CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

we use to set a dog up on a tree and get it treeing to suck the other dog back in.
one night i went with a man and his 14 yr old son.
we waited a good long while at the truck waiting for the dogs to strike, after around an hour the man told his son , well you might as well try and call them in.
that kid fell treed at the side of the road like Hardwood Lonnie slammin a running coon. a big dying bawl locate yow ooooooo and then yow yow yow yow yow yow,
believe me or not, the dogs came in and actually covered the kid on the tree.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Haha that would be hilarious, I have has to do the set the dog up trick before but mostly if you just can't hear them it will being my young dogs in but the horn means food I blow it like crazy before I feed them and every time I get ready to load up to go hunting. They associate the horn with food and going out so normally they come in( not always)!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hahahaha!!! Good stuff!!! toe cutter, I would pay to have been there and seen that!

A man may have many dogs in his life, but a "True Legend", comes only once...

PR RAGIN LIL' SOUTHERN BELLE
PR WRIGHT'S SOUTHERN RED RUBY
PR WRIGHT'S MISSISSIPPI MAGGIE

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Don't think i ever owned one could be called off but now i think about it, only tried once that i recall. Had an 8y/o walker female workin thick brush and the rascal wouldn't climb. This dog was low weight kinda run down and 'bout wore out from running that coon. Surprised me when she came to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I dont own a single hound or pointer that I can't get a handle on. Every single one is trained to come in to the tone of their collar too in case they are out of hearing. It doesn't take much at all to get them that way either - a check cord and electric collar with a little yard work - this is not the same as getting mad out in the woods and just frying an unconditioned dog cause he wont come in and calling it training. the trick is not over doing it training especially once moving into the woods. can make a weaker willed dog a little clingy for a bit but they will get over it. Now on the other hand it is very rare that I will call one of my hounds in when they are out hunting especially if they are running a track. Only time I will call one off track is if it is getting into a real dangerous situation like a train coming and they're near or headed to the tracks. But there is absolutely no reason not to have a well trained hound to hunt with - obedience is the easy stuff. The reason a lot of people don't is that they either don't want to put the time in or don't know how to even really train. Just my 2cents. ...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

VABirdDog wrote:
I dont own a single hound or pointer that I can't get a handle on. Every single one is trained to come in to the tone of their collar too in case they are out of hearing. It doesn't take much at all to get them that way either - a check cord and electric collar with a little yard work - this is not the same as getting mad out in the woods and just frying an unconditioned dog cause he wont come in and calling it training. the trick is not over doing it training especially once moving into the woods. can make a weaker willed dog a little clingy for a bit but they will get over it. Now on the other hand it is very rare that I will call one of my hounds in when they are out hunting especially if they are running a track. Only time I will call one off track is if it is getting into a real dangerous situation like a train coming and they're near or headed to the tracks. But there is absolutely no reason not to have a well trained hound to hunt with - obedience is the easy stuff. The reason a lot of people don't is that they either don't want to put the time in or don't know how to even really train. Just my 2cents. ...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

When I was younger I never had a handle on my dogs, like you said I never really knew how to get a handle on them. After I got into bird dogs for a while I learned alot about yard work, and now mine handle like a dream. I even whistle trained them in case the wind gets up or they are really deep, the wistle will carry farther than your voice. A few weeks ago me and some buddies were on the lake hunting from a boat. My dog was getting deep, and hadn't opened, so I started calling him. The other guys watched in amazement when not only did he come back to the bank, but he actually hit the water and swam out to the boat, all I had to do is reach over and pull him in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I expect my dog to come in if called regardless of what's in the works, I put a lot of time putting a handle on my dogs. One reason being rough mountain terrain I hunt, I also road hunt a lot with this method u at time encounter other hunters or vech.
Its a plus at these times to have your dog of choice to return to truck to avoid problems that may arise from obstacles. I never could stand a hound that would ignore my commands or pulling me around on a lead. So I put many hours into yard work along with putting dogs in the timber and enjoy every moment of both.

(LIKITY SPLIT)(GOOBER)(BUGG)(PENNY)(WRINKLE)(LIL MIGHTY MITE) bearers of no big titles or all grand pedigrees, but a product of 5 generations of heavy red eagle and yadkin river line breeding, IF YOU SEEN ONE YOU HAVE SEEN THEM ALL !
FORMER HOME OF
GRCHGRNTCH STYLISH HARRYS ALL GRAND RPM
GRNTCH SANKER DEEP
GRNTCH MIDNIGHT BAT
GRCH GRNTCH SWIFT CREEK SWAMP
Grch GRNTCH TREE ROCKIN REX
GRNTCH YADKIN RIVER RACKETT
GRNTCH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I work with my dogs on this type of obedience when they are young. Then I continue their leash and heal training as they learn to be coon dogs.

I expect to be able to call them in at any time. I have hard tree dogs, but expect them to come when they hear me.

It's not completely full proof. But for the most part, they obey.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I start a lot of Mt. Curs and a few Hounds each year. I am doing the yard work at home breaking all my dogs even my older dogs. I am using the buzzer on my Tri - Tronics Trash breaker as a recall tone all of my young dogs weare one any way and now I went back and rebroke my older dogs. so when I go hunting I put a collar on each dog that im hunting and I have a two mile range with the buzzer. Even if there treed on the other side of the river I can buzz them two or three times and they will come to the truck with out ever saying a thing to the dog it will not in any way change there hunting or treeing. I have no need for a tracker now. I hunted with two broke dogs that were trained thise way and I would not have beleaved it. so when the wend or rain is bad I don't have to say a word just give them the buzz and they all come in with out messing around ready to load up.