CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My grandpa is in his mid 80's and because of numerous health problems has had to give up hunting. Everytime I visit him though he asks about my dogs and how many coon we've been getting. He loves to tell stories of when he was younger and coon hunted. I'd like to share his favorite hunting story with y'all. My grandpa's name is Vernon Aronhalt, his hunting partner was a man by the name of Eugene Jones but everybody around here knows him as Snuffy. Some of you may have heard of him as being a bear hunter, in fact there is a pic on this site of Snuffy with a big bear. Anyway, my grandpa and Snuffy were hunting one night along the mountain top here in Mineral County. It was a foggy night so visibility was low at times, on one of their first drops the dogs struck quick and treed. When they got to the tree they were having a hard time finding the coon because of the fog and the grapevines and leaves that were in the tree. After shining the tree for a while, Snuffy decided he would just climb the tree and shake the coon out while grandpa waited with the gun. After climbing over halfway up the tree though, the limbs were too small for him to climb any higher, while Snuffy was shining trying to find the coon from up in the tree my grandpa caught a glimpse of it. He aimed the .22 to where he caught that fleeting glimpse of eyes and fired. After he fired the shot he heard Snuffy start screamin and hollerin so grandpa thought for sure he had shot him, he yelled up to him to ask him what was goin on when down came the coon and Snuffy behind it. Turned out when grandpa shot, he hit the coon and knocked it right into Snuffy's lap, causing the entire uproar. This happened 20 years ago and to this day still gets a laugh out of both men when they talk about it. Hope it made y'all chuckle a little too.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sure did,and thank you for the story, tell grand pa I said howdy howdy,my mother,she passed way on us last june she was from montgomery,near hawks nest, and my father who is 82 is from st.albans. and from your story makes me think about my grandpa ,he once told me a west virgina peom ,that he got darn near kicked out of school when he was youNg,he got caught writing this on the chalk board:
we are the west virgina mountaineers, we dont mess with trifles ,we hang our balls on ##*%* house wall, then shoot them off with rifles!

so there you gave me a good chuckle ,and heres you one. thanks again for the story my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks, that did give me a chuckle. I will be sure to pass that on to my pap as I know he could use a good laugh. He is currently in the hospital for various reasons. His mind has been diminishing for a couple years now but everytime I walk in the room with him the first thing he wants to know is how many coon we've been gettin. So we sit and talk coon huntin for as long as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed the story, thanks and take care.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i love how huntin brings ppl closer my wifes lil brother has had so much happen to him in this first year of coon huntin and he is still hooked ...... asked me damn near every day to go out ..... and hes had a coon dropped on his head ... there was only one tree in this corn feild so he was holdin the dog desided to clip the leed to his belt and when he let him loose he took him with him lol and fell throu the ice up to his chest then had to walk a mile back to the truck ... lol but we have one for life boys lol great story i love sittin aroun bsing with my dad and grandpa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 am 
IP:
funny story best coon hunting story ever lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah, it's great how hunting can bring people together. Pap finally got out of the hospital, so I took my new dog down to see him the other day and his eyes lit up when he saw me walkin her through the door. And there was another couple hours of talkin dogs and coons and huntin, lol. Glad everybody enjoyed the story, happy hunting!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

seems like bad hunts and good hunts always turn into great memories!

Home of

GRNITECH D&D NIGHTIME YADKIN R DEE DEE
BEANS HARDWOOD JAZZ
CH RED EAGLE ROCKO
DAWSON'S HAMMERIN TUFF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

That's what I tell myself everytime I have a bad night . This is gonna make a great story for the boys LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah, and now he wants to hear about all of my hunts. We sit around for hours talkin about dogs and coons and everything in between.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Enjoyed reading the stories guys!!!! Yall enjoy the heck out of talking coonhounds with your dad and grandpa becouse one day they will be gone. My dad and both my grandpas have passed on and all i have are the memories of sitten round and tellen hunten stories and talken dogs with them. But I look foward to sharing many experiences with my two boys.