CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First night out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Annie is a 11 month old black and high tan I gave to my grandson when she was 12 weeks old. The gearing up impressed me. Very aggressive on caged coon and her nose is to the ground on the romps through the woods with him. I'm as revved up as my grandson at what we are seeing in her. Last night her first real test. Perfect night for it. Misting rain, cool, and I can't describe the feelings of a proud grandpa to be in the woods with grandson and his dog. Well it didn't go or end well. Annie hunted, nose to ground, checked a few trees, in general showed interest. But never got out of sight. Not my first rodeo and I didn't expect alot from her first night out, but my grandson was totally disgusted. Tried to explain to him she was still a puppy and her first night out was like his first day at school. Takes time, and alot of disappointments, but she'll come around and make a good solid coon dog. Annie never opened that voice, and Justin was ready to go home. I saw alot of positives but he was not impressed at all. My disappointment was not Annie, but Justin's disgust. He expected too much from her and the end result was him missing the trill of hunting. I'm not worried about Annie. She'll make a coon dog. Worried about my 13 year old grandson expectations.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: First night out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was the same way when I first got into Huntin but i didn't know much of anything about coon Huntin n I got out of it for a few years then just got the wild hair up my ##*%* to charge everything up n load th hounds up n go hunt n ever since that night if I ain't farmin I'm coon Huntin. Take that pup out with an older hound that knows wat he is doin with the pup n take ur grandson back out he will be amazed the differences how she is. He needs to know she's still a pup n is prolly scared to take off in the dark woods alone. I know I was the first couple times I went Huntin alone when I was a kid. Just keep on ur grandson bout Huntin once that pup takes off he will do a 180 in a hurry

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks for the encouragement. Been looking for a trainer dog but so far nothing I can afford. Decided to hunt Annie a few times just me and her and see if I can build up her confidence. Know she has it in her. Thank-you for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:07 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Augh the ups and downs of a solo young hound. Annie went hunting tonight. Ranged out and hunted hard. No meat, but was alot happier with her 2-nite. Put some fur in her mouth and she'll take off. Jumped a deer 2-nite and she showed no interest. Really like this hound!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

good luck with annie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Jkirts379 wrote:
I was the same way when I first got into Huntin but i didn't know much of anything about coon Huntin n I got out of it for a few years then just got the wild hair up my ##*%* to charge everything up n load th hounds up n go hunt n ever since that night if I ain't farmin I'm coon Huntin. Take that pup out with an older hound that knows wat he is doin with the pup n take ur grandson back out he will be amazed the differences how she is. He needs to know she's still a pup n is prolly scared to take off in the dark woods alone. I know I was the first couple times I went Huntin alone when I was a kid. Just keep on ur grandson bout Huntin once that pup takes off he will do a 180 in a hurry

If I did have to strat back over with a pup without a dog that also was an imbacile , I think that I would like to thinkthat I would just quit. but I have done it all befrore. I swould buy me a lab type of dog that trees tike a lab fetches up a sock at six weeks old and then I would go about about braking him of his genetic potential. stead of trying to get him to fetch,. JMO.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Call Fox News, CNN, or somebody!!! Annie Treed last-night. Have a great place to hunt, along a shallow running creek, and knew if I kept at it, it'd happen. Well she's gotten alot better at ranging and then checking in. Was on a walk forward when she threw her nose up, half whined and growled then bailed across creek bawled twice and sat down. There was the meat up a small ash. Left her treeing til we both had a headache, then put it down. Unfortunately my grandson wasn't with me. Only problem was she didn't want to leave the tree, but I leashed her and she went on. Ranged farther and longer. Have a hunt planned with another gentleman. She'll b fine...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Call Fox News, CNN, or somebody!!! Annie Treed last-night. Have a great place to hunt, along a shallow running creek, and knew if I kept at it, it'd happen. Well she's gotten alot better at ranging and then checking in. Was on a walk forward when she threw her nose up, half whined and growled then bailed across creek bawled twice and sat down. There was the meat up a small ash. Left her treeing til we both had a headache, then put it down. Unfortunately my grandson wasn't with me. Only problem was she didn't want to leave the tree, but I leashed her and she went on. Ranged farther and longer. Have a hunt planned with another gentleman. She'll b fine...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

you got the bull by the horn on a down hill drag now.good luck with annie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks Skeets. Feels so good to see a young dog take hold and go. Wish you could have seen the look on Justin's face when he saw that hide. Both will be fine and I feel so good inside being able to pass down my love of the sport to my grandson. Will do nothing but pleasure hunt and the bond between boy and hound is strong in both of them. Good luck to you and your's and God Bless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i would have liked to have seen his face i bet his eyes were as big as silver dollars lol.its just a matter of time before ole annie will tree one for your grandson and then he will be hooked.god bless yall.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a pup that was the same, and have seen many pups the same way, but one night it's just like someone flips a switch and they take off almost like a pro. It's a pretty cool feelin/experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Larry D wrote:
Annie is a 11 month old black and high tan I gave to my grandson when she was 12 weeks old. The gearing up impressed me. Very aggressive on caged coon and her nose is to the ground on the romps through the woods with him. I'm as revved up as my grandson at what we are seeing in her. Last night her first real test. Perfect night for it. Misting rain, cool, and I can't describe the feelings of a proud grandpa to be in the woods with grandson and his dog. Well it didn't go or end well. Annie hunted, nose to ground, checked a few trees, in general showed interest. But never got out of sight. Not my first rodeo and I didn't expect alot from her first night out, but my grandson was totally disgusted. Tried to explain to him she was still a puppy and her first night out was like his first day at school. Takes time, and alot of disappointments, but she'll come around and make a good solid coon dog. Annie never opened that voice, and Justin was ready to go home. I saw alot of positives but he was not impressed at all. My disappointment was not Annie, but Justin's disgust. He expected too much from her and the end result was him missing the trill of hunting. I'm not worried about Annie. She'll make a coon dog. Worried about my 13 year old grandson expectations.

Don't worry about your 13 year old grandson. He might find a particular interest in ducks or pointing birds or deer or music. it's good to take him hunting but next weekend take him to the opera or a car race or football game. If he is a coon hunter he will coonhunt on his own and if you didn't like coonhunting you might as well be trying to keep him out of bars if that is what he likes. LOL You can't put a trash breaking collar on him no more than a nighthunting desire in him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You're right. Anything to keep him on the straight and narrow. But I think the hunting bug has already bitten him. Soon as he comes home from school he's in the woods. Annie coming along fine. He got to hear her open, but coon fooled her in the creek. I had forgotten how much fun it is watching a young hound work and learn. Got an old hound now, but only hunting him a couple nights a week with her. Don't want her to be a "Me Too". Justin loves coon hunting and that hound. Me? I'm one proud worn out Grandpa' LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

iam glad you and justin are haveing a ball.my boys dont hunt much with me,i think i burned them out along time ago lol.one of em does that civil war renactment stuff and the other is a guitar playing fool,i just always coon hunted.lol