CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:11 pm 
IP:
Probably because they can buy them in bulk and retail stores have such a high mark-up. I saved $180 by using Ebay rather than the store here in town that sells them. I just learned the other day what I knew in theory, be careful of who you buy from! I got ripped off on a shock collar. Bought a used one from someone with a high approval rating, but hadn't sold many things. Now if I'm buying something expensive I'll pay a few bucks more through a power seller.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Im not getting near the signal quality with the low profile ant. as the factory ant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah i used the low pro antenna and got poor reception, then i broke it and had to use the rubber one but i think the rubber one is tougher any way but i picked up the one i had made today and gonna pressure test it tommorow (had tornado warnings tonight)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

So what you are all saying, is that if a guy were to just use the longer rubber antennas and use something to counter balance the GPS and make it ride at 12 o'clock, it would be a great 2-mile unit?

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:59 am 
IP:
has anyone used one in the summer time with all the leaves on the trees if so how did they work, i dont wanna go and buy nothing that i cant use year round no wat i mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:14 am 
IP:
I found when my dog was in real thick brush that covered his head we lost reception (and I was 10 feet away). I imagine the same would occur with thick leaf cover from trees, but I don't know. He'd pop back into reception whenever he came out though, so I wasn't too worried about that.
My problem with the full-sized antenna is just due to my dog's personal style--he's obsessed with squeezing into locations where no dog should actually fit. Doing that he puts such a strain on the longer antenna that it just can't survive more than a short time. I've had to switch to the low profile for him for that reason alone (my other dog will have the normal antenna). Breaking or not, either way I can't win! :)
I chose the Garmin over the normal radio collars because using it as a GPS I don't get lost in the woods. I get lost easy, unlike my husband who grew up in the woods and knows how to use land marks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:25 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

MTCoonHunter wrote:
I chose the Garmin over the normal radio collars because using it as a GPS I don't get lost in the woods. I get lost easy, unlike my husband who grew up in the woods and knows how to use land marks.

Radio Tracking Collars and a $5.00 compass for me.

An old fashion $5 compass has no batteries to go dead or signal to be lost due to think cover.

I have seen both happen to guys in the woods..........that is why I still take a compass reading even hunting with those that have a GPS.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:40 am 
IP:
I dont get it either Buckshot for the same price of one of those gps contraprions you can buy a top of the line Marshall system and they get a heck of alot more range. It only takes 2 seconds to learn to use, go to the strongest beep LOL But I guess its like everything else these days people got to have the newest thing out there even though theres stuff already out there that works better.

Post subject: gps
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 pm 
IP:
i dont own nothin but a compass never been lost, never come out where i went in but never lost i think im just gonna stick with the compass but i did go on a comp hunt last weekend as a guide and one of the guys give me his gps to play with i have to admit it worked in the woods but there was no leaves on the trees and it wasnt thick it worked great. but i just cant see it working int he summer time unless your in feilds or where there is hardly no trees thats jmo tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i think it a great tool to use. I did not appreciate it til i used it. i use it with another tracking colar but it sure is nice to see where your dog is and as far as reception goes all you can lean on is about a mile if it does loose signal within that range you usually get it back in seconds. i still check the compass i carry but it sure is nice to have the gps as a guideline i havent had a problem finding sattelites even in the densest pine thikets wile running hogdogs. o yeah the unit is waterproof. i fell in a bever run an swam the rest of the way with it tied around my neck gets a solid thumbs up from me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As far as reception goes, if Garmin made a directional antenna, like you use with the beep-beeps, your range would automatically increase greatly. All you would have to do is plug it into the GPS and point it where it says the dog is/was and poof! greater tracking range. I am a HAM radio operator and plan on making myself such an antenna as soon as I buy my Astro.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 pm 
IP:
Doogie Dawg wrote:
I dont get it either Buckshot for the same price of one of those gps contraprions you can buy a top of the line Marshall system and they get a heck of alot more range. It only takes 2 seconds to learn to use, go to the strongest beep LOL But I guess its like everything else these days people got to have the newest thing out there even though theres stuff already out there that works better.

Portability. Also, I don't have a traditional tracker. Just bought my Astro fromtCabela's for $399. Might get in the used market for that price but it wouldn't be portable and would look used too.

I haven't put it on a dog yet but sent my son out on the gator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Gunpowder wrote:
Doogie Dawg wrote:

Portability. Also, I don't have a traditional tracker. Just bought my Astro fromtCabela's for $399. Might get in the used market for that price but it wouldn't be portable and would look used too.

I haven't put it on a dog yet but sent my son out on the gator.

$399???????? I wish I could find it for that price!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:18 pm 
IP:
I found it in the return room at the local Cabela's. Everything discounted. I bought Topo '08 on discount too. Looked like it had never been used/turned on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i bought mine off of amazon.com just search through the "other prices" and you can get one for 450 or so. i pd 500 then i was lookin later on and found one for 460 plus you can get all kinda accessories from them also for one shipping price

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next