CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well, i've had one of my three dogs chained out in the yard the last couple of days, and she has been used to the new shock collar i bought. i took her out tonight, just looking for a deer to jump up, well how about 5 deer next to a hay bale, talk about easy. I took her over, and of course she freaked out, so i let her off, and she ran right after them, well i gave her a tingle, and she came the 10 yards back to the edge of the woods, looked back in and dove in, this time, she tried to ignore the level 4 shock, so i pumped it up to 8 and let her rip for about 4 seconds, man am i cruel :twisted: well, i heard her and she acted like she was starting to go back after them, with one more 4 second or so shock, she squealed like a kitten. so, i let her mill around for about half a minute, and i called out to her in my most normal voice, "you wanna go home wendy??" lol she came back like a whooped puppy!! I understand though, u guys think i'm horrible, but just last saturday night, i was watching as cars were dodgin my dogs because they were trailing an effin deer across the road... i was sick as hell... so i did what i had to, and now she's the first in doggy boot camp. i think i'm off to a good start, what do u guys think?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:11 am 
IP:
gary1095,

Howdy, I don't have deer around here in Dallas county but I know how my hounds would run them when over in east Texas. Dogs love to run deer, it's their favorite thing to chase. A shock collar would do the trick and I would not feel bad about training them not to chase deer. The shock collar won't kill them but cars will. No you ain't cruel.

Where I hunt right out my door is at the end of a road backed up to a creek with hundreds of acres around me. I don't need a shock collar. But my new hound Dukedog is a wild and crazy dog and is not trained to come. In fact Duke is not trained to do anything. He is a good hunting dog and hunts all night, him and Sandymay. I can go out with them now that it is fur season. But I wouldn't take Duke anywhere else to hunt and won't, till I feel much better about him minding me... if he ever does. Dukes a Black & Tan 2 year old and I never had a dog who is so mean. Sandy's a Walker and sort of minds, if she wants to...
{Both free dogs}
A shock collar sounds like it may help because Dukedog bites the sxxx out of me if I grab or touch him. What do they cost?

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

They are great training tools if used right. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Just had to do this to one of my dogs as well. It beats having to bury them or them running deer only. Keep working with them they will understand.

GRCH Quail Hills Juice Berr-ee