CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: went out in the snow
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Went out last nite to give it a try. Here in southern iowa we had about 5 inches of snow on the ground, but yesterday it got up to about 36 degrees so I thought just maybe some coon would come out to get a drink maybe something to eat. We dropped the dogs off on a short ditch near some houses about 6:30. I say by houses cause the trappers are thick around here so I knew they wouldn't be close the houses, atleast they shouldn't be, most are kind. Well anyway we walked a good half mile and nothin. I told my buddy maybe we should of just stayed home. We were fightin the snow and the full moon, it was very bright out. Then not 5 minutes later we started seeing some fresh coon tracks in the snow. The dogs started trainling it wasn't long they were treed. Got up to the tree and since it was so bright out you could see 4 balls up in the tree with no light. I shined the tree to see the balls and not 4 but 6 coon were up there. They looked big enough so we shot one to make sure and sure enough, plenty big. When we were gathering up the coon we found another dead under the tree that was good too, bonus! We were walking the dogs back to the truck unleashed and they struck again about 100yds. short of the truck and got 2 more. So a nite I thought I was not goin to get much or anything turned out to be one my best of the year. Must of just hit it at the right time because these coons of easily went in there holes in the ground that were right underneath the tree but didn't. Sometimes you just get lucky. Good hunting.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: went out in the snow
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sounds like a great night .Am tickled to death if i get to kill 1 coon around here lol

Post subject: Re: went out in the snow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 2 trapper buddy's, one has gotten 1200 coon and the other close to 800 this year all within ten miles of my house. I can still get lucky and get a few in the ditches where they haven't been but its gettin slim pickens now. But ya there are a ton of coon around here. Corn fields, small ditches and creeks are plentifull around here.