CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
IP:
Haven't been hunting long so I don't have any good ones like a lot of you do. Scariest for me was seeing a coon on my dog's head trying to drown him, but that'd be pretty common here, so I'll add another.

There's a lot of lions and coyotes where we hunt, but they've only given us a problem once so I don't worry too much about them. We did a short hunt one night and I just didn't feel right so I leashed up the mutt and we were walking back along the canal so we could get to the truck. He just stopped and started sniffing the air so I waited for him to get his fill when he suddenly started growling deep down and pushed his body hard up against my legs like he was scared. He's a real hard-headed dog that loves to fight, so this got my attention REAL quick. He was growling in the direction of the only bridge across the canal, so we had to cross it regardless of what was scaring him. Walked REAL slow and was shining my light everywhere but couldn't see a thing. Crossing the bridge I found fresh blood right on top of my boot tracks.

Never figured out what it was, but I was glad that when I get "bad feelings" I tend to trust them!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That'd give me the heebie jeebies, Kyra!
Trust those instincts.

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

maybe the blood on your shoes was the dogs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

One thing that was kinda scary when it hapend was me and my friend were hunting and we usualy lead the dogs to the woodline on the otherside of the field and turn them loose we were leading them and the dog i was leading started sniffing and stopped so i kept walking and got a couple feet in front of the dog and all of a sudden there was a terrible noise and as i turned to look somethin brushed my bump hat and turns out it was a turkey but it kinda caught me off guard. I thought i was a gonner. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

one time i was hunting and i jumped two bums in the woods. one was bent down pettin my dog so i got her and got the heck out. i hvae no idea what the heck they were doing where they were at but it scared the crap out of me. i have been walkin in those same woods and seen fires just way out in the woods on some nights to. i dont go in those woods much alone, and if i do i carry a gun. AND there are loads of beavers in all the side canals and they always smack the water when im 10 feet from em, that will make anyone jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LOL, Huck loves that beaver smacking sound! I know what you mean about jumping when they do that!

Post subject: interesting at least
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

One night a buddy and I were going hunting in Colorado down on Fountain creek about 5 or so miles from home. I had not plugged in my light so it was dead but it was a full moon and my buddy had his light so it was really no big deal. Halfway through the while my buddies light was off I saw something about waist high that looked like a wolf in the moonlight run acrossed the trail ahead of us. The next morning I went down there duck hunting and found the tracks. It was easily the biggest canine track I had ever seen (about as big as a large mans fist in size). I don't know exactly what it was but I know it was'nt a great dane or Mastiff or any of those dogs cause it was more heavily furred and thicker in the chest and hindquarters. Though they have said that wolves are moving back into CO we are way farther south and this area is more populated.

Interesting deal anyways

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: interesting at least
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:18 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

jmredb wrote:
they have said that wolves are moving back into CO we are way farther south and this area is more populated.

Interesting deal anyways

oh i could jsut about guarentee those you know whats are in CO as we speak. My buddy lives in Fort Collins and he seemed to think they had em there. And they can walk at about 4 mi/hr, lope at 8-10 mi/hr and can travel 90 miles in a day so it would not take em long to get accross colorado, but unless they are feuding with other packs, i dont know if they would head south right away. it sucks havin em around, trust me :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

me and my uncle were hunting a new set of woods and we were on the way to the dogs and i caught a hunter orange vest out of the corner of my eye i looked at my uncle and he was white as a ghost. lukily it was a vest that was setting on top of a stump. what made it seem real was someone had guted a deer earlier and it was starting to smell so we were freakin out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

a few days ago I was walking to my treestand and as I got about 20 yards from the stand, I heard this tree starting to fall. (I'm talk a huge 100ft pine tree!). It was pitch black out (5:30 in the morning) and all I had was a small maglight to find the trail to my stand and my bow. I had no idea which way the tree was falling in relation to where I was standing!! All I could do was just hold my position and hope for the best. Thank God, that I was able to hear huge "boom" as the tree hit the forest floor and I was still in one piece. I made it to my stand in once piece and as the sun came up I saw where the tree fell and landed. It missed me by a good 80-100yards due to the way it fell. But boy oh boy...did I think I was a goner! That probably was the most scared I'd ever been. On a hunt or not!

