CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: ur first coon dog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

B&t pup continued:
Then he started going straight to the house without chasing a cat there , like a dog to a bucket these days.

I started hunting him that fall by myself.Whatever he would chase he wouldn't stay treed long so I got to wearing tennis shoes to keep up. I would run him down a broke him of deer, not that he was slow, because I was fast. He treed a few possums and the finally a coon. I hunted with a single barrel 16 guage Ivy Johnson because it was light and I didn't have enough flashlight to see anything but eyes anyway. Got to treeing coons regular but I always had to get there in a minute or two. One night I was toting a coon and he treed again and I got that one and wasn't paying attention to a pack of foxhounds headed my way. Time the coon was dead he took off and put in with that pack of foxhounds and I never saw him again.
About 30 years later the man that sold me the dog was long dead and the man that the dog bayed cats under his house asked me how did old Major turn out? I told him the story. He said that D'd fellow was my brother in law. He was the lyingest fellow I have ever known. This man told me Major was off his two best July and Running Walker foxhounds and that the dead man knew Major did not have a drop of Black and Tan in him. RIP.
So , young fellows think about that next time you complain about getting took by a DogTrader. Paying $200 for a pup and boo hooing. You could pay that much for a pup and only have to cut 4 yards these days. LOL
If I had not so much heart and work in it I liable to have quit. . So the old dog lie er , may he rest in paece. I have enjoyed taking the hits and the rewards. That is why I don't "Give" kids pups. I have tried it and it doesn't work out. Either a kid has the gumption to ante up the money or he sure does NOT have the gumption to train a dog. I'm just a bleeding heart fuddy duddy can't you tell?

Last edited by 1molatenite on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i grew with hunting dogs cause my daddy coon hunted,but the first dog i ever had was a mixed up blackandtan pup.that pup was treeing squirrels in the yard at 6 months old,so i started possum hunting him.the first night i took him he went to treeing possums like he had done it all his life,craizest thing i ever saw.i couldnt drive so i would walk up side of the mountain to hunt,i reckon the coon hunters going up the mountain would see my carbide light off on the side and they would stop and listen for old keener to tree,sometime there would be 4 or 5 trucks pulled off side of the road.it wasnt long them guys asked me if i wanted to go hunting with them,i said heck yeal theres coons on the top.keener went to treeing coons on the top like he did possums in the valley. i was hunting him one night and he didnt come in, i had to get in early cause i was pitching the next day.after i finished pitching the next day my mama came up to me and said keener got killed on the highway,i saw him laying on side of the road.i went and got him and put him in the trunk of the car and buired him out in the field.he was as good as a dog ive ever seen and one of my best friends,iam glad i had him for 7 years.sometimes when iam hunting i think i can hear him treed way off in the distance,i sure miss that dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Skeets, I know what you mean about hearing things. Before I got my first hunting dog I had a collie I grew up with that I was too young to remember getting. She herded me constantly. We had an old horse that was skin and bones and 36 years old. If it was today the SPCA would have been down here aggravating me every day. When I got about seven I threw an old McClelland saddle from the war (yankee side confiscated by us ) on her and took my first ride with nobody around. I crossed U.S. HIGHWAY 17A to visit my cousins. 17 A is dead as a dirt road now but back then it carried all the trucks that I-95 does now , because that was 95 till it opened in a few years. Anyway, that nag "ran oft" with me and jumped the ditch and landed right in 17A in a gallop. I looked up into the mouth of a chrome Bulldog that was an ornament on Mack van trucks back then. I could have reached out and touched it but we made it across the road and I heard a pop, looked back, and Lassie's heart was rolling across the highway. We buried her in the yard next to some azalias and to this day I lift the bushhog a little higher when the tractor staddles her grave. I still love my dogs but I won't allow myself to get that attached to anything but my kids. Girlfriends think something is missing and it probably is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i reckon i get to attached to my hunting dogs,and after all these years me fooling with dogs is still hard to loose one.i reckon there still alive in my memorys.its hard not to close to a dog after you have had them for years and walked behind them more miles then i care to mention. when i was growing up there wasnt many kids my age that lived around here,so dogs became my friends.if i was outside, then there was a dog with me.i know iam not the smartest dog trainer,but growing up around coon dogs has helped me undstand them more,then if i only was around them when it was time to go hunting.i have a dog now thats testing me,but i dont give up and i like a challange when it comes to tree dogs.my favortie thing to do is hunting young dogs,thats bout the only thing i have patients with.lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
i reckon i get to attached to my hunting dogs,and after all these years me fooling with dogs is still hard to loose one.i reckon there still alive in my memorys.its hard not to close to a dog after you have had them for years and walked behind them more miles then i care to mention. when i was growing up there wasnt many kids my age that lived around here,so dogs became my friends.if i was outside, then there was a dog with me.i know iam not the smartest dog trainer,but growing up around coon dogs has helped me undstand them more,then if i only was around them when it was time to go hunting.i have a dog now thats testing me,but i dont give up and i like a challange when it comes to tree dogs.my favortie thing to do is hunting young dogs,thats bout the only thing i have patients with.lol

