CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What should I do?
Put her down. Her hunting days are over and quality of life is declining slowly 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Let nature take its course. Put her down when there is no quality of life left. 100%  100%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Old age Question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got an old dog as a pup trainer a couple years ago. She will be 13 in the spring. This year I've only hunted her 2 or 3 nights. She can still get it done but after an hour or so of hunting she stiffens up and is done for the night. She is usually stiff the whole next day. I give her 1/2 an Ibuprofan after hunting to ease her pain.
She was a darn good dog in her day. I became her retirement home. She has been torn apart pretty good in her younger days as a bear dog.
I'm not a big advocate a culling dogs. I realize it is neccessary but my dogs live in my house and are part of the family.
I believe she as some arthritis in the back end and she limps around a bit once in awhile. I'm wondering how I should handle her end. I'd hate to put her down. In her current health she could live 6 months to 2 years. I have know idea. Do I put her down soon or let nature take its course? Her hunting days are over but she is still a pet. She hates being left at home when I go out hunting. Any ideas?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That's a call you have to make. Consider these questions. Is she generally a happy dog? Is she in pain to where she cannot go outside to relieve herself? Does she have her wits about her? Lots of dogs are not happy to be left at home sometimes but it does not mean the dog's days are finished. That is how it is for dogs, even young ones don't get everything they want. Look at her overall life. Does she still wait anxiously with tail wagging for you to come home at the end of your day or does she lay in one spot quietly and wag once or twice when you come home? No one else can decide this for you. Only you know if this dog is still happy to live. If she still likes to hunt but can't maybe you could just take her out a little or just take her for lots of rides in the truck. Sometimes older dogs can be given a new "job" if you can find something for her to get interested in. If she is crippled or depressed the answer would be easy - put her down. It does not sound like that is the case with her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with all of that. She can still get outside to relieve herself, if she couldn't I would put her down. She seems to be losing it a bit mentally. She doesn't respond like she used to. Her eyes are getting cloudy and her hearing is VERY selective. But for the most part she still seems happy.
Her new job is basically just being a couch potato. She lays around all day. She still likes to get out run but it takes a toll on her pretty quick. I just hope she goes quietly and doesn't suffer.
I've never heard of a coonhound getting to be this old. I've seen a few last until 11 or 12 but they usually go quickly after that or have some major health problem and have to be put down.