It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ole Scarface
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:26 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Ole Scarface

A few years back, I was out on a spring bear chasing outing with a buddy. We found an old dead cow piled up next to the road in a wash at the bottom of a canyon. There were a set of large boar tracks on the cow but they looked old, so I threw LionHeart, Ryan and Ike out on the tracks.

They snorted around a bit and had trouble moving the track, as the morning was late and the sun was warming things up. So we picked them up and drove on up the next canyon.

After the canyon narrowed up, those same hounds started to rig a little so I put them back down. They worked their way up an adjacent wash but didn’t give much voice. Soon they were back on the road and I figured they’d quit the track, so I pulled them again.

We drove on up the canyon and soon noticed those same large boar tracks on the hard surface, so we moved along slowly to find where that boar left the road. About then it started raining which soon turned to a hail storm. What bad luck I thought. In a short time the road was covered with a thin, white layer of ail and those tracks were covered.

That LionHeart hound of mine was always the best at moving tough tracks down a road when sign was lost, so we put her down. She headed up the road silent for nearly a mile and then took a sharp left into the sagebrush just below a spring, so I threw Rowen, Ryan and Ike in behind her. My buddy also dumped his yearlings into the race.

The track was plenty tough and four of the seven dogs quit it, leaving LionHeart, Rowen and Ryan to stop the ole Brute. And they did fall on the wood about mid-afternoon.

We walked into the tree and found a huge dark chocolate to black boar in the tree. His left eye had a vertical scar right down across the middle of it, an old battle wound from chasing the ladies and fighting the boars I’d suspect. So we named him ole Scarface.

I’ve often thought about that ole boar, and even cut his tracks from time to time, but never with my hounds along. And I’ve often wondered whether anybody will ever kill him or if he’ll just die of old age, because he was top of the food chain then.

Gee, I’m still pumped for bears, how bout you guys?

The ikester

Image[/img]

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Awesome story! You guys and gals out West got some great tracking. You all are like me....let the big ones go for another day!

Post subject: another
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

another good story ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

good story Ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Yes, that was a good story. Thanks for sharing it.