CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hitchhiking Coon????
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A friend and I were driving along a highway the other day returning from looking around in some new hunting woods. As I was driving along the road we spotted some type of animal standing on the right side of the pavement, fully erect on its rear legs. Unsure what it was, we realized it was an adult coon just as we passed by no more than five feet from the animal. I stopped and began backing up to get a better look at this coon. After I backed past it and stopped, it got down on all fours and ambled around the front of the truck. As I rolled my window down for a better look it stopped just under the window and looked straight at me. It then proceded to climb up on the step bars and reach up as if it wanted to get in with us. I immediately rolled up the window with thoughts of rabid, madness, sickness, etc. I didn't know what to do. Finally after a couple of minutes I put the truck in gear to ease forward to see if it would get off. There were two other vehicles coming, each from opposite directions and were both going to meet about where we were at. I still didn't know what to do. Finally as I slowly eased forward it jumped off and continued to follow us. Not wanting to create a traffic hazard I sped up and drove off. It went off into the ditch just before the other vehicles got to it. When it was close to me it didn't appear to be rabid or sick. We also didn't have a gun either if it had been. My friend said that he figured the coon had heard how good some of our dogs are and just wanted to go ahead and give up. He has told others that. But what do any of you think? Could it have been sick or rabid? Could it have been a pet coon that got to big or mean and somebody had dumped it out as there were no houses within a mile or two? I lean toward this idea. Or was it wanting to give up???? Opinions. P.S. We neither drink nor use mind altering meds!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:20 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Speaking of that we had a coon on a bridge and our bus driver opened up the door and the coon got on but jumped back out. Anyways, I think it was a pet coon. They seem to get older and go find a den. They still go home from time to time though.

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject: Sick Coon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You did not mention if the coon was fat and looked to be in good physical healthy condition ?. Different diseases affect coons in different ways. I always play it safe. If a wild coon wants to get close and personal with me, I figure that something is not right with it. Rabid, distemper or something else. It is just not normal for a wild coon to want to get up close to a human. Unless you know for a fact it is someone's pet coon (has a collar around it's neck, painted toe nails or wearing sun shades) then I suggest you steer clear of it or dispose of it humanely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sometimes though the coons figure out that humans mean food. Maybe the coon was hungry

Curs Rule

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33dv1i1&s=7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

maybe he just wanting a ride to the city