly just needs a prescribed medication. I hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a dog that 2 years ago her hair was falling out & I took her to the Vets. They did skin scrapes & pulled hair samples. $350 dollars later they called & said there was nothing wrong with her.
In the mean time someone suggested she may not have been getting enough fatty acids. I was feeding her an expensive high energy feed at the time. I started using a common brand of dry dog food with about a 1/4 can of canned food and mixed Flax seed in it. Two to three weeks later she looked great.
Since then I quit useing those high protein, high energy, high price dog foods & she's doing great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Yep, first thing to try is a cheap food. Some dogs can't handle all the protein in a performance food. If that does not do the trick it could possibly be some kind of fungal or other skin infection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this may sound irrelevant, but 2 years ago when I trapped a coon and I picked him up after he was dispatched, a few days later I noticed dry chafing on the webbing between my right thumb and index finger, it spread to the point where it was starting to go onto the back of my hand and spread to take a 1/4 of my palm. The doc gave me penicillin and that didnt work so they took a skin scrape and said I had a fungal infection and they prescribed me a topical cortisol steroid, a few days after that It was all cleared up. Instead of putting the dog down I'd say get it checked out first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

red mange is caused by mites that are found on all dogs. a dogs immune system will usually keep them in check. some dogs immune systems will not so there is an over abundance of these mites and they cause what is commonly called red mange.
nustock will NOT cure servere cases of red mange, it will only mask the symptoms at best, but is great for hair re growth after the mites are under control.
ivermectin given orally will cure red mange.
go to TSC get a 60ml bottle of 1% swine and cattle injectable ivermectin . the oral dose is 1cc or 1ml (they are the same) for every 35lbs. oral dosage is every day for 2-3 months and it will clear it right up assuming its for sure red mange.
since this is a off label treatment most vets will try other methods first.

draw the dose from the bottle into a 3 cc syringe, than remove the needle and draw water or pop into the syringe till full, then squirt it into dogs mouth towards throat.
oral dosage of ivermectin as a heartworm preventive is 1/10 cc for every 110 lbs once a month.
you must be positive the dog does not have heartworms , if it does the dosage for red mange will more than likely kill the dog by killing the existing adult heartworms and choking the dogs heart out.