CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a three year old female bluetick and was wanting to take her camping and hiking and canoeing. Just wanted to know any tips on this breed for such activities. Have ya'll had any experience.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Some dogs are smart enough to know when they are hunting and when they are not. I guess the only way to know is to take her out and see how she acts.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a mountain cur named turbo that is a year and a half old. I've had him since he was 4 months old. I am a college student that lives in an apartment. Turbo is house broken, and goes everywhere with me while I'm in school. I take him hiking, fishing, to the park, to ball games, and anything else you can imagine. He knows when it's time to hunt and when it's time to stay by my side. He is no comp dog but he's a real pleasure to hunt and handle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

doubleslammer wrote:
I just got a three year old female bluetick and was wanting to take her camping and hiking and canoeing. Just to know any tips on this breed for such activities. Have ya'll had any experience.

None with Blueticks per se, but a good bit with other hounds. One breed there is no way I would have even tried it. But a good part of the reason I hunt what I hunt now is I met a fellow at a big hunt that let his dog go loose to follow him around. The dog was not a butsniffer to dogs chained but he could tell the bad ones and stayed out of range of teeth. Mostly just followed him around. I bought a pup off him. I did a whole lots of woods walking with that pup. Anyway he grew up and I took pleasure in doing the same thing with him at the hunts waiting for the casts to be called, Never a problem. Then I kept a pup off him that was like the spitting image of his dad and granddad. The problem was I got to the un official friendly hunt in the late afternoon and turned both of the loose to walk around together. They would come and sit and lay on the picnick tables whenever I clicked my fingers. They acted fine meeting other dogs and I took my eye off them. Getting late , they decided to go hunting . The casts were called and gone by the time I got them back. I never took a rifle out that afternoon so I was surprised about them taking off.
My point being, you never know. A daytime coon might happen by. I'd keep a sharp eye on any hound on the loose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i would make sure i had a name plate on the dogs collar.i was taken my cur dog fishing last year,he was about 3 months old and he stayed pretty close around me,but by the time he was 5 or 6 months old he was going off into the woods treeing squirrels.i had to stop taken him cause i was spending more time going to him then i was fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have been hunting, camping, canoeing and backpack hiking for over 60 years.

BELIEVE ME===the only activity where you can enjoy a hound, is hunting==the others amount to TROUBLE=TROUBLE==TROUBLE.

The Swamp Guide