CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dog food
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I usually switch up on feed every now and then. Because think about it if you eat pizza every day for a year your going to get tired of it and want a cheese burger. So help your dog out and feed him somthing different for a change.

HOME OF "PR" STYLISH BANDIT AKA (BANJIO)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:56 pm 
IP:
I have been too several purina dog food plants, and have had the privlidge (ha lol ) the misfortune of working at a dog food plant that manufactures ole roy dog food for wallmart. i cant tell you the name of this plant but its not ole roy, and its not the wallmart corp. they make you sign a contract saying you won't tell anyone. This plant also makes iam's and and several others, besides there own name brand. i can assure you all dog food from big names has fillers in it. it comes in on tanker loads fats chicken lips and butts ect . i even seen one break in half on the truck scale nasty mess . then there is the slightly better dog food that has more meat witch comes in on truck too when they come in they smell like putrid rancid garbage trucks, after unload there washed and sometimes they sprinkle a crystalized deoderizer in them. There not refer units. i consider dog food in general funny because there mostley made up of grains like cereal. and dogs in the wild don't sit there and eat a busshell of wheat and rice with a meat flavored gravy dressing. Also ive seen multiple truck loads of dog food thrown away because it didn't come out the right shade of brown. (you wouldn't eat it but dogs love it !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

that's why i went to feeding chicken necks. protein and bone marrow. dogs love it. crap less and doesn't stink. cut my feed bill in half

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Night runner,
I agree with ya! I also think the hounds would like a change every now and then. But i feed ol' roy and my dogs love it. It keeps them in shape real well and they love the taste!! just my opion.

Has anyone fed shawnee dog food 27% 18% i bielieve?

Post subject: Re: OL'Roy dog food
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I fed Black Gold for bout 2yrs & liked the results, but since the price kept going up I had to switch. I was paying $32/40lbs for the (black bag) 26/18. Now that Im out of work things are tight so i am trying Ol Roy high performance @ $22/50lbs. And we will see how the hounds perform & look in the New England winter on Ol Roy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:33 am 
IP:
How come alot of you folks think about this feed or that feed yet toss the thought of feeding a RAW diet to the wayside?

Honestly the benifits completely outwiegh the time spent preparing the feed.Is it that some folks just think you have to feed what is "cool" at the time?

I mean no disrespect I am just wondering.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am 
IP:
I just bought a dog a week ago that was fed boiled cow and corn. I tried feeding him ol-roy and now he is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I run my dogs 6 days a week and now with the new Garmin system I can keep track of the mileage they put on in a day. They are averageing just over 17 miles a day at a speed of over 6 mph. What do I feed, Old Roy Performance and Old Roy Gravy mix to ensure they get there fluids back up. These dogs are running in snow and cold temps and are in great shape and waiting at the kennel door in the morning.
I read all the hype over dog food and the one post had it right when they mentioned that most is made at one plant and the garabage they add into it. Do I need to do grocery's at a Fancy Natural Food over priced fancy store or can I survive by shopping at Hannafords.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:19 am 
IP:
the last 50 lb bage of OL ROY I bought was 23.00 Last 50 lb of DIMOND HIGH PERFORM was 21.99 Even the bags will tell you that dimond is better at a cheaper cost. Not everyone sells DIMOND at 21.99 but check your local grain company.

Post subject: Re: purina?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ratdaddy1 wrote:
keep in mind boys purina is one of the largest backers of peta and anti there is .

Is that something you have heard or you know first hand?
Purina sponsors more dog hunting events than any other feed company out there.
You should get your facts straight before you go slandering a company that promotes the use of dogs for hunting and supports hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:29 am 
IP:
This past year I've come to believe something.

If only people who treated their dogs the way I think dogs should be treated were allowed to own dogs... then a million more dogs would be euthanized every year. If the same was said for somebody who has stricter ideals than I have... then make that 2 million dogs.

If somebody feeds Ol'Roy because they just can't afford a better dog food, well, at least their dog is better eating it than the dog would be dead (or passed around home to home since let's be honest... not all dogs are desired by anybody but their owners).

There was a five month period last summer where my dogs ate absolute crap. About as crappy as you can get actually. I couldn't afford anything better. Somebody told me I should give them away rather than feed them junk. I disagreed then and still do now. So if Ol'Roy is the option you have, then go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:03 pm 
IP:
MTCoonHunter wrote:
So if Ol'Roy is the option you have, then go for it.

The thing is feeding RAW with the way Jack has showed...it's cheaper than Ol'Roy not to mention it's 1000x better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:18 pm 
IP:
feeding raw is perceived as hard. where do you get your parts and pieces. Drive all over, buy from a baloney factory, dumpster dive?

I am feeding Black Gold but the last 6 months the quality has gone down hill. Every bag we and my supplier has opened has kibble and bits mixed throughout the bag. Often we find softball sized clumps. I assume they spray on the fat and it is bagged before it is completely dry. the price has gone from $18 to $25 kennel rate too. They claimed the corn prices were the reason. Well corn is down. BG isn't!

My supplier is trying Sportmix. We can get it $19.50 individually ($6 less than BG). We haven't even priced kennel rate or dealer rate. In theory we will save even more buying in bulk. I refuse to buy a 35# bag. that is a gimmick to raise the price. Try to find a quart of ice cream lately? :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:47 pm 
IP:
[quote="Gunpowder"]feeding raw is perceived as hard. where do you get your parts and pieces. Drive all over, buy from a baloney factory, dumpster dive?

quote]

Wal-Mart....every ingrediant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:
This past year I've come to believe something.

If only people who treated their dogs the way I think dogs should be treated were allowed to own dogs... then a million more dogs would be euthanized every year. If the same was said for somebody who has stricter ideals than I have... then make that 2 million dogs.

If somebody feeds Ol'Roy because they just can't afford a better dog food, well, at least their dog is better eating it than the dog would be dead (or passed around home to home since let's be honest... not all dogs are desired by anybody but their owners).

There was a five month period last summer where my dogs ate absolute crap. About as crappy as you can get actually. I couldn't afford anything better. Somebody told me I should give them away rather than feed them junk. I disagreed then and still do now. So if Ol'Roy is the option you have, then go for it.

Kyra..you are right on the money with everything you said. A dog on Ol Roy is better than a starving dog anyday. I have had many dogs on Ol Roy for their lives and they dies of old age and some had to be put down. You do what you have to do and nobody can tell you otherwise unless they are willing to supply you with the money for the food.