A few days after that... I was bowhunting on a rainy evening. I decided to sit and watch an open field out of a stand that I had had good luck in seeing deer earlier in the season. Well, the rain started to fall harder and I was starting to get wet and frustrated. SO i decided to get down and still hunt my way out of the woods. I come up on a blow down and see what I thought at first were 3 coons on the ground about 15 yards from me as I came up over a knoll. As I took another look, I noticed that they were 3 bobcats. I only had two arrows, So I Shot and hit one ( 25lb male). the other two run off. well, One came back out of a some brush to see what had happend to the one I'd just shot. SO i fired another arrow just missing it. Now...I'm out of arrows and have two cats running around me. Luckily, my buddy was about 60yards over the hill from me hunting and herd me yelling and sorta came to the rescue. But boy, its a scarey feeling when your out of arrows or bullets and got preditors at your heels!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

this isnt really a hunting story, but i had just come back in from deer hunting, put my dogs back in the lot, fed them watered them, and pet them up real good, i was on the porch taking my shotgun in the house, when all of a suden i heard a scream i havent herd before, my dad wasnt too far behind me, so he told me it was 2 bobcats fighting in my uncles barn not too far up in the woods. my hair stood up on the back of my neck for a good 10 minutes. i was only 9 at the time, so imagine being that young and hearing that..lol..but i was a nosy kid, i wanted to go and see them..i dont know why i wanted to, but daddy explained why not. im only 16 now, and just starting coon hunting, but ill let yall know if i have any experiences, we have ton of bear here and a mountain lion behind my uncles where i also plan to hunt, so im expecting something to pop up soon, lol

Hudson Hound Kennels
home of:

"Boone" and "'PR' Hudson's BOOM'N Moonshine"

and the deer walkers i have... "boy" "caramel" and "knotthead"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:41 pm 
IP:
One night we were coonhunting and the dogs kept treeing and taking off again and finally we sat at the bottom of the bluff and waited for them to start treeing solidly to go to them and the next thing we know something came flying off the bluff behind us and the dogs hadn't been barking very much at all so we figured it was the dogs coming back but it wasn't slowing down and we didn't here the dogs anymore so it was coming very fast so i flipped my light on and tuned a round and there was a bobcat like 5 yards away and then the dogs came running right after it and we caught them

The 2 people i hunt with one of them being my dad and another a freind of me and my dad they both on 2 different nights the dogs treed a coon and the next thing they know they were surounded by coyotes and the dogs were even scared and backed up to there legs and stood there shaking

Redbones are red
Blueticks are blue
If you hunt with a Walker you'll want one to

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

hunting one nite the old dog got treed and my 6 mth. pup was on the wood with him and was sounding good, we go up to the top of LOOKOUT MT. and the dogs are treed on the bluff, i did not want my pup eat-up so i pulled him of the tree , as i was trying to shot the coon i steped back and fell off of LOOKOUT MT. ABOUT 40FT. down, when i came too i was looking up the bluff at my hunting buddy and he did not know if i was alive or dead, when he got down to me he just know i was dead , i did not move for 30 or 45 min. when i was able i tried to set up but hurt all over , i ask my buddy where my pup was and he did not know (pup went over with me)i ask him were my gun was and he did not know but he said the gun had shot on the way down, when he said that my foot was the only thing hurting so i took off my boot and the blood was running i was shot in the top of the foot .we were 2 miles from the truck , i did make it out about 6hr. later but if it was not for my buddy , i do not know. thank you shawn

GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH JUDY
PKC SILVER CHAMPION,,,,,,,,,, ACHA NITE CHAMPION
ACHA ALABAMA STATE CHAMPION
TRUE STORY ,,, THAT'S RIGHT ,,, NO-NONSENSE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That would be scary, glad Shawn was there for you. How about the pup? He find ya'll?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

my pup was at the truck when i got there , he was ok ,but he could not move to good for a few days.

LITTLE RIVER KENNELS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next