LOL I like training too many pupdogs at one time. But ,again, I like to hunt and hear a pack running, old dogs, pups and all. when I get one that goes off yonder and trees by hissewlf at 8 oclock and the rest are running in the marsh , he liable to have to prove hisself to me because I will let him tree till midnight if he will hold it that long. ( now I might get on back to a pup that trees his first one but not if he is a coondog ). He might as well stay as long as it takes for me to get through hunting and then go to him when I take a notion. Most times I find that one that trees by hisself , I don't find a coon anyway .Maybe he will quit it and come on and get with the program and put in and help out!!!!.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:34 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol ole kenner trained me more then i trained him.i wished you could have seen us,me about 12 years old leading a mixed up blackandtan up the road with no gun cause mama thought i was to young to be hauling around a shotgun at night but it was ok carry one squirrel hunting during the day lol. he would hunt with other dogs just fine are by hisself it didnt matter to him,and as far as backing another dog iam sure he would but to be honest i cant remember any dog ever treeing before him but they had to have.back then nobody was worried bout a first strike dog or first tree dog all we cared bout if the dog had the meat when it treed,the dog was either a coon dog or a lying coon dog and a lying coon dog was the lowest creature on earth lol. if you hunt a dog around here that want back another dog or want come back(youll have to get them off the tree)in is about useless,youll end up hunting the dog more times then not and usually youll see the sun comming up by time you get to the truck.lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
lol ole kenner trained me more then i trained him.i wished you could have seen us,me about 12 years old leading a mixed up blackandtan up the road with no gun cause mama thought i was to young to be hauling around a shotgun at night but it was ok carry one squirrel hunting during the day lol. he would hunt with other dogs just fine are by hisself it didnt matter to him,and as far as backing another dog iam sure he would but to be honest i cant remember any dog ever treeing before him but they had to have.back then nobody was worried bout a first strike dog or first tree dog all we cared bout if the dog had the meat when it treed,the dog was either a coon dog or a lying coon dog and a lying coon dog was the lowest creature on earth lol. if you hunt a dog around here that want back another dog or want come back(youll have to get them off the tree)in is about useless,youll end up hunting the dog more times then not and usually youll see the sun comming up by time you get to the truck.lol

My Daddy was from up, near the line., the NC line ner Rock Hill . I could aSC. I figured he was almost a Yankee , being from that close to the line. He was kind of like a Yankee in that he kept birddogs till hurricane gracie came through and screwd up the woods and patches. ANY WAY. [color=I took coonhunting up by my own reconning at about 12 years old . I could carry the Ivey johnsn 16 guage LOL But I was NOT allowed to carry the singleshot 22 Bexause if I missd it might go a mile .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

back then i was pretty good climber or just didnt have enough since to be scared,one or the other i dont know but now i get a nose bleed just thinking bout climbing a tree.mama would never let me hunt with a rifle cause like you said it will kill somebody a mile away,wouldnt let me hunt with a shotgun cause i might fall and the shotgun might go off and kill me,but i could squirrel hunt during the day with one lol.the first time i ever went squirrel hunting with kenner he treed with in i bet 10 mintues,i knocked the squirrel out and went running back to the house to let daddy skin that bad boy.he said ill show you one time and youll have to skin the rest from now on,well daddy had that thing skint in a matter of mintues,i thought no biggie there,well i got another squirrel that day and i aint kidding it took me at least 45 mintues to get that squirrel skinned and i left so much hair on him he nearly looked like he was still alive lol.mama fried him up and that was the best squirrel i ever ate lol.some of my people are from a indian reservation in nc. called quallah(sp) town,but that was a while back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:18 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
back then i was pretty good climber or just didnt have enough since to be scared,one or the other i dont know but now i get a nose bleed just thinking bout climbing a tree.mama would never let me hunt with a rifle cause like you said it will kill somebody a mile away,wouldnt let me hunt with a shotgun cause i might fall and the shotgun might go off and kill me,but i could squirrel hunt during the day with one lol.the first time i ever went squirrel hunting with kenner he treed with in i bet 10 mintues,i knocked the squirrel out and went running back to the house to let daddy skin that bad boy.he said ill show you one time and youll have to skin the rest from now on,well daddy had that thing skint in a matter of mintues,i thought no biggie there,well i got another squirrel that day and i aint kidding it took me at least 45 mintues to get that squirrel skinned and i left so much hair on him he nearly looked like he was still alive lol.mama fried him up and that was the best squirrel i ever ate lol.some of my people are from a indian reservation in nc. called quallah(sp) town,but that was a while back.

