CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i need a tracking system and a shocking system, preferrably a garmin and a tri-tronics... which would u buy first? the tracker or the trainer? tired of hunting the old fashioned way lol

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

For me, it would depend on what your situation is. If you have got a young dog or two that you are hunting, and they are still prone to a little trash running, not handling well, or doing other things where correction is needed, then I would probably go with the e-collar.

If you have broke dogs that just get out and hunt, nothing increases peace of mind like a good tracking system. I switched from the QuikTrack to the Garmin this summer, and love it. I especially like knowing when I can drive around and pick them up on the road instead of just getting close with the beepers.

So, like I said, for me it would depend on your situation. Both are invaluable for what they are intended for. For what it's worth, I have run both for several years now on the dogs I have now or have owned in the past. The Tritronics is worn on every dog until they are about 16 months old (or younger). After that, I've almost always got enough confidence my young dog has been properly trained/broke/started that I don't need it.

The tracking collar, on the other hand, gets put on their first true hunt and stays on 90% of the times I turn out until they can't hunt anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 am 
IP:
My opinion is tracking collar first if you're anything like me. I purchased my tracking collar a few months before I got my shock collar (I have the same brands you are hoping to get). The tracking collar gives me a lot more comfort when I set loose my hound, because I know where he is and have a vague idea of what he's doing (because it's the Garmin and I can map his movements). The tracking collar also saved his life once when he went through some ice and I only knew to start running because he was supposedly treed for several minutes but there was zero bawling. Tons of dogs run without tracking collars and everybody is just fine, so maybe just the sense of comfort I have knowing exactly where my dog is might be the reason I say tracker first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got back in to running hounds this year.I bought the Garmin first.didn't want to loose what I just bought.I like the fact that I know where my dogs are at all times and can see exactly what my young dog is doing.that didn't help when the young dog took out after a deer though fri. night.took her back to the bed she jumped it from and had a heart to heart with her.with the Garmin I can find them when they are treed in deep ravines where I cant hear them .no more running around looking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well if not for my tracking system l would be short one hound , he got his head stuck between 2 trees and would be dead if he did not have a collar on so we could find him!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:31 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

definatley the garmin. i run both on any dog i drop out and the combination gives a somewhat sense of security while hunting. good luck.