CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello to all. Thought I would pass the happenings of this little hunt alone to those interested in hog hunting. My hog dog Chief (plott hound) has a new home and I called to check with his new owner to see how he was enjoying the Ole dog. The following story is as it was told to me by Bob.
Bob said that one evening a couple of weeks ago he noticed that Chief was bawling and carring on a lot more than usual and decided to check and see what was the matter with him. He said Chief was standing on his hind feet and looking down into the pasture which is a long low creek drainage behind Bob's house that once was timber but now is pasture land and was looking at or winding a hog. Now this creek drains into Sulphur River bottoms and when you leave the pasture land it turns into a big thicket of saw briar and vine until you get deep into the river bottom land. Bob's hired hand Tray was at work and Bob decided to turn Chief loose and try to catch the hog. Boy ole boy that was music to Tray's ears and no sooner had Bob spoken than Chief was loose. They watched as the ole plott went like a bullet straight and true across 1/2 mile of pasture to the hog. In a matter of minutes Chief had the hog stopped and they were still in the open pasture. Well Bob turned loose 2 other cur bay dogs to get a little help down there for Chief and then he loads up his bull dog to do the catching and take out. By now the hog has made a run or two at the dogs and is on his way into the thicket with hounds and curs in hot pursuit. Bob told me that he had never seen a hound that could cover so much ground as fast as the Chief dog could. Just like a cat on his feet. Well the hog made it into the thick stuff and the dogs had him stopped again. When Bob and Tray got fairly close to the bay, they turned the catchdog loose and thing picked up in a hurry, the hog went to squealing and dogs hollering. When they finally got to the bay, the hog was down. Not dead mind you, just caught. The bulldog had him a mouth full of ear and the curs and Chief had pork as well. Now they tied him up and had to drag him out for a ways til they could reach him on the wheeler. This hog was no monster, just a darn good sized 250 lb boar, with 3 inch cutters and a very bad attitude, but he was begging for some relief from all those teeth. Luck was with the dogs and only minor nicks and no major cuts, they were all put back up after a good job. Now after getting this hog back to his pen and turned loose in it. Bob noticed that every time he got close to the pen, this boar would hit the side of the pen with everything he had, trying to get to him. Bob figured the hog would settle down in a few days and he could use him to train dogs with. Nope! nothing doing, this boar was mad, I mean really mad through and through. Every time anyone got around the pen, he would come unglued and hit the pen trying his best to hurt something. Bob called a Hunting Ranch owner and told him about this boar and what a set of cutters he had and the Ranch owner wanted him for a trophy hunt. Signed , sealed and delivered. The boar had a new home. a few hundred acres to roam free on and lots of feed and other hogs to run with. Guess what folks ?? First day the ranch hand went to put feed into the feeders, he met this boar in a 4 wheeler trail on his wheeler, WHAM WHAM this sucker attacked the wheeler and the ranch hand went up a tree. He watched this hog work the wheeler over then leave. Still a little ticked off huh ? !! . The next weekend 3 hunters were on their way hunting and decided to check out the ranch before actually taking a bow or rifle with them to hunt. Yes you guessed it, they run into MR. B.A. (bad attitude) with nothing to protect them selves with. He put 2 of them up trees and the 3rd ole boy went for the fence. He made it half way up the fence and B.A. grabbed his pants leg , jerked him down and proceded to cut the pants off this ole boy. Well his buddies helped get him out of the jam with out too much damage. Then they all decided that this was the one they all wanted. After telling the ranch hand about their little incident the ranch hand told them that he would pay the__&__ fee just to get rid of this bad boar. Sorry folks I don't know if they made good on the promise or not. I haven't heard the end of MR. B.A. as of this writting. (This is an actual event ) When I hear the end, I will post it.

Hope you enjoyed the story

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D Wow.. that is awesome... better keep us updated on this one!!! Cool story!! Thanks for sharing!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Good story and sounds like Chief is a good dog. I don't even want to ask why you parted with him. Please let us know if B.A. winds up on somebody's wall or wearing somebody's undies like a flag on his tusks :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hire them a bullfighter

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth