CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's ok man can't get em every night. I'm sure the more you have him out the better he'll come along. Seems to be a very promising dog already. Have you tried hunting him with older dogs yet? I've always heard that's one of the best training methods is to get em with a well seasoned partner.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Huck, not sure I understand the question. I'll tell you what I do though. Last night was only my second night of live training. My girlfriend holds the dogs on the where they can't see while I drag our little buddy's cage around maybe fifty yards or so then sit him on the other side of a tree. Turn the dogs loose and let em run the track til they come up on him. Doesn't take but a minute or two. Did that a couple of times in different places taking him a little farther each time. I have a coon skin I let em tear on but they sure want the live one pretty bad. Soon, very soon. I do want to put a disclaimer on here though, I live in east Tennessee where it's illegal to have a caged wild animal. Luckily I have a friend in a bordering state just up the road where they have no such law. My game animal was trapped and is kept there and that's where my training is done. Want to keep it legal and all. Hoping to do a lot more with the little fella start putting him up in the tree and stuff. Goin great so far though

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

jonerik_harkins, thanks. You sure got a heckuva deal on those fine-looking hounds. Sounds like they're about done with the cage and ready for some real action.

Redbone456, Out 150 yards, at night, for 10 month old sounds real good to me. I predict in next month he's gonna strike hot and tree his first night-time coon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I thought about running him with an older dog but idk if i wanna trust someone for that i dont want there dog to run a deer and have mine follow mine has yet to chase deer and we have had him around! And huck i honestly thought it would happen last night but in all honesty i dont think it will even be a month

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Prob right bone, you'd have to know somebody and their dogs pretty well and been out with them a couple times. I think you're doing the right thing and agree on getting one soon, sooner than we think I bet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Copper and Dixie last night. Dixie is the girl she's sitting there looking up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Huck, yea I'd say taking him out at night would be a good idea. How old did you say he was? I'd also get a coon skin for him to smell and play with the earlier you start him the quicker you can expect results. It took me forever to find one once I started looking then one day I seen one run over on the side of the road right down from my house. I knew it was a fresh kill from the night before since I travel the road everyday so I dumped my cooler out and stuck him in there, took him home and skinned and dried him. Thanks for the encouragement too, I'd like to think mine are ready for the real thing but I have the best training opportunity ever right now and gonna continue that for at least another month or six weeks before I consider the next step. What kind of dog food do yall feed yours?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:59 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I use ol Roy dog food, my redbone pup is just now starting to go out further now, she is ten months old.. I take her with the older dogs, she like to go by herself till the old dogs tree then she will go see what's going in... She hasn't got the treeing down pat yet but I'm in no hurry. I started training her when she was 8 months cause I don't wanna start her to young... I have had her on 2 caged coons which she treed.. But I don't like using caged game too much, just a lil does A lot

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We showed our dog his first live coon when he was 6 months old and that same day he treed that coon opened up on the tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i feed mine purina one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i'm feedin' my 5 month old Diamond puppy. Im under feedin' him but lately added 1 egg per day.

(PR)reddogj, you started huntin him at 8 months. Did you walk him in the woods before that, or just play in the yard?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I just like starting them late, more mature,less mistakes, just about like a person learning to drive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Nothing wrong with that i prefer to get em started earlier but its personal preference

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yeah I guess so, idk I'm thinking about sellin the red and getting an English male

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next