LOL nobody ever showed me how to throw a cast net . I tought myself . it was ok , my method was, till I needed to throw a bigger cast net and my method sucked , I'd throw butterbeans, LOL

LOL I met a Big , feller Black preacher of the Babtist faith from near Squallertown . He seemed to me to rather hunt here than up there for he might have to take an ##*%* kicking from the Indians if his dog was to get on their Reservation.. LOL I am semi Familiare with Laws of Navigation and Laws based on Eng Land law. My question, Why?? did we fight? What did we win??? Why did we kick ##*%*?? and end up with an unconquered (conquered ) indian folks that have more POWER To live "FREEEELY" than we do? ??????

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm 
IP:
My first coondog was a 4 year old lone pine walker. He FAs the ultimate pleasure dog. Was accurate about 95% of the time. I got him in 2002 at the age of 16. I worked all summer and saved up the $1000 dollars for him. I called the guy to buy him and he said he was sold. Turns out my grandpa found out my plan from my mom. When she told him I had all the money saved and was going to go get him he bought him out from underneath me and gifted him to me. Said I should save that money for college. Hunted that dog hard for 5 years then work got the best of me and I had to give it up for a while. I am looking for another dog now but I know I will never find another one like him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

tran56 wrote:
My first coondog was a 4 year old lone pine walker. He FAs the ultimate pleasure dog. Was accurate about 95% of the time. I got him in 2002 at the age of 16. I worked all summer and saved up the $1000 dollars for him. I called the guy to buy him and he said he was sold. Turns out my grandpa found out my plan from my mom. When she told him I had all the money saved and was going to go get him he bought him out from underneath me and gifted him to me. Said I should save that money for college. Hunted that dog hard for 5 years then work got the best of me and I had to give it up for a while. I am looking for another dog now but I know I will never find another one like him.

You might be right. how is your granddaddy? Sure wish I had one like him but mine were all dead by the time I was saving up my money. I made mistakes.But I finally did train a few as good or maybe a tad better than the one I saved up for . So, keep your chin up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:44 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

trans i hope you find what your looking for,aint nothing much better then being out in the woods with your dogs.theres been many times i didnt have a dog worth a flip but i still had alot more fun then staying at the house. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first coon dog. well she was the best thing that ever happened to me.I found a stampers red eagle walker female for sale at plott days in Tell City Indiana when i was just 13 yrs old. The guy that had her for sale was asking 1100 for her and i only had 300. after begging and pledding with my dad i got her for 600 thanks to that ole boy. She was EVERYTHING a coon hunter could ask for. my dad told me to just let her get used to me for a couple weeks before taking her out so she didn't run off. Well that lasted about 4 days. Me and a buddy took her out behind the house and turned her loose. After a half hour of silence (worrying my dad was gonna be mad) I called to her. within 5 mins she opened and my heart exploded. within 15 mins she had treed. I can't explain what i felt that night when i got to that tree. All my buddy's were calling wanting to hunt with queen so we hunted almost every night. They still talk about her to this day. I would give anything to have her back. TRULY MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well...not actually my dog(s) but My son's dogs. My son is a real hardcore hunter at 15, and has been since he could walk! he got into coon hunting with his cousin a couple of years back. He wanted a coon dog. I lucked onto a heck of a fellow that offered to give him a started dog. I know what everyone says, a free dog ain't no good right? Well I took my boy out to look at the dog, and before we left the gentleman talked us into bringing three dogs home (two 11 mth old, and one 14 mth old)! That was about 3 weeks ago. The boys have taken the three dogs out with my nephew's other dogs about 4 times. Every time, they treed along with the grown dogs and stayed pretty good at the tree. BUT, this past Friday night my son and my nephew came home all jacked up. Well the way it turned out, they had 3 of my nephews dogs out, and 2 of my son's dogs out....all treed but at two different spots about 200 yards apart. When they got in there they found my nephews three finished dogs on a tree just killing it! Well the tree happened to be a hollow. My son went on in the other 200 yards to the tree where his two dogs were at and those two puppies were jacked up on the tree just killing it with a big ole ringtail laying in a fork way up in that darn tree!

you have never seen a fifteen year old kid more proud!

This just goes to show that there are still some real stand-up type of fellas still out there!

still not sure about the third dog, but those two have found a permanent home!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first coonhound was a black & tan I got back in '96 when I was 11. I'll never forget when she treed her first coon. I don't believe I'd ever been more excited. She had run it up a huge white oak. When I shot the coon, it didn't fall. It got hung up in a fork in the tree and there was no way I could climb it (at least not back then). I just felt sick....felt like I failed her. But we went on to bag a few coons later on. That dog was an OK coon dog, at best. But she still holds a special place with me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next