CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: question about fleas?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

fleas are in my house from our little house dog how do I get rid of them.Also we put drops on the back of his kneck and its not working. Any help would be great.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Frontline and Advantage usually work very well (drops on the shoulders). You can wage an all out war on fleas by bathing the dogs with a good flea shampoo containing one of the 'rethrin chemicals (pyrethrin, permethrin, etc.), then treat the dogs with the drops and don't give them another bath for a while so it has a chance to work, then spray the floors and yard with a flea killing spray or use flea bombs in the house/spray outside. Don't send your dogs to a boarding kennel while you bomb ask a friend or take them out for the day. At a boarding kennel they will pick up a whole new crop of fleas to bring to your nice, flea-free home. If you do it all in the same day it will work better than doing it a little at a time and allowing them to hide in one area while you treat another. One thing about fleas-they are protected from just about anything until they hatch out of their little cocoons so you will keep seeing baby ones for a couple of weeks. If you make sure the chemicals you use have a residual action (sticks to the floor and keeps on killing for a while) those baby fleas will die off quickly. Activity and temperature change causes them to hatch out so if you vaccuum a lot it will speed up the process. I used to be an exterminator and the main problem people had was not being thorough and treating everything at once so the fleas always had a safe place to hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:24 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

make sure you not just putting the drops on the "back" make sure you part the dogs hair and are actually getting all the material on the skin...9 times out of 10 thats why front line or advantage dont "work" i like adams spray for dogs and like on indoor dog pet bedding it comes in a blue bottle...if you have carpet...there are several powders you can use on your carpet and furnature make sure you get out the ole push vac. and get it all up 10 to 15 mins. after applying it

Post subject: fleas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:59 am 
IP:
dont no if it is true or not need some help on this , there is a guy were i run my dogs and we was drinking a beer one afternoon and we got on the subject of fleas and i told him that i use frontline on all three of my dogs, and he told me that that stuff will take a dogs nose away from it lol dont no how but it does so he says. i just wanna know if this has ever happened to anybody else that uses it. and also for my yard can you use a mixture of malithion and liquid 7 dust to spray in the yard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:12 am 
IP:
I've used frontline in the past and my dogs still hunted. An immediate cure for fleas is a bath in dishwashing soap. Dawn specificly.It will kill them. Then put the preventative on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If you really want to get rid of Fleas go to Wal-Mart or Lowes. From the garden center get a blue bottle of tree&shrub insecticide concentrate. Apply like you would admire or advantage if they are real bad apply to the belly. Do this in about 15ml everymonth I guarntee if works for $18 and no side effects.

Post subject: fleas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 am 
IP:
i had a problem just this week with them around my kennel area i sprayed pure clorox and it killed them instantly also as far as your dog dawn dishwash will kill them i use it on my hounds

Post subject: Re: fleas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

mhslim wrote:
i had a problem just this week with them around my kennel area i sprayed pure clorox and it killed them instantly also as far as your dog dawn dishwash will kill them i use it on my hounds

Dawn will kill them momentarly, you still need to get them out of the ground, and treat your dog I use Bayer Tree and Shrubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:27 pm 
IP:
coonscry wrote:
I've used frontline in the past and my dogs still hunted. An immediate cure for fleas is a bath in dishwashing soap. Dawn specificly.It will kill them. Then put the preventative on them.

Did your vet recommend that tree and shrub stuff? I read that its hard on organs. You think milk replacer isn't good for puppies but you put stuff on your dogs that will damage their organs. Good call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

coonscry wrote:
coonscry wrote:

Did your vet recommend that tree and shrub stuff? I read that its hard on organs. You think milk replacer isn't good for puppies but you put stuff on your dogs that will damage their organs. Good call.

It is not any harder on the organs that any expensixe admire or advantage...... Same ingredients. Did you read that? And no the vet did not recommend it b/c he is tring to make a living selling admire and advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:10 pm 
IP:
Thats what I thought about heartworm medicine too. I had never HEARD of a dog getting them. Mine did and now I'm 700 dollars into a dog that has a 60% chance of living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

coonscry wrote:
Thats what I thought about heartworm medicine too. I had never HEARD of a dog getting them. Mine did and now I'm 700 dollars into a dog that has a 60% chance of living.

If it wasn't so marked up maybe you would have. Lets find an alternative. Also, you got ripped off with $700, Last time I had one treated it was right at $300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:34 pm 
IP:
hogwild6337 wrote:
coonscry wrote:

If it wasn't so marked up maybe you would have. Lets find an alternative. Also, you got ripped off with $700, Last time I had one treated it was right at $300.

The treatment was 375 and the rest was incidentals. The dog had a stroke so she was on blood thinners and pain killers and at the vet for 12 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

coonscry wrote:
coonscry wrote:

Before you quote halftruths, look hard at the MSDS. Only at obscenely high levels does any problem surface. Certainly use as we discuss with not present the dog with the daily levels at which the test was run. look at the MSDS on Advantage and you will see the same possible issues. They have to properly label the product , but with reason , common sense can dictate levels and proper use. ALso as you probably read on another thread the oral LD 50 is over 3800 mg/kg, table salt is 3000 mg/kg for rats so that gives you a little insight into relative toxicity. To be honest it is easy to read the cautions and assume the worst. Did not mean to mean a butt! Just trying to be helpful!
Just my 2 cents
Greg Harrison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:46 am 
IP:
Sorry, I didn't see the phrase "obscenely high levels" Not to quote half truths or anything :roll: I was just stating facts. I don't even remotely care if you put this stuff on your dogs. Just pointing out the fact that he doesn't think that ALL animal milk replacer is good for puppies but this chemical is ok. I would probably try the stuff if I had a need for it but I don't. Just pointing out the potential side effects.