CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Heavener Rune Stone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
IP:
Gentlemen,

Many years ago in the early to mid 70's I was driving through Heavner/Poteau Oklahoma on vacation with my cousin Joe, and our dogs Lady and Loki. We were in our early to mid 20's and I never saw the Rune Stone but bought a Heavner newspaper with a complete write up on the Rune Stone and still have it in my library.
I was very curious about the subject and upon mentioning it on Stormfront which by the way I haven't read in years, was called a liar.
I remember that the Norsemen who survived the trip to Oklahoma were harassed by the native inhabitants who shot arrows at them and they eventually made their way back. A long and dangerous journey by today's standards.
I also remember the lady who devoted her life to translating the Stone and that a man from Norway who specialized in reading just those type of Rune Stones was contacted and he could read it. It said basically that 'so and so was here on such and such a date and we have had lots of trouble from the natives shooting arrows at us so we are like outta here'.

I will go hunt it down tonight {the old newspaper} as I know it is there but I have over a thousand books in my library, and report any details that may not have been mentioned. It's just an old newspaper 2/3rds my age and I'm 60. A very interesting thing to think of especially for two young men in their 20's. The country is beautiful to drive through on the Oklahoma/Arkansas border, north of the Ouichita Mountains and along the Arkansas river. The land is flat but for giant mountains, real weird geologically and very beautiful.

We would drive along and at the call of SQUIRREL! The passenger would grab the .410, we'd slow down and Boom, throw the meat in the back of my '64 Chevy pickup truck and we would drive on. When hungry we would stop, clean the squirrel's and rabbits while the other would build a fire. Some of the best dinners I ever remember having. And fish!...
Blue Mountain lake was absolutely full of catfish and we ate like kings the whole time we were there. Catfish cooked on a wood fire with an old refrigerator rack for a grille and beer. Our only gear was Zebco reels and grasshoppers. We would eat and we were ready to move on.

I gotta go back there someday before I am dead and do just the same thing we did back when we were young men. Cousin Joe however turned into a junky and I haven't seen him in years, don't want to either. Anybody want to go let me know. We won't be the first to explore it but traveling there is much more comfortable now. My '64 Chevy is gone but I still have my .410 and my Zebco so...
Squirrels ready lets eat!

Thank you...

J. Winters von Knife

Join the forum today and remove this ad!