CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What is an "average" number of coon for hunters in a night?
1-5 72%  72%  [ 84 ]
6-10 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
10-20 9%  9%  [ 11 ]
Over 20 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 116
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just a little thought to give some hunters a bit to talk about. Our best was 22 in a night with a nice English Hound. Did it all by himself!

"It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions."
-Mark Twain

"Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each."
-Plato

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:18 am 
IP:
Gentlemen,

The most coon as well as the best night I ever had out hunting
was with my two walkers, Cotton Joe and Sue May.
It was 25 years ago but the picture is still right here on my desk.
'8 coon and a Bobcat', $186.00 worth of fur in one night.

They were my puppies

J. Knife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:13 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

DO YOU MEAN COONS TAKEN OR COONS SEEN IVOTED 6 TO 10 USELY DONT TAKE BUT 0NE IF ANY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Unless you are just overrun with coons taking more than 2 or 3 in one night is too many. That is the way that coon populations get completely wiped out in areas where people take that many in one night. None of my dogs get more than 2 knocked out to them any night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 pm 
IP:
I shot 16 in one night and was home in time to watch the ten oclock news. Coon populations getting taken out is crazy. I kill between 100-150 coon a year of the same land and have been doing that for 15+years. And before that my grandpa was taken 75-100 per year off a little less land but always hunting the same ground for 45+ years. For the most part I only shot 3 to 5 coon a night cause I don't want to skin more than that the next day. Unless I can see the coon is a small kit while it's in the tree it gets shot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i dont believe in killing more than one out of A TREE any time, meaning if there is one its coming out, if there is 4, only one is coming out... but i will drive there and pay YOU to see more than 10 coons knocked out of 10 or more trees in one night (within a 4-5 hr drive of mississippi, or 3-4 hrs from Ky) .... so back it up and get back in touch with me, sgtmike777@hotmail.com I wanna see this

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sgtmike,
It's not that hard to tree 10 coon in 10 trees in the upper midwest where coons are thick. I almost never hunt more than an hour or two and I bet if I kept track I would avg. 3 trees a night with fur in them. I rarely walk more than a mile round trip due to my hip replacements. It's a major difference between coon populations and the type of ground you're hunting. If you don't believe me drive up and hop in with any farmer this time of year that's harvesting corn along a river bottom. You'll probably see a couple coons every hundred yards. I'll hunt that same 100 acre piece of land about 30 times a year. 5 times during kill season and the last 2 years I took 16 and 18 coons off it. Have done this for years and they are back the next spring. If anything the populations have increased due to trappers not being able to make much money. If I brought my dog down to your house he'd probably never hit a track because he's not used to looking for one. That's why I sometimes dump him out where i least expect a coon just to make him have a challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have heard all kinds of things like I never shot anything out to my dog and I shot all the fur out of the tree. In "my book" it depends on where you are hunting. I know a guy who killed 47 in two nights in northern missouri. Out if the 47 only 3 of them were doubles. Of course there was corn all over and there were not to many hunters around. If you have a good hound like this man did you could of done the same thing. To have great hunts you have to go where the coon are and have a good dog!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Any body that says theyve tree more than 10 coons n one night is a liar. ive owned some d#*$ good dogs in my kife and huntd with the best and never treed more than 6.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Then you must not have any coon around, or you hunt the same spot all the time. I have heard old timers say, "You won't tree a coon if your not in the woods", and "No matter how good your dog is if you don't hunt where the coon are you won't tree one either."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Logan, you must not get out of your little area very much if you don't think you can tree 10 coons in one night. I know people around my county that have treed 25 easily and their dogs were not superstars at all. And for those of you who think it would wipe out the coon, it's been going on since before I was born, and we've never had a decline in the population. If you think my 75-100 coons shot per year is going to hurt the coon population, you should go sit on your tailgate outside the fur buyer's door for a couple hours and see the trappers who are bringing them in 100 at a time all taken from a 10 mile road line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That might be alright up there where any dog can tree a coon out of a corn field. There's a big difference in treeing one up there and down here in East TN. Hunting nothing but hills and hollers, 25 coons in one night is all but impossible unless you're hunting off buckets all night every night that are in a honey hole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We treed 10 coon twice this last season and 11 coon once this was with 1 dog that was only a year and half old

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm 
IP:
There has been many of a night that we wouldnt go home till we treed 15 coons.That was witha very special kind of dog that could tree a coon in less than 60 seconds.This dog could do that alot.But that dog is dead and gone and if i see 3 coons a night now im happy.On a good night we might see 6 or 8.Good places to coon hunt are geting few and far between here in ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:46 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

most i have killed in a nite is 5 coon hunting these sc swamps and thats hunting 4 hours not all nite and i only shoot out one coon if thiers more up the tree i leave them for next time