CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, took the two of the girls out tonight and got an unpleasent surprise, i guess that the coons have been taking it easy because sadly my dogs layed up 2 opossums tonight. I was kind of upset though because they started running a deer after them two opossums.... They ran it for atleast two miles into a woods that we call the hundred acre woods... because it's one of the last true (but not hardwood) woods around. So, i just looked at my buddy and told him that we needed to listen to the music and let the girls come back on their own, about 15 minutes later (which i thought was a great time because it was time for my buddy to go home) they came trotting back. I was happy with them for that atleast. Now, i'm not too upset about the opossums, i'll just let that be for now.... but will these girls eventually stop running the deer, when they run a track and NEVER catch up with it... just wondering, thanks for the help

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im right there with ya. Dog searched for 30 min without striking a trail. Hit that deer and ran it for a good mile before i was able to Whoop him on back to me. Made me want a shock collar! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have the same problem with my two puppies when i take them together, but if i run them seperatly they don't seem to pay the deer any attention.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been able to let my dog know that we are only after coons, I simply ignore or discourage anything else, and then I openly show excitement over coons and praise him for getting fired up on coons. I'm sure two dogs would be alot more of a handful to handle, I'm anxious to get another dog to hunt with mine and try it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

took me a while to post but i am also a young hunter 16 actually....but i have a tracking and gps collar for my dog....he took off on a deer and cut off for 1.5 miles...i gave him a shock at about 800 because he was getting way to far off in a straight line for a coon... and i shocked him acouple of more times.....i think after that 3rd shock he got tired of it and started hunting coon again...lol he started treeing a mile and a half away so he made me walk all that far...sure enough he had a coon in the tree and we got the heck out of there after a long hard night!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

that deer running stuff is for the birds. my walker pulled that stunt on me twice.. coon huntin one night turned into a bar scene with a few vehicles buried in mud my dog took off and i never got him back for a week.. he must have eaten some deer scraps on his excursion because i fattened him back up bout two weeks later dropped him and what do ya know hes unfaithful runnin deer. he got the old sportdog around his neck and i had a few deer hangin durin deer season i lit him up a couple good times and he hasnt wanted anything to do with them since.. now once in a while he will take off on what i believe is a red fox but we are workin on it. usually we just crack a cold one and start a fire that ol Gator he will come back.