CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ANOTHER STORY!!:)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

THIS IS ANOTHER STORY THAT I HAD JUST FINISHED WRITING! I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!! THANKS CASEY LYNN HOUTZ

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g375/CaseyHoutz/

caseyhoutz@yahoo.com

--------------------------
WHAT I'M GIVEN
--------------------------
The moon cast it’s shadows down through the piney tree branches, As I bent down to unleash the young hound that stood at me feet, as I reached down the young dogs tail began to swing side to side from the excitement and prospect of being turned loose into the dark woods to hunt the night creatures, As my fingers unsnapped with a clink that echoed in the night time silence, And at that sound the young dog took off at a run down into the dark piney woods. As I straightened up I let a mouth full of air escape from my mouth and it was visible in the cool night autumn air, turning my light down I began to walk through the woods as the moon cast it’s light down on me, I used it to guide me along the quite path, as I walked my old red wing boots didn’t make a sound on the pine needled covered floor, my heart was beating slowly but I was in high anticipation of my young dog. I had trained that young dog from a small pup, I had taught the pup with a coon hide how to tree and trail it, I began walking through the woods and in my mind I could almost imagine all of the night creatures that roamed these woods and there is a lot of animals other than coons that a young dog could chase, And knowing that my guard was set on high. I knew of all of the opossum , porcupines, deer, and bears that were plentiful in the Alleghany mountains of central Pennsylvania. I was all to familiar with the other creatures that I was sharing the woods with that night. I was born and raised in these mountains and knew my way around well, My Daddy grew up farming the hard mountain land, and just like my Grampa did before him. I have had the experiences of watching Daddy farm with great care and he taught a six of his children to do the same, I know what it is like to go rock picking in the early summer and bailing hay in the muggy hot July afternoons, and I know what it is like to harvest corn in the fall time along with the beans to, I was taught by daddy how to train coon dogs and to enjoy what they are bred to do, I stopped along crick ( that is what we call it) and bent down cupped some water in my hands and slowly drank it down. Just as I stood up a long bawl of a coonhound echoed down through the piney woods, my heart began to beat faster! I had waited a long time for this moment! Although a feeling of uncertainty slipped through my mind, Because I didn’t know what my young dog was hunting, but all I could do is follow him. As I began to follow I was going straight towards the mountain, After twenty minutes the young dogs voice changed from a long bawling locate to a steady chopping, as I got closer my heart began to beat faster! Coming up out a bunch of underbrush, I stopped and shone my light towards the young dogs voice, as I looked I saw what every coon hunter wants to see their young dog accomplish . my dog was standing underneath a big oak tree, barking and letting the whole world know he had treed! Many hunters have high expectations for their young dogs just like I had for mine! As I got to my dog I leashed him up and began praising him, good boy, sic em, talk to em!! Getting praised like this the dog really got excited! And began to bark louder! The light from the moon shone down through the top of the tree I took my light and to search, a search for something every coon hunter wants to see. Especially when you have been hunting and training such a young dog, after shining one side of the tree and not seeing anything I walked over to the other side and shone my light up into the branches, then way up at the top of the highest branches was the coon! I felt like I was standing on the highest mountain in Pennsylvania! Taking my eyes off from the top of the tree and back down to where my young dog was standing I had to smile to myself and thank the good Lord for letting this happen , I could never had let this happen on my own. But by hunting and turning my dog loose I learned something new, something I couldn’t have taught my young dog on my own. As I walked over to my young dog I took my hand rubbed it down his long silky ear, good boy I said. Letting the young dog tree a few minutes longer, I untied the leash and retraced my steps down through the piney woods and back down onto the dirt road. As I almost got home I honker down and call my pup over to me, the pup walked over and nudged his cool wet nose into my hand. Rubbing the young pups face taking my fingers and scratching underneath his collar, the young pups hind leg starts kicking showing his appreciation for me scratching him, I look again a the young dog and thank the Lord for letting this happen! As I reached the kennel I am greeted by our four other coon dogs all of them were looking at me and wagging their tails! I had to smile at them and in a quite voice I say not tonight you guys maybe tomorrow, I was a happy hunter that night, as I looked at all of my dogs my heart swelled with happiness and adoration, happiness for being blessed to live and grow off such a beautiful land. Even though life is hard working on a farm and battling the constant changes in milk prices, I maybe young but I have had watched my Daddy as he worked over the years, his hands are calloused and his face is a picture of the land, strong, weathered, tough and happy! Just like my Grampa and Great Grampa before him they all worked the same mountain land and never quit! Maybe the saying is true, Farmers work is never done! And as my family work the same land over the days, weeks, months, years and generations, I will always remember the satisfied look that comes to Daddy’s face as he looks up into a full hay mile, and the look he has on his face as the rain comes slowly down covering the sun dried corn fields and helping everything grow! I am blessed to live in this place and to learn how to work on a farm! As I get home and go up to my bedroom, I lay down and just before going to sleep, I reflect on the events of the evening, my heart swelled with love, joy and adoration! And I fell asleep happy, content and lord willing , ready to meet the next morning at four thirty with a smile on my face and a spring in my step! Always remembering how lucky I am living in the mountains of central PA, and having a loving family, and NEVER taking for granted, WHAT I’M GIVEN! Thanks for reading God Bless!!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: ANOTHER STORY!!:)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thank you, you have a talent of putting words on paper.

Post subject: Re: ANOTHER STORY!!:)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

skeets wrote:
thank you, you have a talent of putting words on paper.