CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took my little hound girl out tonight, when all of a sudden across the way we heard a good size rustling in the bushes. Along with the rustling bushes I heard what sounded like a pig type snort, but we have no boar here. Whatever it was sounded like it had to be the size of a full grown lab.

Little hound girl pulled on her leash and wanted to go home right now! I held her close to me and could feel her heart racing like she was about to encounter a Sasquatch.

She is 9 weeks old, walker coonhound, is it normal being so young for them to become so afraid? Or is my little hound girl part weener dog LOL

β€œIt's strange indeed how memories can lie dormant in a man's mind for so many years. Yet those memories can be awakened and brought forth fresh and new, just by something you've seen, or something you've heard, or the sight of an old familiar face.”
― Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

At that age I would not worry about her wanting to run away. Its the ones that aren't afraid at that age you've got to be worried about.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Really? Why is that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think what ugean was talking bout is a hound that doesn't try to think things through, sniff around or atleast investigate without running full-bore into the unknown can be very dangerous for a dog in the wild. There are several predators out there, including big pieces of iron with 4 wheels that can and will make little work of over ambitious dogs that run with reckless abandon. Are you picking up what Im trying to lay down for you? In other words, smart dogs make GOOD dogs. Don't be worried about a 9 wk. pup that fears the unknown. Sounds like you have a typical animal that has a keen sense of survival, NOT a "weener" hound! lol
Good Luck and have LOTS and LOTS of patience training that pup. Love and understanding is the only thing that pup needs at that age......and a lil time in the woods wont hurt either. That dog will learn that doing what you want him to makes you happy and in return will make HIM happy too. THATS what love and understanding will teach him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you Garth, I understand. I suppose I was just under the impression that they would become alert and maybe bark as a reaction to the unknown as opposed to becoming so afraid.

She's a good girl, very obedient and we love her very much. It was just a very interesting first encounter. We have taken her out to the woods once so far and plan to try and go back this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds great Cooner. I know what that love is for your pup and I hope she makes for you! Please keep me updated, I always like to hear stories about young pups learning the trade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dogs that just go after anything end up getting chewed up or sprayed by a skunk! At that age even a possum would put a hurting on it. A dog that doesn't know better than not to pick a fight it can't win is a losing dog to me. At that age there should be a natural fear of a lot of things in life. Out in the wild at that age they are still the prey. A pup that has a bold enough personality to run after something in the brush it has never encountered before is going to be a handful when its big enough to do damage.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My pup was like that and wouldnt go very far when she first started hunting. Every hunt she keeps going farther and farther into the woods and hunts well now. i thought the same thing whenever she was acting like that but she finally came around and started to get more brave.