CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well folks, I thought I would pass a little time and tell about a hog hunt that took place about 9 years ago. Now Sulphur River is a little river that runs from Paris, Texas on down into Arkansas and into Red River. covering over 150 miles long. This little river catches a lot of run off water and at times can get out of it banks, way out and be 10 foot deep in the timber in the bottom lands. Well this hunt took place one winter when the river was out of it banks and the water was high enough to put the wild life onto islands (hills in the river bottom that were high enough that the water did not cover) but water was all around it. Now that the setting is set , this morning we decided to go hog hunting with some young cur dogs we had raised. Half mountain cur and half yellow black mouth cur. These were as natural bay dogs as ever hit the ground. I had a male named Clyde and a female named Bonnie, together they were trouble :) and my nephew had a male that he call Hank. We took Hank and Clyde and 5 of us, ( my self, son Derrel, nephew David and friends Danny and Scott. (Scott was a large boy of 15 years old) the other boys were all in early 20's. Two 15 foot long john boats & motors and headed up the river. We located this large island and tied boats and turned dogs loose. In no time after landing we had walked upon large rooted out places. We knew that it was fresh sign and hogs were not far. This island had a large field in the middle and had grown up in briars and small sapling. Now Clyde was working a track real careful like around a large briar patch and the boys were in a hurry to get somewhere, after Hank I think, darn if I know where, but they were ahead of me some 50 yards or more when Clyde jumped a black sow out of the briars and here she came by me with Clyde in hot pursuit. The old gun roared and the hog went down with Clyde closing in for his mouth full. Well a short field dress job and off we went again. The dogs went south west to the far corner of the island and bayed. Well the boys in all their excitement took off in a dead run to get to them. I just kind of took my time and listen to the dog baying and watch the action. "Boom" "Boom" "Boom", I could hear the guns talking, then I saw Derrel long stepping north and could hear the dogs baying ahead of him. Another Boom and a hog down. I walked over to him and ask how many and he replied, don't know, hogs went every direction !. This boy was pumped. We field dress this hog and had the dogs on leash waiting for the others to get back together with us. When they all got to us, no body else had a hog :D I had to polk a little fun about all the shooting and no meat. Then David said they went east and Danny said yeah and they wanted to go after them again. Nothing would stop them now, so off they went again, 3 boys and 2 dogs. In about 15 minutes Derrel and I heard the dogs baying and the guns start talking. This time 3 hogs went down. Folks, if you have been keeping tab, this is 5 hogs on the ground, all of which weigh a 110 lbs up to 250 lbs. and guess what. The sun is going down in a hurry and it is a long ways to the boats for 5 hogs. After a lot of draging and sweating, I did mention this is winter time, well we did sweat alot that evening. The last hog was Derrel's which was the fartherest away and dusk was upon us. We had one small 2 cell flash light , so I told Derrel and David for them to go get the last hog and I would stay with the boats and holler them back , so they would not get lost in the dark. It is a good thing I stayed at the boats too. Mama did not raise a fool. Now I mentioned Scott being a large boy of 15 and still not sure of his manhood in the dark. Especially when the other boys were pranking with him and also a large boar hog was in the brush popping his teeth and grunting at them all the time they were trying to get this last hog out. Finally with ropes tied to the hog and sticks tied in the end of the ropes to allow 2 men to get ahold onto the end and drag, all four boys were working to get this hog back to the boat, but Scott kept looking over his shoulder in the direction of the old boar that was making all the noise. Derrel, Danny and David were all giving him billy-heck for not pulling and to forget about that boar and just pull, when Derrel went to salpping his pants lets and David went to squealling like a wild hog, and Danny yelling like a wild man and Scott dam near drag the hog over all of them and half way to the boat before thay got him stopped. The laugh was a good one and Scott took it well. But did promise to whoop some ##*%* when he got old enough. This kid was 6'3 and 220 lbs at this time. We were lucky to have had some spot lights in the boats and was able to get back down river safely. We did dress hogs until after midnight.

Hope you folks enjoy this
little hunt , cause we sure did.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Hey Arachyd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have you figured out by now that you can hunt hogs just about anyway you so choose. Day or night, over a feeder or with dogs. Bow & Arrow or Knife & catch dogs. But I recomend always carring a fire arm of some sort just in case :D I sure hope that these 3 stories that I posted have been interesting and fun to read for the readers. I could tell more but don't want to get carried away. Anyway take care and good hunting.

Post subject: Wild Hog Picture
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

scan0001.jpg

This is a pic of a hog we killed several years ago. Hope this works where you can view it, 5 inch tusk in perfect condition. lucky for us no dogs got cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I really enjoy the hog hunting stories. I'll try it someday when I can get away for a vacation. The pic isn't showing up. Did you load it onto a picture hosting site like hunt101.com or photobucket.com?

Post subject: arachyd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I tried to load it in this picture hosting site TinyPic.com , but can't seem to have any luck getting it to work. Do you want to post it for me. If you will send me your e-mail address, I can attach it to an e-mail for you. let me know, OK. This hog is a site to see !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Just click the email button under my dog's picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Heres a pic of TXcoonhunters Hog..

Post subject: Sulphur River Bottoms
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey do any of you folks remember the movie that Robert Mitchum stared in with George Hamilton II . it was filmed in the same river bottoms. Do any of you remember the title of the movie. They had a wild hog turned rogue and George took his dad's (robert) dogs and went to hunt it down. ?? If I remember correctly it was back in the late 50's or early 60's. I was a very young boy when it first came out.. I know the title, just wondering if anyone else does.??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think if I saw something like that hog in the pic I'd go home and get a bigger dog, even if I had to borrow one :shock: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:13 am 
IP:
Man, thats why I miss East Texas. I used to fish up on that river when I was living back home. We'd always get a mess of catfish out of that river. I even found a $60 abu garcia rod and reel on fathers day up there one day propped up against a tree. (im sure I didn't steal it, no one was camping or any where around or I would have asked them if it belonged to them.)I gave it to my dad since I was only about 12 years old and didn't have any money to give him anythin else.

Post subject: good hog
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:33 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

that's a good sized one there bud